General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hutchingsp
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Aug-20 17:26:02
Print Post

Gfast/Ultrafast on FTTC - Modem?

[link to this post]

So I'm looking at Ultrafast from an ISP like Zen or IDnet and I think they can offer Gfast over existing copper.

What isn't clear is whether I need a combined modem/router if if I need a separate modem and router as I've heard and read conflicting reports of whether it's engineer installed or whether I just go buy a suitable modem/router like I did for the VDSL connection I have now?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Aug-20 17:46:02
Print Post

Re: Gfast/Ultrafast on FTTC - Modem?

[re: hutchingsp] [link to this post]

Engineer installed with an Openreach G.fast modem supplied

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hutchingsp
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Aug-20 17:52:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Engineer installed with an Openreach G.fast modem supplied

Thanks that was what I was told but like I said I'd read stuff about DIY installs.

So I would just need a PPPoE wi-fi router basically and make sure it has enough capacity for the downstream as some cheap ones don't seem capable of handling > 100mbps?

But because OpenReach supply the modem I don't need a specific sort of router just something that can do PPPoE over ethernet to the modem?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flilot
(regular) Tue 11-Aug-20 21:29:50
Print Post

[re: hutchingsp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hutchingsp:
But because OpenReach supply the modem I don't need a specific sort of router just something that can do PPPoE over ethernet to the modem?

Whoever you go with will usually supply a router to you, negating the need to buy one. Zen supply the FRITZ!Box 7530 for all their connections, be it FTTC, G.Fast or FTTP. It's probably one of the better ISP supplied routers you can get.

Carl

Jump to