General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jul-20 19:02:00
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk FTTP

[re: burble] [link to this post]

Do as Highland76 suggested and port the Talktalk number after the FTTP is live. This ceases the Talktalk broadband and phone.

I really can't see Talktalk residential being able to organise a number export while the service is live.
It's also a service which OpenReach charges the ISP a flat fee for (£35+vat) which Talktalk probably don't have a system in place to pass on to you the customer.

If porting the number to VOIP is a process that takes a couple weeks you could start it before the FTTP goes live and time it to happen a few days after that.
With the higher chance of delays in FTTP installs I would just wait till the service is active then port the number.
Standard User threelegs
(member) Tue 28-Jul-20 19:35:28
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

that is like saying lots of things are free if you dont use them. all isps should provide a landline or a bundled voip
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 00:08:43
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by threelegs:
the lack of a bundled copper landline will put many people off,me included, from signing up to tt fttp

As been said you can sign up for a VoIP system I have been using sipgate for years as i used it when I went for a wireless network and kept hold of it even when I went to FTTC. So if it came here, the lack of a copper landline would not be the problem, using Talk Talk would be and also I do not need the speed, so I would not pay the extra for the speed.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Wed 29-Jul-20 05:51:23
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
As been said you can sign up for a VoIP system I have been using sipgate for years as i used it when I went for a wireless network and kept hold of it even when I went to FTTC. So if it came here, the lack of a copper landline would not be the problem, using Talk Talk would be and also I do not need the speed, so I would not pay the extra for the speed.

100% with you there and my experience with SIP trunks over a multitude of broadband connection types mirrors your own.

ISPs should absolutely NOT be bungling (typo but I’ll leave it to emphasise the point) a voice service whether it be copper or VoIP with their broadband.

It stifles customer choice and flexibility and ties you into a tariff arrangement - great for the service provider and terrible for the customer - it’s akin to Microsoft bundling IE in their products....that didn’t end well.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 07:45:54
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
ISPs should absolutely NOT be bungling (typo but I’ll leave it to emphasise the point) a voice service whether it be copper or VoIP with their broadband.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, one reason to bundle it into the ISP provided router (e.g. "hub") is to ensure there is no QoS complexity for the home user. More important on slower lines than faster.

When the PSTN voice-over-copper switch off arrives, it will confuse a lot of people.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Wed 29-Jul-20 08:20:12
Print Post

the lack of a bundled copper landline will put many people off,me included, from signing up to tt fttp

I'd avoid the news about PSTN switch off and how even LLU operators are increasingly delivering services over VoIP rather than using regular copper landlines due to the cost savings.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User simon194
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jul-20 08:26:23
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

I had to top my Sipgate account up for the first time in around 4 years last month. I really only use it for daytime calls and phoning the UK when I'm abroad.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Wed 29-Jul-20 08:27:17
Print Post

It stifles customer choice and flexibility and ties you into a tariff arrangement - great for the service provider and terrible for the customer - it’s akin to Microsoft bundling IE in their products....that didn’t end well.

It doesn't tie you into anything. You can run a VoIP service over the top if you wish and for the most part digital voice services are basically free - the ISP is hoping to make a little money from calls and digital voice costs are negligible.

As far as ISPs not bundling services under apparently any circumstances cable companies do it because they can use a separate service flow for the voice which guarantees bandwidth on a shared network and uses modulation orders more resilient to noise so that even under network congestion or fault conditions the voice service continues to function short of total outage.

FTTP providers do it because they can use a separate VLAN with higher priority over the infrastructure provider's network, again to protect against congestion conditions, and using their own CPE they can also protect the voice call against congestion on the user's own capacity.

I'm thinking you've a lot of experience running services over broadband connections but none with broadband infrastructure itself. There are valid reasons for ISPs to at very least offer customers the option so writing it off in absolute terms is a bit much.

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Wed 29-Jul-20 08:29:14
Print Post

that is like saying lots of things are free if you dont use them. all isps should provide a landline or a bundled voip

ISP = Internet Service Provider. They should no more be obliged to provide a landline/VoIP than they are a Zoom account.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 08:31:29
Print Post

[
100% with you there and my experience with SIP trunks over a multitude of broadband connection types mirrors your own.

ISPs should absolutely [b]NOT be bungling (typo but I’ll leave it to emphasise the point) a voice service whether it be copper or VoIP with their broadband.

In another thread in a different part of this forum, someone said something about Trunk and when I had a look they offered SOGEA, but the price difference between that and normal FTTC was minimal. FTTP is a different thing, not that I have had anything to do with it as I doubt we will get it here and i have not been anywhere that has FTTP.
the one good thing about having a normal landline is if you use it for an emergency and you get cut off, before you say where you are, it is easier for the emergency services to find you.

I have not used my landline since going back to fixed lined broadband about 5 years back, maybe longer.

I doubt we will see FTTP here for years,

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to