General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Highland76
(member) Sat 19-Sep-20 11:50:57
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk UFO install - access to telegraph pole?

[re: abigailk] [link to this post]

As others have already said TT have a dedicated UFO Sales Dept totally separate from their regular sales team, strange that you’re not getting any joy from them. Also why would they stop responding to you if you have placed an order with them?

However if you don’t want to deal with TalkTalk then you won’t be getting FibreNation FTTP at present, it’s as simple as that. Your choice.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Sat 19-Sep-20 11:53:01)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 12:04:56
Print Post

If it was me, I would want to persist and find out why my order had been cancelled before I decided if to walk away. There is still an unanswered question about the guys who turned up earlier in the week at the top of your drive, kicked the ground and left. Something has caused it to be cancelled and I would want to find out.
Standard User abigailk
(newbie) Sat 19-Sep-20 12:42:23
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
If it was me, I would want to persist and find out why my order had been cancelled before I decided if to walk away. There is still an unanswered question about the guys who turned up earlier in the week at the top of your drive, kicked the ground and left. Something has caused it to be cancelled and I would want to find out.

I don't have the energy to spend a great deal of time calling the UFO helpline and listening to the endless music - tried again today and hung up after 20 minutes. They can't have that many people calling - it's either completely unstaffed or they have got just one operator dealing with all calls.

If I go to the UFO web site and re-check my address, as if I want to order, I get told that there is already an order in progress for this address. It's Schroedinger's order! I am going to be very careful to check they don't start debiting my account.

I tried next door's address (same pole) just for fun and the service is unavailable. ("We can't bring UFO to your area right now, but we're working on it.") It looks like my address was listed in the database as having access when I don't, and this has now been corrected. The whole street is now showing unavailable, which makes me wonder what the FibreNation crew were doing digging up the street, and why I've been receiving marketing materials for UFO.

Edited by abigailk (Sat 19-Sep-20 12:54:43)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User abigailk
(newbie) Sat 19-Sep-20 13:00:19
Print Post

Just a follow-up - I've done availability checks for a few addresses all over town, especially in places where I saw FN crews working all spring, and I get the same message that says they "can't bring UFO to the area right now". Something seems to have gone very wrong somewhere!
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 13:10:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by abigailk:
It looks like my address was listed in the database as having access when I don't
If thats the case its a shame they don't tell you that, I know you feel they have badly mishandled this situation (I would feel the same) but the benefits will out way the negatives if\when you can reorder (hopefully in the coming months).
Standard User Highland76
(member) Sat 19-Sep-20 13:21:23
Print Post

But don’t lose hope completely, wait until you hear from Cityfibre. CF will know far more about any potential issues than TT or FibreNation.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 19-Sep-20 14:45:04
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Indeed!

As for the OP checking availability sites, I'm not aware of any "generic" ones other than BT Wholesale and Openreach. Those will not be showing CityFibre (who bought FibreNation from TalkTalk in March 2020), presumably until installation at each affected premises takes place, and even then only for such premises. Or at all! As was asked, and answered by witchunt, Openreach are only involved in relation to the poles, and access to any of their ducting.

CityFibre do have their own availability checker, where apparently people can register for updates on build progress.

I wonder if it is possible that the OP's order on TalkTalk has been cancelled because it has been replaced by one on CityFibre. Though actual supply might be via TalkTalk. In the linked article they describe TalkTalk as a customer, in the same way as Openreach would. Though that theory is self-contradictory in a way.

Maybe it has been cancelled because TT no longer have control of the build process. That would make more sense. Again, similar to Openreach-based supply. You can't order an underlying Openreach service until BT Wholesale and other providers have the built and available network open for their own ordering.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User abigailk
(newbie) Sat 19-Sep-20 20:27:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Indeed!

As for the OP checking availability sites, I'm not aware of any "generic" ones other than BT Wholesale and Openreach. Those will not be showing CityFibre (who bought FibreNation from TalkTalk in March 2020), presumably until installation at each affected premises takes place, and even then only for such premises. Or at all! As was asked, and answered by witchunt, Openreach are only involved in relation to the poles, and access to any of their ducting.

CityFibre do have their own availability checker, where apparently people can register for updates on build progress.

I wonder if it is possible that the OP's order on TalkTalk has been cancelled because it has been replaced by one on CityFibre. Though actual supply might be via TalkTalk. In the linked article they describe TalkTalk as a customer, in the same way as Openreach would. Though that theory is self-contradictory in a way.

Maybe it has been cancelled because TT no longer have control of the build process. That would make more sense. Again, similar to Openreach-based supply. You can't order an underlying Openreach service until BT Wholesale and other providers have the built and available network open for their own ordering.

Just to clarify, I was using the TalkTalk UFO postcode/address checker available here:

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/ufo/broadband

When I ordered the other week, entering my postcode and selecting my address told me that UFO was available, allowed me to put in an order, select an installation date, I was even allocated a TalkTalk phone number.

Checking again today on that site for my own address gives a message that an order is in progress and to log in to check its status. If I check neighbouring addresses, I get a message that UFO is unavailable and suggests that I try one of TalkTalk's FTTC products instead.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 19-Sep-20 20:45:58
Print Post

This is getting very confusing.

Am I right in thinking your original order is still alive, and there has been no indication that there is any problem with it? That there was also a cursory inspection of the pavement outside your property recently that was almost certainly to do with this order?

Are you doing all this searching using your March-installed NowTV (Sky) FTTC (Openreach) connection?

The only outstanding known problem being you cannot log into your new TalkTalk account. That may well not be active yet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User abigailk
(newbie) Sun 20-Sep-20 14:41:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
This is getting very confusing.

Am I right in thinking your original order is still alive, and there has been no indication that there is any problem with it? That there was also a cursory inspection of the pavement outside your property recently that was almost certainly to do with this order?

Are you doing all this searching using your March-installed NowTV (Sky) FTTC (Openreach) connection?

The only outstanding known problem being you cannot log into your new TalkTalk account. That may well not be active yet.

It is extremely confusing! When I got the NowTV connection I had an inkling that fibre was on the way (news stories, roadworks in nearby areas etc), which is why I went for NowTV on a no-contract basis rather than, say, 18 months with Sky. I received some postal bumf from TalkTalk ("16x faster full-fibre internet is here, offer ends 23 Sept") last week and successfully ordered - I wanted to get in before the offer expired. This was addressed mail (to "The Internetter" at my address) rather than just mass-leafleting.

The setup in the area (WF16 9xx) is as follows: There were new trenches dug under the footpaths in spring and fibre laid down them. These are now tarmaced over (obviously) and have "FibreNation" branded manhole covers at intervals. The new trenches go to each pole, at which point the fibre emerges from the ground, goes up the side of the pole in a brand-new metal conduit and terminates at a black plastic box at the top of the pole. This setup is replicated around town. Interestingly, the FAQ on the TalkTalk UFO website says this:
This could mean bringing the fibre from the telegraph pole overhead, or it could mean digging a small trench underground but they'll put everything back as they found it. And they won't leave until you're up and running ultrafast on all your devices.

When I was unable to log in to my TalkTalk account, I posted this thread on the TalkTalk UFO forum. There was a bit of back-and-forth, at which point a CSR wrote: "I have checked your order and Im sorry to inform you that the order has been rejected, Do you have a contact number for the UFO team ?, If not please use the live chat facility on our website".

Other than that, I have no contact from TalkTalk and I have been unable to get in touch with them. I'd have expected at least an email saying "your order was rejected". Live chat does not work and the UFO-specific telephone number takes you through a series of voice-activated options before playing a music loop and appears to be unstaffed (or very sparsely staffed). Had I not posted about what I thought was an unrelated issue, I would still be expecting an engineer visit tomorrow.

It is very telling that I received marketing materials and successfully placed an order, but since then the whole town has started to show "UFO is not available" on TalkTalk's checker. It suggests some kind of database foul-up where the area was listed as live but actually isn't.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to