General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CJ18
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-20 13:17:33
Print Post

Community Fibre Partnership - Timescales Involved

[link to this post]

I am in the early stages of setting up a CFP for my area, having written a letter to my neighbours and I'm about to register the CFP wth Openreach.

Would anybody be able to give me the benefit of their experience as to how long it takes for Openreach to come up with their initial quote, then survey, build and go-live? My understanding is that it can potentially take a couple of years but I would really appreciate any views or experience the forum may have.

Cheers.
Standard User PianSomB
(learned) Thu 06-Aug-20 15:20:08
Print Post

Re: Community Fibre Partnership - Timescales Involved

[re: CJ18] [link to this post]

This was my timeline -

Aug 2018 - registered with the web site
Sep - submitted initial list of participants, and received initial estimate of cost
Oct - one neighbour dropped out, received updated estimate.
Nov - Project was approved by OR; applied for gov vouchers
Dec - Signed contract. Paid. Delivery set in contract as within 12m
Early 2019 - various generic updates on progress

... and then ...

July 2019 - call from OR saying that they were cancelling the CFP as we would be covered by BDUK "in the next 10-12 months"
Aug/Sep - moved through formal complaints process; OR agreed to install asap; CFP payment was refunded
Dec - I got installed
Feb 2020 - last of the neighbours got installed.

Painful process. But worth it in the end.

Standard User CJ18
(newbie) Fri 07-Aug-20 08:14:43
Print Post

[re: PianSomB] [link to this post]

Thank you very much, this gives me a rough idea of how quickly things may move (I appreciate all projects are different). Much appreciated.

One cost hurdle we have in my area is that we don't qualify for any vouchers, there is a small office building which if they join in presumably would but the houses don't.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zag164
(learned) Fri 07-Aug-20 22:04:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by CJ18:
I am in the early stages of setting up a CFP for my area, having written a letter to my neighbours and I'm about to register the CFP wth Openreach.

Would anybody be able to give me the benefit of their experience as to how long it takes for Openreach to come up with their initial quote, then survey, build and go-live? My understanding is that it can potentially take a couple of years but I would really appreciate any views or experience the forum may have.

Here is the timeline for our CFP (35 properties) which is nearing completion.

Dec 18 - Initial enquiry
Jan 19 - Addresses entered in OR portal
Feb - Initial quote received. Too expensive to proceed
Jul - Revised quote received
Aug - Canvassed neighbours for support
Oct - Set up CIC as vehicle to sign contract
Nov - Voucher applications made.
Dec - Signed contract
Feb - May 20 - Few standard emails from OR (like PlanSomB)
June - Street works started, ducting, manholes installed in pavements,
July - CBT's installed and fibre laid in street. Lead-ins started

As of now Lead-ins are about 70% complete. Openreach have estimated a go live in early October. My experience has been very good. The work has been subcontracted to KN Circnet who have been easy to deal with. I have received positive comments about them from my neighbours.

My two top tips for anyone setting up a CFP are:
1) Enter addresses into OR portal before you have spoken to your neighbours. It is easier to approach your neighbours with a headline figure. (It seems you are passed this stage though)
2) Ask for a copy of the draft contarct before the vouchers are applied for so you can review it in advance. Once our vouchers were applied for our contract was immediately issued and things moved quickly so this could save some time.

Good luck!
Standard User Nick_W789
(learned) Fri 07-Aug-20 22:42:08
Print Post

[re: zag164] [link to this post]

Thanks for sharing.
We are at the start of the process and would be using rural vouchers. I can see that there is a risk for Openreach because the vouchers only pay out after installation and if the voucher holders sign up for a qualifying service. How did Openreach manage this - do they try to get you to guarantee the value of the vouchers?
I don’t understand the point of the CIC. I can see why Openreach want to contract with a legal entity but a brand new company with no assets is not going to give them any security. What did the contract commit you to?
Standard User zag164
(learned) Fri 07-Aug-20 23:04:37
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

In short they pass that risk on so the contract commits you to being liable for the value of the contract. It does lists the vouchers so if the voucher total exceeds the cost of the contract then no money needs to change hands. From memory OR normally ask for 50% upfront The CIC is really for your own protection as it restricts liability should anything go wrong. Over the 12 month delivery period circumstances can change so I agreed with the participients that if any vouchers are not claimed, we would equally split the cost. That seemed a fair approach.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Aug-20 08:37:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by zag164:
Over the 12 month delivery period circumstances can change so I agreed with the participients that if any vouchers are not claimed, we would equally split the cost. That seemed a fair approach.

This is something that you should always account for with CFP and other community partnerships.
Standard User CJ18
(newbie) Sun 09-Aug-20 14:54:53
Print Post

Thanks for all the info, it's really useful. As I mentioned before, we don't qualify for vouchers (although we live on the literal edge of a small town/village with we are not considered rural) so we haven't got those to help us but at least it streamlines things a bit, I guess!

I haven't entered any addresses into the OR site, I'm a little reluctant to do that as I haven't spoken to anyone yet. I do appreciate though that a headline cost could be useful to generate interest. I may take that step if interest is very low.
Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Sun 09-Aug-20 17:10:43
Print Post

if your not rural and no vouchers you will have to fund it yourself with your community out of your own real money if you have FTTC already it is likely the cost will increase than if you do not

i would suggest you actually ask your community before wasting Openreach resource for costings that you might not even want or your community may not want (the upshot of this wasted resource from Openreach and an increased likleyhood your quote till take longer to get back to you

To get a quote before speaking to a community is 100% likely for it to go nowhere or a lot of unhappy people at the end of it who wished you spoken to them in the first place

Edited by Fastman3 (Sun 09-Aug-20 17:14:56)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Aug-20 17:35:30
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman3:
i would suggest you actually ask your community before wasting Openreach resource for costings that you might not even want or your community may not want (the upshot of this wasted resource from Openreach and an increased likleyhood your quote till take longer to get back to you

To get a quote before speaking to a community is 100% likely for it to go nowhere or a lot of unhappy people at the end of it who wished you spoken to them in the first place
I understand where you coming from but if a CFP is going to fail its going to fail. Communities are always more likely to be interested before they find out how much its going to cost them. I can recall hearing a CFP community moaning about their broadband but once they found out the cost to upgrade (the local infrastructure) a fair few changed their tune about needing upgrading.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to