General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Thu 30-Jul-20 00:46:14
Print Post

Re: FTTP to a office upstairs?

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
This is why the ONT should be able to be powered using PoE, then these sorts of problems go away. Ubiquiti manage to do a GPON ONT that can be powered by both passive 24 PoE and pucker 802.3af for hardly any money. Hell Mikrotik manage it in their under £30 WiFi access points.

You could however just use a splitter. The idea you need a power point near an ONT is so last century.

The router would need to support a compliant PoE on its WAN port for the ONT to use. Many I have seen / used, especially in a typical ‘mixed‘ manufacturer setup don’t do so, at least on the WAN port(s).

Otherwise it’s a PoE injector and then the whole elegance idea goes out the window.
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Thu 30-Jul-20 00:52:59
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
If I was you I would install some ducting pipe like https://www.toolstation.com/mdpe-pipe/p11290
From where you BT line comes in (protruding out of the loft space wall or under the eaves about 6" /150mm ) run it through your loft space and down to a point where you want your ONT near two 13 A power sockets (one /ONT and one/router).

Another idea would be install some pipe duct though your roof space and out the other side (Like above) so BTOR chaps would only have to put there ladder up and maybe trim your pipe then they could feed fibre through your roof space without them going in there which they will not, then down the wall to the outside of your office.

That mdpe pipe is very strong so no tight bends in it (say radius of 12"/300mm would do), you would not need any draw rope as the fibre will push into it.

I was told today that CSP are not always used depends on where your BT line is feed from (maybe a pole ? how far away ?).

Some photos would be useful.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but personally I hate the idea of using blue MDPE water pipe (aka alkathene) as a conduit to contain services - other than water of course.

For a few pennies more pence more please use electrical conduit, either flexi which should have a draw inside it or solid with joiners and just run your own draw inside it.
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-20 08:41:28
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

I concur regarding the use of blue pipe.

A friend has had a load of trouble due to the duct for a new electricity supply not being Red. They only agreed to use the Brown he had laid when following a dig at one end, they found that he had laid Electricity Warning Tape directly above the duct.

Initially they had wanted the 7-inch reinforced concrete yard to be dug up.....

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Thu 30-Jul-20 09:57:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
This is why the ONT should be able to be powered using PoE, then these sorts of problems go away. Ubiquiti manage to do a GPON ONT that can be powered by both passive 24 PoE and pucker 802.3af for hardly any money. Hell Mikrotik manage it in their under £30 WiFi access points.

You could however just use a splitter. The idea you need a power point near an ONT is so last century.

The router would need to support a compliant PoE on its WAN port for the ONT to use. Many I have seen / used, especially in a typical ‘mixed‘ manufacturer setup don’t do so, at least on the WAN port(s).

Otherwise it’s a PoE injector and then the whole elegance idea goes out the window.

We have a chicken and egg situation. Till the ONT's provided support for some sort of PoE there is little point in router manufacturers doing PoE on the WAN port.

Though at this point I would note that there are options from Ubiquiti and Mikrotik with PoE on the WAN ports.

I will note that the Mikrotik cAP lite WiFi access point which is under £30 retail shipped can be passive PoE in the 10-60V range, and 802.3af/at powered, so it's not like it would cost much to add.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 30-Jul-20 10:14:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but personally I hate the idea of using blue MDPE water pipe (aka alkathene) as a conduit to contain services - other than water of course.

Have to agree, use the right conduit or duct.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-20 10:42:30
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

I will note that the Mikrotik cAP lite WiFi access point which is under £30 retail shipped can be passive PoE in the 10-60V range, and 802.3af/at powered, so it's not like it would cost much to add.

A lot of the Mikrotik Routers are Passive PoE that doesn't support the 802.3af/at you need it to be an active PoE for that.

I know my MikroTik Tik RB4011iGS+RM only supports a Passive PoE on port 1 to power it if I choose to power it that way, but I use the DC Jack for that.

I am not a fan of Passive PoE, I have had a few old'ish devices have issues with them in Switches.

Sadly Passive PoE does no negotiation and is always sending out power on that port no matter what is plugged in there, I learnt the hardware which is why I stay away from them and try to get Active PoE instead.

But once you know its there and what type it is using and its voltage range and you know the device being plugged into it then yeah it might be a good thing.

Paul

Standard User Pommeinzennor
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 15:35:38
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thank you all very much for the advice. I think ill install some electrical conduit with cord in it and then hopefully the btop engineer is willing to install it.

Is 20mm conduit the right diameter?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-20 16:29:01
Print Post

[re: Pommeinzennor] [link to this post]

Is 20mm conduit the right diameter?

The cable is around 7mm diameter, so should be fine. The important bit is nice gentle corners, nothing sharper than the radius of a 50p piece.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to