General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pt1158
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-20 15:27:32
Print Post

FTTC Cabinet damaged, how long to repair/replace?

[link to this post]

On Sun morning (2/8/20), I noticed that the internet was down and the router light was flashing.
Tried the usual things, powered down/up the router, checked cables, plugged into test socket, all to no avail.
Landline was working OK, so tried phoning my isp support number (TalkTalk).
Being Sun, there was no-one there to take my call, so I wrestled with the automated voice recognition system.
Anyway, I managed to raise a fault report and received a text msg saying that there was a fault between the exchange and my home which would require openreach to fix.
Later in the day, I got a call from my brother who had returned home to find his internet was down. He lives around the corner from me and is served by the same FFTC cabinet, so it seemed likely there was a problem with the cabinet.
Decided to take a stroll down to the cabinet to see if there was any openreach activity.
The cabinet was surrounded by barriers and it looked as though it had either been badly vandalised or hit with a vehicle - not healthy.
Today, Mon (3/8/20), I noticed that the router had stopped flashing and there was now an internet connection.
My joy was short-lived when I realised that I was only getting ADSL speeds (6Mb down / 1Mb up) rather than my usual 40 down 10 up.
I realise its better than nothing, but I just wondered if anyone had been in a similar position and how long it might take to repair/replace a FTTC cabinet.

My cabinet is No.9 on Ashton-in-Makerfield exchange.

TalkTalk don't appear to be able to give me any further information.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Aug-20 19:12:44
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet damaged, how long to repair/replace?

[re: pt1158] [link to this post]

A week in an absolute best case scenario, but can be a month or longer, a lot depends on what damage was done to the fibre, copper and mains wiring, since if that needs repairing it is a lot more than deliver a new cabinet and replace it.

Another possibility is that the plinth itself might have been damaged and need replacing, i.e. the bit buried the ground

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 03-Aug-20 20:22:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A total wipeout of the cabinet is usually replaced and running in a few days. Power may take longer so they often run on batteries which need replacing 3 times a day, and loss of service is not unusual.
Seems the cabinet was damaged badly enough that power had to be disconnected for safety. With luck a team will be out tomorrow or Wednesday to replace the cabinet and connections.

Edited by witchunt (Mon 03-Aug-20 20:49:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User omegapoint6
(newbie) Mon 03-Aug-20 23:17:52
Print Post

Mine was hit by a car a couple of years ago and it took 5 weeks for it to be replaced. In that case it had been ripped off the base, the phones lines were still attached but power and the fibre connections were damaged.

Most of the delay seemed to be waiting for the associated road works to be scheduled. Keep an eye out for planned works on https://one.network/, more reliable than waiting for the ISP to figure out what's happening. Once the new cabinet was in it took around 36 hours.

Edited by omegapoint6 (Mon 03-Aug-20 23:19:41)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Aug-20 00:10:48
Print Post

From the posts following yours, it looks like someone applied brain and reconnected the ADSLx at the PCP, so the houses are getting a connection. Which is better than nothing. (I'd be surprised if there is a fail-safe switch, but suppose there might be).

Essential functions can still be carried out on 6Mbps smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.
Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Tue 04-Aug-20 10:17:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I can't help being a little impressed by the re-provisioning of ADSL, I suppose you have to be thankful for small mercies. I wonder if the anticipated repair time has any bearing on that decision?

This is useful for checking roadworks, you don't have to register to get the 3 & 12 month views

http://streetworks.org.uk/live-traffic-works-map/

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 04-Aug-20 10:33:49
Print Post

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

I can only guess the TalkTalk circuit was still connected to ADSL at the exchange and Openreach had pulled all the splitters out in readiness for the resell, or they just fell out when the cabinet was stood back up.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 04-Aug-20 10:47:29
Print Post

The local authority could be the sticking point. My LA wanted 13 weeks notice of the planned date to reinstate a pole that had been smashed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User pt1158
(regular) Tue 04-Aug-20 16:41:28
Print Post

Quick update.
Broadband and phone went off again around midday, so I took a walk down to the FTTC cabinet to find 3 openreach vans there.
Asked one of the engineers what had happened and he confirmed that the cabinet had been hit by a car.
Looks like they've got on pretty quick with replacing it.
They're in the process of reconnecting everything up, so I don't know if it'll get fixed today. I'll be fairly impressed if it does get fixed so quickly.
Fingers crossed.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 04-Aug-20 18:51:01
Print Post

The processes have improved significantly over the last 4 years and most knock downs are back in service with 48-72 hours though they may run on batteries until permanent power is restored.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to