General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adowson
(newbie) Sat 05-Sep-20 21:06:40
Print Post

Can I use a 3rd Party Router with BT's 'Digital Voice'?

[link to this post]

I'm an idiot and didn't realise 'Digital Voice' meant VOIP. I'm going with BT's full fibre 900.

Can I use a standard DECT phone with 'Digital Voice' and have it connected into my router 3rd party router? I really don't want to use their hub.

I'm looking at the Yealink W60P currently. Would that work?
Standard User brookheather
(member) Sat 05-Sep-20 22:22:41
Print Post

Re: Can I use a 3rd Party Router with BT's 'Digital Voice'?

[re: adowson] [link to this post]

BT Digital Voice seems to require the SmartHub 2 so you would need to have a separate VOIP connection (e.g. sipgate) if you want to use your own router.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Sep-20 22:32:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by adowson:
I'm an idiot and didn't realise 'Digital Voice' meant VOIP. I'm going with BT's full fibre 900.

Can I use a standard DECT phone with 'Digital Voice' and have it connected into my router 3rd party router? I really don't want to use their hub.

I'm looking at the Yealink W60P currently. Would that work?
BT won't give you the information required to use your own router, if you need to make outgoing calls via a landline you are better off looking at one of the other VOIP providers as the call charges will be a lot cheaper.

Edited by dect (Sat 05-Sep-20 22:33:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Sep-20 23:16:58
Print Post

As pointed out by others to make or receive landline calls via BT Digital Voice you must use their Smart Hub.

There's currently no way around this.

You also can't port the number to a 3rd party VOIP provider without it ceasing the FTTP.
Standard User adowson
(newbie) Sun 06-Sep-20 06:14:02
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
You also can't port the number to a 3rd party VOIP provider without it ceasing the FTTP.

Really? That's insane. I can understand with ADSL/FTTC since the phone line is a part of the internet connection. But FTTP is entirely seperate from the phone line.

BT/Openreach have not yet installed the service in my property. Is there any way of just cancelling the landline component now without losing the entire package?
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sun 06-Sep-20 08:24:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by adowson:
BT/Openreach have not yet installed the service in my property. Is there any way of just cancelling the landline component now without losing the entire package?

BT don't sell naked FTTP without voice. You could cancel it and go with a different provider.

Alternatively, to move your existing voice number to a VOIP provider without cancelling the underlying service, there is a procedure called "renumber with number export".

AAISP know how to do this. Their VOIP service is reputedly good, and reasonably priced, and you can take it without taking any broadband service from them. Plus you could always port your number from AAISP to another VOIP provider later.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/number-porting/
https://www.revk.uk/2016/04/number-porting-broadband...
Standard User Highland76
(member) Sun 06-Sep-20 08:40:52
Print Post

From the BT stable, onlly BT Business allow their Digital Voice service to be used on third party routers. They supply the Yealink W60 IP Dect phone as standard with their voip service which is already preconfigured so its just plug & play:

https://business.bt.com/content/dam/bt/business/v2/P...

You can cancel your BT Residential order without penalty If you're still within the 14 day cooling off window. BT Business do accept non business customers.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 Mbps -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User adowson
(newbie) Sun 06-Sep-20 08:44:46
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Alternatively, to move your existing voice number to a VOIP provider without cancelling the underlying service, there is a procedure called "renumber with number export".

AAISP know how to do this. Their VOIP service is reputedly good, and reasonably priced, and you can take it without taking any broadband service from them. Plus you could always port your number from AAISP to another VOIP provider later.

It always seems to be AAISP coming to the rescue. With hindsight I would have ported the existing landline to them (or just kept it with my old provider) and setup a new one with BT for the FTTP on PAYG.

Isn't it now too late to do something like "renumber with number export"? BT are already porting from my previous provider and have cancelled the service with them.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Sep-20 09:28:11
Print Post

If you are migrating to BT from elsewhere, which is what has automatically caused a pending cancellation of your existing service, you can simply cancel the BT order. That should reverse everything. It would be wise however to check with your existing supplier after BT accept that cancellation.

See Section 7.5 of Ofcom General Condition C7. (I advise reading the whole of the landline part of C7 to make sure both providers are following the rules).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Sep-20 12:40:12
Print Post

You would need to cancel your migration to BT, then migrate your landline number to a VOIP provider, then order BT FTTP with a new number.

Although "Renumber with number export" is an OpenReach service I did not mention it because BT do not use it.

Alternatively cancel with BT and go with someone else, perhaps a FTTP data only provider like Zen or Talktalk.

Someone else might be able to confirm if you can still use the BT Hub for Digital Voice when running a 3rd party router, running the Hub behind your router.

The BT system picks when ordering if you get Digital Voice and there's currently no way for BT sales staff to alter the order.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to