General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Yipykayay
(member) Sat 29-Aug-20 17:39:21
Print Post

FTTP installation question

[link to this post]

I’m looking at moving from Plusnet (fttc) to BT Full Fibre. My current copper line emerges from a duct under the floor next to the main electricity supply. It runs for 4m under the floor and comes up in a cupboard to feed the BT master socket.
Would the BT engineer be willing to run the new fibre along the same route and install the ONT in the cupboard?
This would be ideal but I’ve read they won’t run cables under the floor.
There is easy access so I could run a conduit draw tape from the duct to the cupboard.

Also, Will I have to tell Plusnet I'm leaving or will BT do this?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Aug-20 20:19:38
Print Post

Re: FTTP installation question

[re: Yipykayay] [link to this post]

If you provide a suitable tubing with a draw cord between the two points, I feel fairly sure the installer will be happy to oblige.

I presume there’s a good power supply in the cupboard where the ONT is to go.

Not sure about the CP’s informing each other .... someone else was will know, I feel sure.

Standard User jpm
(regular) Sat 29-Aug-20 21:26:37
Print Post

They won't go under the floor but will use a draw line you've installed to pull a cable in if it's a easy enough job - they may want to put the splice point next to the duct and then run the internal fibre back through the route you've created under the floor.

Plusnet should get notice that you're cancelling as soon as they get the porting request for your phone number.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Yipykayay
(member) Sat 29-Aug-20 22:19:16
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

That's great. I hoped that would be the case.
I had installed a double socket in the cupboard before the doubts crept in so I'm now ready to order.

Thanks for your help
Standard User Yipykayay
(member) Sat 29-Aug-20 22:24:00
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

Thanks for your helpful reply.
I'll get the ball rolling now
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Sat 29-Aug-20 22:25:26
Print Post

It's quit possible that they will use the existing cable to pull in a combined fibre/copper new one.
If you get someone to gently tug the cable that goes 4M under the floor and and look at the other end to determine if it has been clipped or not, if not be easy to pull in new combined cable, or like you say install a draw rope.

New isp should tell old isp about the move, you don't
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Aug-20 09:12:53
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
It's quit possible that they will use the existing cable to pull in a combined fibre/copper new one.
If the existing copper cable comes into the property via a duct then its unlikely the the Openreach engineer would use a combine fibre\copper cable.
In reply to a post by APTMAN:
If you get someone to gently tug the cable that goes 4M under the floor and and look at the other end to determine if it has been clipped or not, if not be easy to pull in new combined cable, or like you say install a draw rope.
As said by others a suitable tubing\conduit under the floor (without any sharp bends) would be a better option as opposed to leaving the fibre hanging loose.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Mon 31-Aug-20 22:15:32
Print Post

I've just recently done the same move from Plusnet FTTC to BT Full Fibre and in my case BT notified Plusnet about the move of the phone line within a couple of days but because the FTTC broadband isn't moving they don't notify them about that.

In my case I called Plusnet and asked them to disconnect the broadband on the move date.

On the move date the FTTP install failed and I called Plusnet and even though the phone line had moved they left the FTTC broadband connected for me for a couple more weeks which was very helpful.

If I was doing it again I'd notify Plusnet and ask then to cease the FTTC broadband a few days after the proposed move.
Standard User bloodycat
(member) Sat 05-Sep-20 09:53:14
Print Post

I had FTTP installed yesterday and the installer was quite amenable to me running my fibre under the floorboards from the cupboard at the top of the stairs (following the same route as my upstairs ring main and then down through the ceiling of the front porch.

I did have the few floorboards that needed to be lifted to push through the fibre already loose. (either side of the cupboard wall , where the single cross joist is and above the porch)

It was actually easier for the engineer as saved him stripping off vast lengths of fibre to tack to the skirting board and drilling a hole through a thin lath and plaster ceiling is much easier than through early 1900's brick walls. The openreach box with the splice is then near ground level in the porch with the fibre coming down the external wall from the telegraph pole and back up through the ceiling.

The biggest problem with the installation was the 40 minutes waiting for the circuit to become activated - and the engineer then to notice there were 3 distribution boxes at the top of the pole not 2- 2 of which had been identically labelled and he had picked the wrong one.
Standard User Yipykayay
(member) Mon 14-Sep-20 19:02:56
Print Post

[re: bloodycat] [link to this post]

Thanks all.
Openreach coming to run the fibre tomorrow and my activation date is date is 29th. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly
Standard User Yipykayay
(member) Wed 16-Sep-20 20:52:18
Print Post

I don't expect anyone to read this. I just want it written down somewhere for my own amusement at a later date.

I had a call from an Openreach guy last Friday checking I would be available for their visit on Tuesday as they needed indoor access. He said they thought the duct actually enters the property. I confirmed I had seen the duct and would have it exposed for them to complete the work.
When they didn't come on Tuesday. I phoned BT and was told they had been round on Monday and further investigation was required as they couldn't find the duct!!
I explained that the duct emerges below the floor in my under stairs cupboard and if they had bothered to keep the appointment, I could have saved them a lot of bother. The advisor was very apologetic and said she would arrange another appointment.

I got an email later saying the outside work would be done on 7th October. Not happy. I was about to call BT again today (Wednesday) when the Openreach van pulled up. Two engineers arrived expecting to have to dig in my back garden. I went through the story again and half an hour later the cable was in place. Woohoo. The duo consisted of a cheery young lady and a slightly older less cheery chap and they said it was probably the easiest install they've had this year. The cable goes directly from the chamber in the pavement to the hall cupboard where the ONT will be installed (a distance of approx 10m)
Now I just need to see if I can get the ONT visit brought forward from the new date of 16th October.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to