General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Dean83
(newbie) Mon 27-Jul-20 13:57:04
Print Post

Talk Talk FTTP

[link to this post]

Looks like talk talk are now selling openreach based FTTP.

i live in an FTTP greenfield area and received a mailer from them this morning for 'Future Fibre 150' which shows it as a full fibre connection ( not G.fast ).

mailer states that 'No landline service is provided'

£34.95 for 24 months.

the web address given in the flyer does not allow online orders though , it lists a number to call in
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Mon 27-Jul-20 14:35:40
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk FTTP

[re: Dean83] [link to this post]

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/ufo/broadband £27.50 ! ?
Standard User Highland76
(member) Mon 27-Jul-20 14:45:59
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/ufo/broadband £27.50 ! ?

No, that’s for their York FTTP rollout which is totally different to their Openreach based FTTP products. Their Openreach based FTTP services are called Future Fibre and cost £40/m for 500Mbps and £35/m for 160 Mbps on a fixed price 24 months min term. They’ll be launching the 1 Gig tier in a few months.

At present orders can only be placed over the phone.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Wangmaster
(newbie) Mon 27-Jul-20 15:07:27
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

From what I've heard, they also don't provide a phone service with future fibre? Might be a problem for some, but I haven't used the house phone in years. I assume they will offer some sort of IP based telephony in the future, though.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Mon 27-Jul-20 15:10:20
Print Post

[re: Wangmaster] [link to this post]

Correct, it’s a data only FTTP service from TT.

Standard User burble
(committed) Mon 27-Jul-20 15:33:09
Print Post

Rather annoyingly my earlier reply has disappeared.
As I type this I'm on hold trying to find what's happening to my TT FTTP 'order', it was actioned by CEO's office around 16th July.
As per my earlier thread it appears that TT will not do a landline or offer a VoIP service so will need to port number to someone like Sipgate.
quick update, TT helpline has failed (yet again) they transfered me to the wrong ext. have now had to redail as they can't get me through to right ext.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Jul-20 15:36:39
Print Post

Their website is saying £28/m on 18 month contract.

Tried a few FTTP (only and mixed) and none are passing eligibility check.

So still not enough to flip our listings to add the package.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burble
(committed) Mon 27-Jul-20 15:39:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Their website is saying £28/m on 18 month contract.

Tried a few FTTP (only and mixed) and none are passing eligibility check.

So still not enough to flip our listings to add the package.

That's for gfast, not 'future fibre'.
p.s. the FTTP page isn't easy to find, and you seem to end up on gfast page if not careful

Edited by burble (Mon 27-Jul-20 15:40:14)

Standard User Highland76
(member) Mon 27-Jul-20 15:42:27
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

Call TT full fibre team on 0345 172 0074, option 1.

Standard User Highland76
(member) Mon 27-Jul-20 15:47:54
Print Post

TalkTalk Fibre 'terminology' :

Faster Fibre & Superfast Fibre: FTTC

Faster 150 Fibre: G.Fast

Future Fibre: FTTP (Openreach flavoured)

UFO: FTTP (CityFibre flavoured) - only available in York area
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To be released

????: FTTP (CityFibre flavoured) - available nationwide in place of or in addition to Vodafone FTTP

Edited by Highland76 (Mon 27-Jul-20 16:05:00)

Standard User burble
(committed) Mon 27-Jul-20 15:53:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Call TT full fibre team on 0345 172 0074, option 1.

I'll probably be phoning that number next, as per usual at TT confusion reigns, I've been passed through several teams, for some odd reason I'm now been passed to the Fibre Trials team, they can.t find my info so are right now chasing around trying to find what the hell is happening.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Mon 27-Jul-20 16:00:19
Print Post

That number definitely puts you through to their dedicated FTTP team via option 1 - I was talking to them this morning smile

Standard User burble
(committed) Mon 27-Jul-20 16:00:27
Print Post

Hopefully this should link to the correct page.
https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/futurefibre

p.s. AFAIK 150 is £34.95, and 500 is £39.95

Edited by burble (Mon 27-Jul-20 16:02:59)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Jul-20 17:02:37
Print Post

The York UFO is also now in Dewsbury and still called UFO

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Jul-20 17:03:16
Print Post

Thanks for link - phone call order only.

Standard User Highland76
(member) Mon 27-Jul-20 17:38:59
Print Post

The York UFO is also now in Dewsbury and still called UFO

Ah ok, in that case they might be calling all Cityfibre based FTTP services, UFO.

Standard User zzing123
(regular) Mon 27-Jul-20 19:21:39
Print Post

Also nada on the business site yet, but good to see they've done something by their deadline this July.

Meanwhile, Cityfibre has been mentioned as "later this year", but no one knows whether that's calendar year (Dec 2020) or financial year (Mar 2021).

Has TT actually mentioned anything on the wire, Andrew?
Standard User Highland76
(member) Mon 27-Jul-20 20:14:16
Print Post

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

Apparently TT Business are launching FTTP "from July 2020". And they mention "Ultrafast speeds up to 1 Gbps" so will be interesting to see if they launch the top end 1 Gig tier from the beginning

https://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/products/business...

Standard User Highland76
(member) Tue 28-Jul-20 09:48:21
Print Post

Apparently TT Business are launching FTTP "from July 2020". And they mention "Ultrafast speeds up to 1 Gbps" so will be interesting to see if they launch the top end 1 Gig tier from the beginning

TalkTalk Business will be launching Openreach FTTP tomorrow:

0.5 Gig for £59.95/m (ex vat) including copper line rental + unlimited landline + mobile calls + static ip

1 Gig for £69.95/m with same phone package

No idea how they supply the voice service if there’s no copper ( I have both copper + fibre) Anyway if BT business keep delaying in launching the 1 Gig service, I’ll be moving over to TTB. Had superb service from them in the past along with top class phone support.

Edited by Highland76 (Tue 28-Jul-20 09:49:35)

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Tue 28-Jul-20 10:23:14
Print Post

Phone call availability check only. Bemusing.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User threelegs
(member) Tue 28-Jul-20 11:12:14
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

the lack of a bundled copper landline will put many people off,me included, from signing up to tt fttp
Standard User burble
(committed) Tue 28-Jul-20 11:20:53
Print Post

Well the shear level of incompetence at TT has stepped up a notch, I don't think I've ever spoken to so many people at a company who know so little about what they are doing, I've normally had reasonable service from TT in the past, but this is not like 'banging your head against a wall', this is taking a run up and diving head first at reinforced concrete. I've had a frustrating year of promises from TT on when FTTP would be available, now they have cocked it up big time.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Tue 28-Jul-20 11:37:40
Print Post

Is it the lack of a bundled voice service with FTTP which is stopping you taking out fibre with TT? IMHO it’s not really an issue, just sign up with Vonage or Sipgate for the voice part. The latter charge no monthly fees for their ‘Basic’ PAYG plan and if you make a lot of calls to landlines/mobiles then their unlimited calling plan is only £9.95/m.

Standard User burble
(committed) Tue 28-Jul-20 11:54:08
Print Post

No it's TT's inability to handle my order, bare in mind I had been told by CEO's office that FTTP had been ordered on my line (that's another long story), I wanted to double check the time scale and also that porting my number to Sipgate wouldn't trigger a cease of my present service.
The FTTP order has been 'lost', but not only that they can't put in the order again as my house doesn't show on the system (it took three calls of nearly an hour each time to find this out), I can go on OR website and my whole street including my house is listed as having FTTP available, if I do a speed test on here it flags up that FTTP is available, but for my post code TT system only shows the school down the road as having FTTP available. On TT's forum there are several others who have same problem. I've now been on my 4th phone call, and got cut off whilst it was being escalated up the system.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jul-20 14:15:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by burble:
I wanted to double check the time scale and also that porting my number to Sipgate wouldn't trigger a cease of my present service.

In most cases where broadband/landline is a bundled service if you port the landline number to a VOIP provider it will cease the entire service from the ISP.

ISP's need to take advantage of OpenReach's "Renumber with number export" service to do this but very few do.
Standard User threelegs
(member) Tue 28-Jul-20 15:17:11
Print Post

No it is the fact that they dont have an option to keep the landline. yes i could use voip but that then means another monthly bill when BT and others keep it simple and cheaper than tt

Edited by threelegs (Tue 28-Jul-20 15:18:24)

Standard User kommando
(regular) Tue 28-Jul-20 16:08:11
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

Basic Sipgate is free is you never make an outgoing phonecall, I added £10 credit to my account and its down to £9.80 12 months later.
Standard User dogcat
(learned) Tue 28-Jul-20 16:22:21
Print Post

TalkTalk Business will be launching Openreach FTTP tomorrow:

0.5 Gig for £59.95/m (ex vat) including copper line rental + unlimited landline + mobile calls + static ip

1 Gig for £69.95/m with same phone package

edit. forgot the VAT. Its still cheap, but is a only a bit more than BT retail.

Edited by dogcat (Tue 28-Jul-20 16:23:40)

Standard User burble
(committed) Tue 28-Jul-20 17:37:54
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

At the moment I'm awaiting another call back, they haven't got a clue. One of the questions asked was "why do you want to port your number?" I then had to explain to the so called 'expert on FTTP' (their term not mine) that they weren't providing a voice service with FTTP, they are now discussing how to handle it.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Tue 28-Jul-20 18:47:39
Print Post

Why don’t you keep your existing TT copper broadband & voice active and place a new order for TT FTTP (data only). Once you’re up and running on FTTP, simply ask your chosen VoIP provider to port your TT number. Once the port is completed, this will automatically cease your copper voice & broadband on TT.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jul-20 19:02:00
Print Post

Do as Highland76 suggested and port the Talktalk number after the FTTP is live. This ceases the Talktalk broadband and phone.

I really can't see Talktalk residential being able to organise a number export while the service is live.
It's also a service which OpenReach charges the ISP a flat fee for (£35+vat) which Talktalk probably don't have a system in place to pass on to you the customer.

If porting the number to VOIP is a process that takes a couple weeks you could start it before the FTTP goes live and time it to happen a few days after that.
With the higher chance of delays in FTTP installs I would just wait till the service is active then port the number.
Standard User threelegs
(member) Tue 28-Jul-20 19:35:28
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

that is like saying lots of things are free if you dont use them. all isps should provide a landline or a bundled voip
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 00:08:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by threelegs:
the lack of a bundled copper landline will put many people off,me included, from signing up to tt fttp

As been said you can sign up for a VoIP system I have been using sipgate for years as i used it when I went for a wireless network and kept hold of it even when I went to FTTC. So if it came here, the lack of a copper landline would not be the problem, using Talk Talk would be and also I do not need the speed, so I would not pay the extra for the speed.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Wed 29-Jul-20 05:51:23
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
As been said you can sign up for a VoIP system I have been using sipgate for years as i used it when I went for a wireless network and kept hold of it even when I went to FTTC. So if it came here, the lack of a copper landline would not be the problem, using Talk Talk would be and also I do not need the speed, so I would not pay the extra for the speed.

100% with you there and my experience with SIP trunks over a multitude of broadband connection types mirrors your own.

ISPs should absolutely NOT be bungling (typo but I’ll leave it to emphasise the point) a voice service whether it be copper or VoIP with their broadband.

It stifles customer choice and flexibility and ties you into a tariff arrangement - great for the service provider and terrible for the customer - it’s akin to Microsoft bundling IE in their products....that didn’t end well.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 07:45:54
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
ISPs should absolutely NOT be bungling (typo but I’ll leave it to emphasise the point) a voice service whether it be copper or VoIP with their broadband.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, one reason to bundle it into the ISP provided router (e.g. "hub") is to ensure there is no QoS complexity for the home user. More important on slower lines than faster.

When the PSTN voice-over-copper switch off arrives, it will confuse a lot of people.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Wed 29-Jul-20 08:20:12
Print Post

I'd avoid the news about PSTN switch off and how even LLU operators are increasingly delivering services over VoIP rather than using regular copper landlines due to the cost savings.

Standard User simon194
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jul-20 08:26:23
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

I had to top my Sipgate account up for the first time in around 4 years last month. I really only use it for daytime calls and phoning the UK when I'm abroad.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Wed 29-Jul-20 08:27:17
Print Post

It stifles customer choice and flexibility and ties you into a tariff arrangement - great for the service provider and terrible for the customer - it’s akin to Microsoft bundling IE in their products....that didn’t end well.

It doesn't tie you into anything. You can run a VoIP service over the top if you wish and for the most part digital voice services are basically free - the ISP is hoping to make a little money from calls and digital voice costs are negligible.

As far as ISPs not bundling services under apparently any circumstances cable companies do it because they can use a separate service flow for the voice which guarantees bandwidth on a shared network and uses modulation orders more resilient to noise so that even under network congestion or fault conditions the voice service continues to function short of total outage.

FTTP providers do it because they can use a separate VLAN with higher priority over the infrastructure provider's network, again to protect against congestion conditions, and using their own CPE they can also protect the voice call against congestion on the user's own capacity.

I'm thinking you've a lot of experience running services over broadband connections but none with broadband infrastructure itself. There are valid reasons for ISPs to at very least offer customers the option so writing it off in absolute terms is a bit much.

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Wed 29-Jul-20 08:29:14
Print Post

that is like saying lots of things are free if you dont use them. all isps should provide a landline or a bundled voip

ISP = Internet Service Provider. They should no more be obliged to provide a landline/VoIP than they are a Zoom account.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 08:31:29
Print Post

[
100% with you there and my experience with SIP trunks over a multitude of broadband connection types mirrors your own.

ISPs should absolutely [b]NOT be bungling (typo but I’ll leave it to emphasise the point) a voice service whether it be copper or VoIP with their broadband.

In another thread in a different part of this forum, someone said something about Trunk and when I had a look they offered SOGEA, but the price difference between that and normal FTTC was minimal. FTTP is a different thing, not that I have had anything to do with it as I doubt we will get it here and i have not been anywhere that has FTTP.
the one good thing about having a normal landline is if you use it for an emergency and you get cut off, before you say where you are, it is easier for the emergency services to find you.

I have not used my landline since going back to fixed lined broadband about 5 years back, maybe longer.

I doubt we will see FTTP here for years,

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 29-Jul-20 08:51:46
Print Post

Difference in wholesale costs between standalone broadband (SoGEA) and broadband with voice bundled is very small. For example Openreach charges CPs £265 pa for the SoGEA 330/50 FTTP product (sauce) whilst its £291 pa for the data+ voice product (sauce). So a difference of just over 2 quid per month. Which explains why some CPs like BT include voice as standard on their broadband offerings. It makes no sense to take out a third party VOIP service where voice is already included by the broadband provider, especially if its just to receive incoming calls.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jul-20 09:04:21
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Say QoS to the average person an the street and you will get quizzical looks

Mention VoIP and some may have heard of it but see it as incredibly complex, and with the games one sometimes has to undergo to get third party voip handsets working via random broadband routers you can understand it.

Bundled and supported voice service either over copper or the broadband reduces complexity for the public.

Before anyone calls for big changes to how telephone and broadband packages are sold in the UK they should consider not just their own needs but those of the much wider population.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 10:33:04
Print Post

Say QoS to the average person an the street and you will get quizzical looks

Agree completely, hence why my ISP (Virgin Media) has stopped installing copper pair, and now uses the RJ11 sockets on their Hub.

Mention VoIP and some may have heard of it but see it as incredibly complex, and with the games one sometimes has to undergo to get third party voip handsets working via random broadband routers you can understand it.
Agreed, most people think of VoIP in 2020 as the apps on their mobile device,e.g. WhatsApp, FaceTime or similar.

Before anyone calls for big changes to how telephone and broadband packages are sold in the UK they should consider not just their own needs but those of the much wider population.
100% agreement.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Nick_W789
(learned) Wed 29-Jul-20 10:33:36
Print Post

It's as much a cultural shift, for the phone providers too (BT still struggling with using an identifier other than phone number for a domestic circuit). But those who most use a conventional landline are those least likely to be able to (or want to) configure multiple devices; building ATA functionality into broadband routers must cost pence and standard kit makes support feasible.
Standard User burble
(committed) Wed 29-Jul-20 11:06:26
Print Post

Well the latest is TT will not provide FTTP for me, their advise (after a year of promises from CEO's office of it coming soon) was to go with BT, they can see it's in my area but I can only assume it's the exchange equipment needing updating. Funny enough they can supply a service to the school down the road, they had fibre laid years ago through some sort of council scheme, and AFAIK that fibre is nothing to do with domestic fibre as OR didn't piggyback off it.
BTW the agent I spoke to, at first didn't understand why I wanted to port the number and had no training on this, so had to consult with a manager.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 11:14:31
Print Post

The school connection will be a lease line which has no bearing on FTTP (in this context) at all.

TalkTalk unbundle exchanges and have their own backhaul - if the backhaul in the exchange isn't at a suitable capacity then they won't sell in that exchange yet. They presumably will have some sort of programme to upgrade exchanges but it could be a while as I doubt it is cheap and the FTTP market is still relatively small.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 29-Jul-20 11:18:27
Print Post

That’s a shame. If you don’t want to go with BT I suggest giving Sky Ultrafast FTTP team a call on 0333 759 4255 - like TT they don’t allow online orders just yet. However unlike TT, Sky do include a voice (VoIP) service as standard with their fttp offerings. Though I think sky don’t offer anything above 160/30 according to their flyer I received a few weeks ago.

Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Wed 29-Jul-20 11:33:24
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
..the one good thing about having a normal landline is if you use it for an emergency and you get cut off, before you say where you are, it is easier for the emergency services to find you.

A SIP trunk is just like a landline in the respect of a 999/112 emergency call, you register a physical address with your VOIP service provider so the blues and two's know where to go.

In other ways a VOIP service that is not physically tied to a single physical broadband service is preferable. If someone chomps through your fibre / copper its easy to flip to say a 4G connection and still get a "landline" service.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jul-20 11:37:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
ISP = Internet Service Provider. They should no more be obliged to provide a landline/VoIP than they are a Zoom account.
A good point, normally ignored throughout these forums. In fact, the whole site.

(As I realise you know), Ofcom generally refer to Communications Providers, (CPs), which covers most or all all aspects of nationwide electronic communications. IIRC so does Openreach.

I occasionally do, when the phone side is being discussed on the site.

Interestingly I wonder if other services such as Zoom and VOIP providers do or will soon come under their aegis as well.

Edit for clarity: "their" as in Ofcom. Not as in Openreach.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 29-Jul-20 11:40:16)

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 29-Jul-20 14:01:15
Print Post

For those that just have a phone service, how will that be provided in the future?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 14:02:39
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Potentially by installing the lowest cost data service possible and providing a VoIP service over top of it but the customer would pay voice service costs and wouldn't have access to the data service. To be honest it kind of reminds me of ISDN services.
Standard User Nick_W789
(learned) Wed 29-Jul-20 14:13:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
For those that just have a phone service, how will that be provided in the future?

There is a 0.5MB/S symmetrical tier for both SOGEA and FTTP, for VOIP and for devices with low bandwidth requirements (traffic lights, alarm systems and other IOT). Although slow, it is an Internet connection. ISPs will need to provide a router with VOIP functionality.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jul-20 14:50:51
Print Post

This data only I don't believe would be the end game for TalkTalk, my bet is that they are working on the new hardware and software side of voice service.

Standard User Wangmaster
(newbie) Wed 29-Jul-20 15:44:20
Print Post

I assume it's because they can't just go by the openreach checker, as it also relies on TT having cablelinks installed in the customers telephone exchange.

Annoyingly my exchange is one without cablelinks currently installed, and I still have 15 months left on my TT contract.

Edited by Wangmaster (Wed 29-Jul-20 15:46:28)

Standard User burble
(committed) Wed 29-Jul-20 16:23:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Wangmaster:

I assume it's because they can't just go by the openreach checker, as it also relies on TT having cablelinks installed in the customers telephone exchange.

Annoyingly my exchange is one without cablelinks currently installed, and I still have 15 months left on my TT contract.

AFAIK BT will buy you out of contract.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 16:29:58
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

To be honest it kind of reminds me of ISDN services.

.... they are being phased out by 2025 too apparently.

{Praise Be ! I hate the damn things}

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 16:37:59
Print Post

I know of a block of ‘seniors living*’ flats, all are FTTP only. Many only take an FVA voice service .... I’m aware that FVA is going too, so it’ll be a phone jack, of some variety, on the back of a CP router.

* please note, this poster meets the criteria for said flats.

Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 29-Jul-20 16:47:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by burble:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

AFAIK BT will buy you out of contract.

Indeed they will, up to £300 covered in early termination charges:

http://home.bt.com/-nbsp/switching-to-bt-broadband-h...

Standard User Dean83
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 12:45:16
Print Post

Also seems odd that there is such a difference in price between their G.fast based 'Fibre 150' at £28 and FTTP based 'future fibre 150' at £34.95

BT retail seem to apply the exact same price across the same speed tiers on different technologies ( e.g its the same price for g.fast or FTTP supplied 160/30 and 330/50 speeds )

is there a big difference in price at the openreach end for the circuit?
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Thu 30-Jul-20 13:17:33
Print Post

If their internal staff can carry out the checks no reason why they can't deliver those results via a web page to the public.

I'd suggest they've rushed this launch and haven't built the functionality into the public-facing checker yet.

Which remains bemusing and the only real thought is that their internal systems are a mess as if they were any cop delivering those results to the public would be easy.

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Thu 30-Jul-20 13:18:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Dean83:
Also seems odd that there is such a difference in price between their G.fast based 'Fibre 150' at £28 and FTTP based 'future fibre 150' at £34.95

BT retail seem to apply the exact same price across the same speed tiers on different technologies ( e.g its the same price for g.fast or FTTP supplied 160/30 and 330/50 speeds )

is there a big difference in price at the openreach end for the circuit?

Yes. Check the Openreach price lists for the respective products.

Standard User Dean83
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 14:23:08
Print Post

looking at the price lists:

160/30 FTTP openreach rental - £253.68 Per year( no requirement for PSTN rental )
160/30 G.fast £137.88 Per year, Plus LLU rental for PSTN at £85.38 = £223.26

and not currently in use my many suppliers yet :

160/30 SoG.fast - £223.02 per year ( no PSTN service )

so yeah i see there is a slight difference, and not much profit margin so i can see why they are charging different prices.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Thu 30-Jul-20 14:47:17
Print Post

Yeah indeed. Chuck the 20% VAT on top of that and it increases the gap.

Standard User Highland76
(member) Tue 25-Aug-20 12:38:30
Print Post

TalkTalk Business are now selling Openreach based FTTP services. Prices are a bit more than their Residential sibling but they offer better support, static IPs etc.

https://postimg.cc/jnyVS6Tq

At present their phone service on FTTP is copper based so not possible to get this if you don't have a copper feed (eg new build) but they're looking to roll out a VOIP service by early next year. So TalkTalk Residential should follow suit.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 Mbps -- Asus RT-AX89X
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Tue 25-Aug-20 12:47:58
Print Post

Remember 'TalkTalk Business' you need to add VAT on those prices.

Hope there support is better than there Business sales as they have not answered my emails about FTTP sent a month ago.

Edited by APTMAN (Tue 25-Aug-20 12:53:17)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 25-Aug-20 13:35:47
Print Post

Also remember that Talktalk doesn't give you IPv6.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Tue 25-Aug-20 13:37:42
Print Post

Yep those prices are ex vat.

At present their full fibre Sales team is separate from their regular sales dept, you’re better off calling them to get a quick answer.

Standard User Highland76
(member) Tue 25-Aug-20 13:43:31
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

IPv6 is only a must have if you can’t use your connection without it, typically those working in IT. For the majority of users, a static (or multiple) ipv4’s is perfectly adequate.

Edited by Highland76 (Tue 25-Aug-20 14:17:52)

Standard User APTMAN
(member) Tue 25-Aug-20 14:57:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Also remember that Talktalk doesn't give you IPv6.

Happy with my block of IP4's I have .
At least I can understand them better.
Standard User jpm
(regular) Tue 25-Aug-20 15:50:24
Print Post

TalkTalk Business are now selling Openreach based FTTP services. Prices are a bit more than their Residential sibling but they offer better support, static IPs etc.

At present their phone service on FTTP is copper based so not possible to get this if you don't have a copper feed (eg new build) but they're looking to roll out a VOIP service by early next year. So TalkTalk Residential should follow suit.

That's very good pricing
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Aug-20 16:56:46
Print Post

Maybe they have to look up the results on a photocopied set of pages

Standard User jpm
(regular) Wed 09-Sep-20 17:12:22
Print Post

Does anybody know if TalkTalk Business use PPPoE on their GEA (FTTC/FTTP) services, or whether it's like their home broadband that is just ethernet and DHCP to assign an address?
Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 09-Sep-20 17:28:00
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jpm:
Does anybody know if TalkTalk Business use PPPoE on their GEA (FTTC/FTTP) services, or whether it's like their home broadband that is just ethernet and DHCP to assign an address?

TTB use PPPoE. They gave me the login credentials over the phone for their Fibre 900 service so that I can use my own router - this is going live next Thursday. Though a bit miffed they're taking 2 weeks to provision a new FTTP circuit on an already active 4 port ONT when Giganet and Trunk Networks did the same within 48hrs. But it is what it is.

IIRC I was also using PPPoE on their FTTC service up until 2017, again I was using my own router.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 Mbps -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User jpm
(regular) Wed 09-Sep-20 18:12:36
Print Post

Thanks for confirming. I assume the use of PPPoE is related to having wholesale customers on the network and needing to split the realms up to pass to different RADIUS servers, but that's just a guess.

Have you tried using baby jumbo frames on a TTB GEA service?
Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 09-Sep-20 18:25:21
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

Could never get a MTU of 1500 to work on TTB FTTC but will try on their FTTP service and let you know.

Standard User burble
(committed) Wed 09-Sep-20 20:02:37
Print Post

Maybe they have to look up the results on a photocopied set of pages

After my recent contact with them, I'd say more likely hand written with a quill pen.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Wed 09-Sep-20 23:04:47
Print Post

Even with VAT on top that's not far from half the price I'm paying Cerberus at the moment for the gigabit package (120Mbps upload). Obviously TTB don't go via BT Wholesale though, so costs are cheaper. When my contract term is finished, and if overall feedback seems fine, I might switch.
Standard User donka
(newbie) Mon 14-Sep-20 17:50:27
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Is anyone here running TT FTTP and if so, would you recommend? I'm currently with Plusnet for the past 12 year who to be fair have been excellent with a rock solid connection. Happy with my current FTTC connection but they don't offer FTTP so considering the switch to the TT 500MBPS package for not much more money.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Mon 14-Sep-20 18:40:22
Print Post

[re: donka] [link to this post]

I'll let you know on Thu when I go live ๐Ÿ˜‹

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 14-Sep-20 21:10:00
Print Post

Let us know how it goes when something breaks, how they fayre!

I’ve renewed with Cerberus for another 12 months on my (recently native) FTTP, and they have in all honesty been great in the initial 12 month term, and generally very responsive when things have gone wrong or needed errr fixing, but it’s always good to know how well other suppliers are performing smile

I did look at TTB last month for a LL install in London but couldn’t get in the ballpark.
Standard User donka
(newbie) Tue 15-Sep-20 11:59:26
Print Post

Yes, please keep us posted how the initial install goes and connection speed.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 16-Sep-20 16:07:44
Print Post

Went live a day early on TalkTalk Business, speeds are great:

My Broadband Speed Test

Speedtest.net

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10093510696

The above speedtests are on the supplied TT Wifi Hub, all wired. Results over wifi 5 are only 100-200 Mbps, I will try my Netgear wifi 6 router later on. But so far very pleased on TT smile

Edit: I should add as I already have an active ONT (4 port), TalkTalk activated their service remotely, on port 2 of the ONT. Port 1 has the BT FTTP line (330/50)

Edited by Highland76 (Wed 16-Sep-20 16:22:20)

Standard User donka
(newbie) Wed 16-Sep-20 16:43:07
Print Post

Went live a day early on TalkTalk Business, speeds are great:

My Broadband Speed Test

Speedtest.net

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10093510696

The above speedtests are on the supplied TT Wifi Hub, all wired. Results over wifi 5 are only 100-200 Mbps, I will try my Netgear wifi 6 router later on. But so far very pleased on TT smile

Edit: I should add as I already have an active ONT (4 port), TalkTalk activated their service remotely, on port 2 of the ONT. Port 1 has the BT FTTP line (330/50)

So which package are you on? Is the bottom row your figures in that image?
Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 16-Sep-20 17:00:31
Print Post

I’m on Fibre 900 (FTTP 1000/115).

Standard User donka
(newbie) Wed 16-Sep-20 17:31:46
Print Post

Thanks. TT are calling me back Friday to follow up so please keep us posted over the next day or two and enjoy your new speeds! ๐Ÿ‘
Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 16-Sep-20 20:06:43
Print Post

Speeds over wifi 6 looking good as well smile

My Broadband Speed Test

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 17-Sep-20 19:49:25
Print Post

That's just cruelty to (many) other readers.
๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿฑ‍๐Ÿ๐Ÿงจ๐ŸŽก๐Ÿคฃ

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 17-Sep-20 19:51:37)

Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 17-Sep-20 20:19:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's just cruelty to (many) other readers.
๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿฑ‍๐Ÿ๐Ÿงจ๐ŸŽก๐Ÿคฃ

Sorry! ๐Ÿคฆ

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Thu 17-Sep-20 21:24:23
Print Post

Is it this one you are on at £108 per /M ?.

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/business/product/fibre

It states.
'Your own connection that's not shared'
If you are connected to a 'PON' then it will be 'Shared' surely .
Standard User donka
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 21:26:53
Print Post

All going well these past couple of days?
Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 17-Sep-20 22:12:52
Print Post

Is it this one you are on at £108 per /M ?.

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/business/product/fibre

It states.
'Your own connection that's not shared'
If you are connected to a 'PON' then it will be 'Shared' surely .

No, that's their leased line product which is a totally different product. And yes leased lines really can offer uncontended service to the CP's network but you pay handsomely for this.

I'm on their Openreach 1 Gig FTTP service which at present can only be ordered through telesales and is £59.95/m + vat for a data only service.:

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 17-Sep-20 22:15:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by donka:

Yep, so far seeing speeds of 800+ Mbps day & night. BQM looks solid as well, no complaints at all smile

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User donka
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 22:22:38
Print Post

Yep, so far seeing speeds of 800+ Mbps day & night. BQM looks solid as well, no complaints at all smile

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Nice, thanks for the update. ๐Ÿ‘
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Sep-20 00:44:18
Print Post

smile
There were lots of our recently-available ๐Ÿ˜‚s.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Fri 18-Sep-20 10:18:35
Print Post

Thanks, there website very confusing.

At £59.95/m + that's a lot better that what Eclipse Business want for there 160/30
Is the £59.95/m + on offer or is that the long term price ?.

Is there a VOIP phone service with this or was that on the BT Business line or both ?.

Re ''Edit: I should add as I already have an active ONT (4 port), TalkTalk activated their service remotely, on port 2 of the ONT. Port 1 has the BT FTTP line (330/50)''

Can you just expand on this .

1... 4 port ONT ... Are these the the Ethernet ports ?
2.. So you only have 1 x Fibre port ?
3.. Both services are routed via the one Fibre, one to port 1 and the other on port 2 ?.

Edited by APTMAN (Fri 18-Sep-20 10:26:49)

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Sep-20 10:30:12
Print Post

A 4-port ONT allows up to four separate ISP services to be delivered. They *are* ethernet ports, but they are for the WAN uplinks for up to four different routers.

This means you can buy additional FTTP services, even from different ISPs, without new fibres being pulled into your building.

Unfortunately, 4-port ONTs are no longer being supplied, so this isn't possible unless you are a legacy FTTP customer.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 10:39:18
Print Post

3.. Both services are routed via the one Fibre, one to port 1 and the other on port 2 ?.

And you are sharing the PON (one fibre out of your premises), so you can't max out both ISPs at the same time.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Sep-20 10:48:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
And you are sharing the PON (one fibre out of your premises), so you can't max out both ISPs at the same time.

The PON isn't the limit here. The PON bandwidth is 2.4G down, 1.2G up (shared by all the users connected to the same splitter).

However, I have heard suggestions that the old 4-port ONT had an internal 1G connection to the CPU, such that the total bandwidth to all four ethernet ports could not exceed 1G.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 10:53:42
Print Post

The PON isn't the limit here. The PON bandwidth is 2.4G down, 1.2G up (shared by all the users connected to the same splitter).
Oops, thanks!

However, I have heard suggestions that the old 4-port ONT had an internal 1G connection to the CPU, such that the total bandwidth to all four ethernet ports could not exceed 1G.

I was thinking a 1G limit between Ethernet and PON. Given how little hardware today supports anything faster than 1G, I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe faster (2.5 Gbit?) will come in time.

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:00:10
Print Post

It's moot, because they are not supplying 4-port ONTs any more - presumably a cost-saving measure since most users don't take multiple services. However it's annoying for those of us who do want to, and especially when the CBT or splitter has no free ports.

CPUs and switches with 2.5G ports do exist, e.g. see this block diagram of a Mikrotik router:
https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/RB4011iGSplusRM_18...
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:10:07
Print Post

Yes, I realise you can buy, but not much equipment yet supports. So it’s either expensive at the chip level or just not seen as needed.

I was thinking of the designers of the ONT internals.
As you say a moot point as the 4 port has now gone.

Similar issue with Virgin Media’s gig1 service that is configured for 1.1 Gbit on the DOCSIS side, but only a 1G Ethernet port.

Standard User Highland76
(member) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:12:42
Print Post

The £59.95/m (+vat) price is an introductory price and is fixed for 24 months. I've been told their regular prices will be at least an extra tenner each month. Its a data only service, voice is an extra £10/m but the voice part is over copper, until they release voip sometime in early 2021.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Highland76
(member) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:18:41
Print Post

I'm seeing max speeds on both lines simultaneously (~ 310 & ~ 900 Mbps) though I'm not sure if the 4 port ONT could cope with multiple Gigabit lines. The fact that I'm the only one with FTTP in my street probably helps a lot - I had FoD installed in 2017 when neighbouring properties were not enabled with 'native' FTTP on the back of my FoD build.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Fri 18-Sep-20 11:24:48)

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:52:04
Print Post

candlerb

I think each port has a 1G connection to the CPU, the CPU can handle more than 1G (depending on packet size, small packets will lower the limit considerably as seen when running multiple VOIP services).

The CPU has to handle at least 2.5G to filter out the packets for your ONT port (s) as this is the 'line rate' the PON is working at.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 20-Sep-20 21:40:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
As you say a moot point as the 4 port has now gone.

Given the 4-port ONT is defunct, what is current means of delivering more than one FTTP service to a single dwelling as with Highland76's situation?

Do OR install another passive splitter in the premises and then hang both (or more!) ONTs off it or do they drop another cable from the CBT (yuck)?
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Sep-20 21:46:57
Print Post

do they drop another cable from the CBT (yuck)?
Assuming there is a spare CBT port.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 20-Sep-20 21:52:41
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
do they drop another cable from the CBT (yuck)?
Assuming there is a spare CBT port.

£7.68 from fs.com. Sorted! (I jest by the way)

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/30072.html
Standard User Highland76
(member) Mon 21-Sep-20 00:29:05
Print Post

I don’t believe the 4 port ONT is *completely* extinct as Openreach still carry a limited supply either to replace the existing installed kit or in rare cases replace the single port one where someone wants more than 1 FTTP service - would certainly be less hassle than running new fibre(s) and installing additional ONT(s). I have the old style CSP fed by blown fibre tubing (BFT) with 3 spare fibres available. That means technically I could have up to 16 FTTP services running simultaneously ( 4 x 4 port ont) without the need to run/blow extra fibre from the DP/CBT to the CSP. Not that I ever see that happening!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Sep-20 04:47:54
Print Post

I don’t believe the 4 port ONT is *completely* extinct as Openreach still carry a limited supply

We have the original Huawei ONT that has 4 data ports and 2 phone ports and I know loads of engineers working in my area before this Covid issue still had them in their van still boxed up unused.

Paul

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Sep-20 08:09:08
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I asked for one at FTTPoD installation time a year ago - they said they could not provide them for new installs. But they did agree to pull a second fibre from the pavement chamber.

I very much doubt that they'd use an on-site splitter, because of the light losses. I believe it would have to be another cable back to the CBT, hence going to a different port on the main splitter. If the CBT or the splitter is full, you are out of luck.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 24-Sep-20 09:30:50
Print Post

Thanks. TT are calling me back Friday to follow up so please keep us posted over the next day or two and enjoy your new speeds! ๐Ÿ‘

Did you end up joining them?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User donka
(newbie) Thu 24-Sep-20 09:49:21
Print Post

Yup. Had site survey yesterday and engineer due 6th Oct for go live. Hopefully it all goes smoothly but also keeping my current FTTC for a month to ensure TT are stable.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 24-Sep-20 09:53:20
Print Post

Yup. Had site survey yesterday and engineer due 6th Oct for go live. Hopefully it all goes smoothly but also keeping my current FTTC for a month to ensure TT are stable.

Hope it all goes well! ๐Ÿคž

Which FTTP speed did you go for?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User donka
(newbie) Thu 24-Sep-20 10:02:22
Print Post

Hope it all goes well! ๐Ÿคž

Which FTTP speed did you go for?

Cheers. Fastest home option they currently offer which is the 500Mbps.
Standard User zag164
(learned) Thu 24-Sep-20 15:38:22
Print Post

I'm also very interested to hear what the performance is like. I read in the TT forums that Future Fibre users are unable access their accounts online as it requires a phone no to log in (which TT don't offer with Future Fibre!). It doesn't sound very well thought through to me but their pricing is very competitive. This swayed me to BT but my install date is not until 15th October.
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Fri 25-Sep-20 09:09:36
Print Post

FTTP prices are now shown on the TTB website (all ex-vat)

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to