General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 14:02:39
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk FTTP

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Potentially by installing the lowest cost data service possible and providing a VoIP service over top of it but the customer would pay voice service costs and wouldn't have access to the data service. To be honest it kind of reminds me of ISDN services.
Standard User Nick_W789
(learned) Wed 29-Jul-20 14:13:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
For those that just have a phone service, how will that be provided in the future?

There is a 0.5MB/S symmetrical tier for both SOGEA and FTTP, for VOIP and for devices with low bandwidth requirements (traffic lights, alarm systems and other IOT). Although slow, it is an Internet connection. ISPs will need to provide a router with VOIP functionality.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jul-20 14:50:51
Print Post

This data only I don't believe would be the end game for TalkTalk, my bet is that they are working on the new hardware and software side of voice service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Wangmaster
(newbie) Wed 29-Jul-20 15:44:20
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Thanks for link - phone call order only.

Phone call availability check only. Bemusing.

I assume it's because they can't just go by the openreach checker, as it also relies on TT having cablelinks installed in the customers telephone exchange.

Annoyingly my exchange is one without cablelinks currently installed, and I still have 15 months left on my TT contract.

Edited by Wangmaster (Wed 29-Jul-20 15:46:28)

Standard User burble
(committed) Wed 29-Jul-20 16:23:10
Print Post

[re: Wangmaster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Wangmaster:

I assume it's because they can't just go by the openreach checker, as it also relies on TT having cablelinks installed in the customers telephone exchange.

Annoyingly my exchange is one without cablelinks currently installed, and I still have 15 months left on my TT contract.

AFAIK BT will buy you out of contract.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 16:29:58
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

To be honest it kind of reminds me of ISDN services.

.... they are being phased out by 2025 too apparently.

{Praise Be ! I hate the damn things}

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 16:37:59
Print Post

I know of a block of ‘seniors living*’ flats, all are FTTP only. Many only take an FVA voice service .... I’m aware that FVA is going too, so it’ll be a phone jack, of some variety, on the back of a CP router.

* please note, this poster meets the criteria for said flats.

Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 29-Jul-20 16:47:41
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burble:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

AFAIK BT will buy you out of contract.

Indeed they will, up to £300 covered in early termination charges:

http://home.bt.com/-nbsp/switching-to-bt-broadband-h...

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User Dean83
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 12:45:16
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Also seems odd that there is such a difference in price between their G.fast based 'Fibre 150' at £28 and FTTP based 'future fibre 150' at £34.95

BT retail seem to apply the exact same price across the same speed tiers on different technologies ( e.g its the same price for g.fast or FTTP supplied 160/30 and 330/50 speeds )

is there a big difference in price at the openreach end for the circuit?
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Thu 30-Jul-20 13:17:33
Print Post

[re: Wangmaster] [link to this post]

If their internal staff can carry out the checks no reason why they can't deliver those results via a web page to the public.

I'd suggest they've rushed this launch and haven't built the functionality into the public-facing checker yet.

Which remains bemusing and the only real thought is that their internal systems are a mess as if they were any cop delivering those results to the public would be easy.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to