General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User donka
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-20 17:59:16
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk FTTP

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Yup, it was this one:

https://www.toolstation.com/magnetic-pick-up-tool/p7...
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Oct-20 18:02:06
Print Post

[re: donka] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by donka:
Yup, it was this one:

https://www.toolstation.com/magnetic-pick-up-tool/p7...
Thanks, may have a few uses for that wink
Standard User burble
(committed) Mon 26-Oct-20 21:12:18
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

We have them in the toolbox, never a good idea to leave a dropped bolt, or whatever, floating about in a aircraft.
Lucky you getting sorted, I've given up on TT, they can't answer what should be the most simple of questions, and when they think I'm a new customer (on my exchange) they offer FTTP, but when it goes further the order gets cancelled.
We are now considering moving from this house into one we built a few years back, once we have got some changes made to it, so a two year contract is out of question.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Holloway
(newbie) Tue 27-Oct-20 13:48:35
Print Post

[re: Dean83] [link to this post]

Have many people signed up for TalkTalk's Openreach FTTP? I'm with BT and have been for nearly 3 years. I'm tempted to switch to their 500 package as it's £10 cheaper than BT. I was on BT's 300 package and upgraded as was out of contract, but I'm not seeing anywhere near 500 over WiFi when I was consistently getting 300 over WiFi on my old package. Not worth 49.99 in my opinion!

I'm also worried that my connection might drop or TT's backhaul isn't as reliable as BT's. I've not had any drop outs or issues with BT so far and I've never had to contact support.

What's the switch like from BT to TT? Is there any downtime?
What's the router like that's provided from TT? What's the model?
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Tue 27-Oct-20 14:06:21
Print Post

[re: Holloway] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Holloway:
Have many people signed up for TalkTalk's Openreach FTTP? I'm with BT and have been for nearly 3 years. I'm tempted to switch to their 500 package as it's £10 cheaper than BT. I was on BT's 300 package and upgraded as was out of contract, but I'm not seeing anywhere near 500 over WiFi when I was consistently getting 300 over WiFi on my old package. Not worth 49.99 in my opinion!

I'm also worried that my connection might drop or TT's backhaul isn't as reliable as BT's. I've not had any drop outs or issues with BT so far and I've never had to contact support.

Getting 500mbps over WiFi isn't very easy and most equipment won't be able to do this.

Most 2x2 AC WiFi cards top out at around 866mbps, however that is full duplex. As WiFi is half duplex the maximum speed is actually half this at around 433mbps. Added (well reduced) from this are overheads. I don't think you'd get more than 95% of the above 433mbps which then leaves you in best case at 390mbps. Then conitnue to add in distance from the router (as you'd only get the 390mbps really close to the router) and you can see where this is going. After all this you've then got interference from other networks. This all adds up to give WiFi quite the bottle neck for a 500mbps connection.

Of course, there is now WiFi 6, and there were also 3x3 AC cards etc, but these are not that common.
Standard User Holloway
(newbie) Tue 27-Oct-20 14:58:30
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
In reply to a post by Holloway:

Getting 500mbps over WiFi isn't very easy and most equipment won't be able to do this.

Most 2x2 AC WiFi cards top out at around 866mbps, however that is full duplex. As WiFi is half duplex the maximum speed is actually half this at around 433mbps. Added (well reduced) from this are overheads. I don't think you'd get more than 95% of the above 433mbps which then leaves you in best case at 390mbps. Then conitnue to add in distance from the router (as you'd only get the 390mbps really close to the router) and you can see where this is going. After all this you've then got interference from other networks. This all adds up to give WiFi quite the bottle neck for a 500mbps connection.

Of course, there is now WiFi 6, and there were also 3x3 AC cards etc, but these are not that common.

This is exactly my logic for the 500 product not being worth 49.99. BT are offering their 300 product to new customers for 39.99 but they won't let me choose that, only 500 for 49.99. There doesn't seem to be much point in paying BT 49.99 when I could pay 39.99 to TalkTalk and still get 300 easily on WiFi.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Tue 27-Oct-20 15:02:44
Print Post

If you wanted to make use of the 500mbps you could by utilising a network cable and/or upgrading you WiFi, so I don't think £10 extra is unreasonable, however it comes down to use cases.

If people don't need 300mbps, then they also don't need 500mbps, so yes, in this case it's a waste of money.
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Tue 27-Oct-20 15:07:36
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:

Most 2x2 AC WiFi cards top out at around 866mbps, however that is full duplex. As WiFi is half duplex the maximum speed is actually half this at around 433mbps. Added (well reduced) from this are overheads. I don't think you'd get more than 95% of the above 433mbps which then leaves you in best case at 390mbps.

Sorry but that's incorrect. Quite easy to get more than 500 Mbps on 2x2 WiFi ac clients. Its all about the quality of hardware used at both ends and the environment. Its even possible to get over a Gigabit over wifi 5 if using a 1024QAM 4x4 router and pairing that with a 1024 QAM wifi 5 card such as the Asus PCE-AC88U.

This is what I'm consistently getting on an iPhone X (2x2 wifi ac) on a 1 Gig FTTP line, i'm 100% sure the phone isn't breaking any laws of physics.

https://postimg.cc/fJPzY714

And on an iPhone 12 Pro (2x2 wifi ax):

https://postimg.cc/K1gZfky1

Contrary to popular opinion, using a wifi 6 router will even improve speeds on wifi 5 clients as the wifi 6 chipsets used offer better performance on legacy clients than previous wifi 5 & wifi 4 chipsets. I would also recommend using a proper high end 4x4+ consumer router (even as additional APs) rather than 2x2 or 3x3 wifi access points as the high end routers massively outperform ceiling mounted APs.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Tue 27-Oct-20 17:35:17)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Tue 27-Oct-20 15:37:38
Print Post

I have both a BT Business* FTTP 330/50 and a TalkTalk Business* FTTP 1000/115 line.

Both perform as expected, seeing speeds of 300+ on the BT line and 800+ on the TT line, both over wired and wifi 6 connections. I've found both BT's and TalkTalk's networks to be very good, no issues at all. This is the TBB BQM on my TalkTalk line:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

TalkTalk supply their 'Wifi Hub' which I've found very good for wired speeds but a bit meh for wireless speeds. Couldn't get more than 300 Mbps over wifi 5 but I prefer using my own router so not a big deal. The Netgear RAX200 which I'm using is light years ahead of the TalkTalk router wrt wifi speeds (with a price tag to match of course!)

*Despite being business products, the underlying Openreach product is the same as the one offered by BT Residential and TalkTalk Residential. The business features such as better SLA, static IPs, 7 day support etc don't actually affect the throughput and are purely extras.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Tue 27-Oct-20 16:16:38
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
And on an iPhone 12 Pro (2x2 wifi ax):

https://postimg.cc/K1gZfky1

WOW first time I have seen an iPhone 12 speed tested wired or WiFi.

Quite remarkable if I'm honest. shocked

What hardware does the latest iPhone have to achieve those speeds over the likes of my current iPhone 11 Pro Max, I know they are 5G capable.

BTBroadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to