General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AyeUp
(learned) Tue 04-Aug-20 19:36:08
Print Post

FTTP Install

[link to this post]

Hello!

After a delay of around 7 days my FTTP install is due to be finished this Friday, however I have a few of questions.

The fibre that has been pulled through is likely not long enough to reach round to the other side of my 1st floor flat where I live, will this be a problem? Can the OR engineer extend this further on install day? or does a longer fibre cable need to be pulled through?

Further to this I want the ONT to be in my living room, however the router in another room, what are the chances of OR running an ethernet cable to where that would be placed?

I signed up with BT as they were the most competitive but I'm concerned OR has surveyed the install and not really understood my requirements, given I wasn't in at the time they completed that.

Any advice would as alays be grately appreciated smile

Regards

JM

Edited by AyeUp (Tue 04-Aug-20 19:36:28)

Standard User PianSomB
(learned) Tue 04-Aug-20 19:54:29
Print Post

Re: FTTP Install

[re: AyeUp] [link to this post]

If fibre has already been pulled in to your flat then you *may* get lucky and have an OR installer who is prepared to pull another, new length. But I think you should be prepared for that not to be the case and to live with what they have.

There is no problem with the ONT and router being in different rooms. But the OR installer I had said they did not even carry cat5/6 cable, so was not able to install any. However, both flat and thin cable are easy to find, and quite cheap.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Aug-20 20:07:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by AyeUp:
Further to this I want the ONT to be in my living room, however the router in another room, what are the chances of OR running an ethernet cable to where that would be placed?
I would assume low, as OR care about the ONT, and as long as there is power and a suitable wall, the fibre connection can be made.

The connection from the ONT to the router ("hub") would be up to the ISP, in your case BT retail, and they don't attend site. That cabling is standard Ethernet, so you should be able to either DIY, or get some help.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Aug-20 20:55:38
Print Post

There will be an external customer splice point(CSP) fitted on the end of the fibre that has been pulled in.

The installer will discuss and agree a location for the ONT, this should be, ideally, on an outside wall, with two spare power points nearby. An 'inside out' fibre cable will be run through the wall and down to the CSP (to a maximum of 30m) and the ONT brought into service.

Openreach WILL NOT be running any ethernet cabling for you, this is not part of the process the CP pays Openreach for, they do not carry or install it.

If you wish the router to be in a different room to the ONT, supply the cabling yourself prior to the instal date.

Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Tue 04-Aug-20 21:15:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by AyeUp:

As said, zero chance. OR responsibility starts and finishes at the ethernet port on the ONT. That is their demarcation point. Any cabling or gear beyond this point is up to you.

Cat5e or Cat6 will get you where you need to connect up, to a distance of 100m give or take, so generally plenty of scope to position internally.
Standard User PianSomB
(learned) Tue 04-Aug-20 21:22:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
There will be an external customer splice point(CSP) fitted on the end of the fibre that has been pulled in.

Not always.

In my case my copper line entered my house through ducting into a wiring cupboard in the middle of my house. I had a two stage installation (earlier this year, both with the same OR installer).

On the first visit he pulled fibre from the road-side node into my house using the existing ducting, and left it neatly rolled in a loop. No CSP (unless he put one in the ground off my premises).

On the second visit he stripped back the fibre, added a terminator and connected it to an ONT he installed, and then checked that the BT supplied home hub worked.

He did offer to pin the rolled up fibre to the walls if I wanted the ONT to be installed somewhere else in the house. But was not able to offer the same service for ethernet, as you say.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Aug-20 21:33:05
Print Post

[re: PianSomB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PianSomB:

Not always.

In my case my copper line entered my house through ducting into a wiring cupboard in the middle of my house. I had a two stage installation (earlier this year, both with the same OR installer).

On the first visit he pulled fibre from the road-side node into my house using the existing ducting, and left it neatly rolled in a loop. No CSP (unless he put one in the ground off my premises).

On the second visit he stripped back the fibre, added a terminator and connected it to an ONT he installed, and then checked that the BT supplied home hub worked.

He did offer to pin the rolled up fibre to the walls if I wanted the ONT to be installed somewhere else in the house. But was not able to offer the same service for ethernet, as you say.

The install process has changed since then. The field fit SC ‘end’ fitted is no longer used, due to some issues with its use.

Standard User PianSomB
(learned) Tue 04-Aug-20 21:50:27
Print Post

The install process has changed since then. The field fit SC ‘end’ fitted is no longer used, due to some issues with its use.

Interesting. In fact, mine failed after less than 24 hours and had to be re-done by another engineer.

Out of interest, what would now be done in my case - where existing ducting is in place from a residence to the in-road node? Would a CSP be installed inside the house?

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Aug-20 21:57:49
Print Post

[re: PianSomB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PianSomB:

Interesting. In fact, mine failed after less than 24 hours and had to be re-done by another engineer.

Out of interest, what would now be done in my case - where existing ducting is in place from a residence to the in-road node? Would a CSP be installed inside the house?

In a situation like yours, yes.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Aug-20 22:06:14
Print Post

My install being done on the 12th isn't being done with a CSP.
My cable was pulled through a couple weeks ago and is coiled up on the wall waiting for the internal install.

OpenReach were out today pulling through fibre for another 2 neighbours.
Looks to be the same install method as mine.

The engineer pulling through my cable had never heard of the "inside out install" you mentioned previously or any issues with the field fit SC connector he confirmed will be used on my install.

Fills me with confidence.

Pretty sure I'm going to need a new fibre cable pulled through before they start anything as my entry point is behind a neighbours bench, and today said bench was on top of the coiled up fibre, folding the coil in half.

Hopefully the engineer can (and is willing to) test the cable before pulling it in to the living room only to find out it's completely crushed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to