General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User starfire
(member) Sat 08-Aug-20 23:13:43
Print Post

Armoured line, so therefore direct buried?

[link to this post]

Hi,

My property and neighbours have armoured cables coming out of the ground to small grey boxes fixed to the wall, from here another normal black cable above ground leads to the master socket.

Properties built around 1984.

Does this definitely mean the cables are direct buried as they are armoured or is there a chance they are still in ducting?

Thanks!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Aug-20 06:13:50
Print Post

Re: Armoured line, so therefore direct buried?

[re: starfire] [link to this post]

Yes, armoured cable = ‘direct in ground’ underground cable.

If you are concerned about this and it’s possible affect on an Openreach FTTP deployment, don’t be.There’s an estate round here where every property is served by a direct in ground armoured lead in ... the street itself has had fibre pulled in through the main network ducts ... and then, as and when each property orders, the supply of a new lead to n duct is agreed and arranged.

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Aug-20 08:29:44
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
If you are concerned about this and it’s possible affect on an Openreach FTTP deployment, don’t be.
To be fair, there have been others who have reported that their properties haven't been fttp enabled during a bigger fttp deployment because of ‘direct in ground’ underground cabling. It seems like a mixed bag to me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Aug-20 08:43:02
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

It’s all a ‘mixed bag’ Dect. How many years has the copper network been evolving, techniques and materials have changed a lot. There won’t be a ‘one size fits all’ solution to the FTTP roll out either. I’ve witnessed how much has changed in the last 6 years.

I’ve family in Salisbury, one of the Fibre First cities, their 80’s estate is all DIG lead ins. The solution there has been new poles and CBT’s.

Different strokes innit.

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Aug-20 08:56:15
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

It’s all a ‘mixed bag’ Dect. How many years has the copper network been evolving, techniques and materials have changed a lot. There won’t be a ‘one size fits all’ solution to the FTTP roll out either. I’ve witnessed how much has changed in the last 6 years.

I’ve family in Salisbury, one of the Fibre First cities, their 80’s estate is all DIG lead ins. The solution there has been new poles and CBT’s.

Different strokes innit.
Totally agree with you, poles do seem to be the preferred option due to cost and time savings.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sun 09-Aug-20 09:16:24
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:

Different strokes innit.
Totally agree with you, poles do seem to be the preferred option due to cost and time savings.

I wouldn’t like to be the contractors putting those poles up on some of these posh estates! They must get some grief!

I live in a Fibre First borough. There’s one very well to do town very close to le that hasn’t started being upgraded yet. I’d say a good 1/4 of it is DIG cable, the residents will go nuts when they see the poles go up, they go mad when Tesco try to do literally anything with their store!!

Icaras
Standard User partial
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Aug-20 09:28:29
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Rightly so. It's bad enough the shoddy shallow direct in ground build that Virgin are doing without Openreach sticking up poles which nowadays have a much shorter life than they used to.

The future should be done properly.

Standard User kommando
(regular) Sun 09-Aug-20 10:46:16
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

The line I had installed for ISDN was direct buried back in the 90's, its about 3" to 4" down and runs alone side drainage ditches and gully's for much of its length. Not much is needed by the diggers clearing them out of buildup and vegetation for the line to be cut, FTTP will be installed under R100 so dreading if they use the same route armoured or not. Poles are not an option as it restricts the farmers access to harvest crop so he will deny access. Hopefully when they survey they will knock on the door and ask as there is an alternative route which I used for a new water mains. If not then I will stay with 4G as the hassle of calling them out to repair cut lines is too much bother.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Aug-20 11:03:19
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:
they go mad when Tesco try to do literally anything with their store!!
They must be well cheesed off that it isn't a Waitrose store laugh
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 09-Aug-20 12:30:59
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Around here, some of the non-BT fibre is laid so shallow there is just a 25mm layer of tarmac over the duct!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to