General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Moonraker18
(newbie) Wed 16-Sep-20 19:48:45
Print Post

Cost to enable the village - CFP

[link to this post]

Well, we have made it to the design phase for our CFP and we have been quoted just under £600K to enable the whole village which is just over 800 habitable properties. This will include a number of businesses and a primary school.

We are eligible for the rural Gigabit voucher scheme but to cover the costs using vouchers alone we are going to need a 50% uptake which I think is unrealistic. Has anybody seen similar and found a way to deal with it?
Thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 09:47:55
Print Post

Re: Cost to enable the village - CFP

[re: Moonraker18] [link to this post]

I would guess a lot of campaigning to get people to sign up for the vouchers but on the knowledge that if you don't get enough there is going to need to be an up front additional payment to cover the remainder - that may be from a few well off people who are keen to get it done or shared amongst all (but some may drop out if they get told they will have to dig in their own pockets which could make the gap wider again).

It is a difficult balancing act for getting sign ups. Your biggest problems will be the people who may well already have broadband that is "good enough" and therefore don't see the need to be involved.

The school may or may not want to get involved as it depends on how they currently get their link and whether a FTTP connection is considered good enough for them - they may already have better.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Sep-20 10:55:29
Print Post

Just to be clear, is £600K the balance *after* Openreach's own contribution to the CFP?

How many businesses are covered? Can they get larger vouchers than the residential users, and/or sponsor some of the cost themselves as a community benefit?

Are the local council involved, and would they be prepared to contribute directly?

How poor is the existing broadband? If it's 2Mbps ADSL, then it's much easier to persuade large numbers of people to commit to taking a fibre service than if they already have 30M VDSL.

Remind everyone that they don't need to take gigabit services. Subject to the terms of the vouchers, they might only need to take a basic 40M service, which would be around £25-£28 per month (e.g. Sky if coverage available, or BT)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nick_W789
(regular) Thu 17-Sep-20 11:55:37
Print Post

It may seem like setting an even more impossible target, but if you can cover 130% with vouchers (obviously easier with some business vouchers or if you are in one of the areas where the vouchers are being topped up), Openreach will take on the risk. Otherwise, you run into issues with those who who sign up for a voucher but don't (or can't - moved away or died) take a qualifying service when it goes live in up to a year's time.

Also, make sure that the £600K includes VAT!
Standard User zag164
(learned) Thu 17-Sep-20 16:41:05
Print Post

Is Openreach running that as a Demand Led Scheme? OR seem to be moving towards these now. It's much easier to manage as there is no contract to sign and particpants simply make a pledge online to claim a voucher. Once they hit the threshold they will start the work. 800 is a huge no of properties so the easier the better. We are just completing a CFP for 35 properties and even that has taken a lot of my time. Good luck with your project.
Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Thu 17-Sep-20 19:28:53
Print Post

is that formal offer or an initial estimate (they are not the same)
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 19:38:01
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

First number we have received.

To cover this estimate, assuming that we have to cover the entirety and that this number includes VAT, we need to get 50% of the habitable properties to take FTTP. That seems crazy.
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 19:42:32
Print Post

[re: zag164] [link to this post]

Yes I think so. I have had a conversation a few weeks ago which talked about setting a website up so I guess so.
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 19:44:30
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

It is bad enough without adding 20% to it!
Standard User mikegg
(learned) Fri 18-Sep-20 19:27:57
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Remind everyone that they don't need to take gigabit services. Subject to the terms of the vouchers, they might only need to take a basic 40M service, which would be around £25-£28 per month (e.g. Sky if coverage available, or BT)

candlerb - where is your information from ? We are currently in a Demand Led CFP and have been told by the OR rep that people have to sign up to a FTTP product. Our current speeds are c20Mbps,so double our current speed (and over 30Mbps which are the two conditions) could easily be met by say Plusnet but was I told it must be a product from a provider who sells FTTP products (which PN don't). I specifically asked about this and was told it must be an FTTP product.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to