General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Sep-20 19:45:09
Print Post

Re: Cost to enable the village - CFP

[re: mikegg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikegg:
candlerb - where is your information from ? We are currently in a Demand Led CFP and have been told by the OR rep that people have to sign up to a FTTP product. Our current speeds are c20Mbps,so double our current speed (and over 30Mbps which are the two conditions) could easily be met by say Plusnet but was I told it must be a product from a provider who sells FTTP products (which PN don't). I specifically asked about this and was told it must be an FTTP product.

Indeed you have to take FTTP for gigabit vouchers, and I don't believe I said otherwise. I said "subject to the terms of the vouchers", and "a basic 40M service" (FTTP implied, since FTTP is what we are talking about).

Plusnet don't sell FTTP, but there are several others who do.

The cheapest I know about currently is Sky at £25 for 80M, but it's not available in all exchanges. BT Fibre 1 (50M) for £28 is sure to be available. Aquiss will do you 40M/2M FTTP for £30 (discounted to £15 for first 3 months, 12 month contract, so averages out to £26.25 per month).

Anyway, all I was saying is to remind people that even these are "gigabit vouchers", they are not committed to taking a gigabit service. Otherwise they may baulk at the ~£60 per month cost.
Standard User mikegg
(learned) Fri 18-Sep-20 20:41:42
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
....... BT Fibre 1 (50M) for £28 is sure to be available..

I understood BT Fibre 1 is not an FTTP product and that (in BT's terms) it needs to be an Ultrafast product, the cheapest being Full Fibre 100 at c£40/month ??
Standard User Highland76
(member) Fri 18-Sep-20 21:15:27
Print Post

I understood BT Fibre 1 is not an FTTP product and that (in BT's terms) it needs to be an Ultrafast product, the cheapest being Full Fibre 100 at c£40/month ??

Fibre 1 is FTTP, however its not the cheapest. Cheapest is the entry level Fibre Essential @ £24.99/m which is FTTP 40/10.

Snapshot of BT's FTTP tiers & pricing:

https://postimg.cc/bZpmntKZ

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 08:43:40
Print Post

It is extremely confusing, and BT are *not* helping the consumer confusion about what "fibre" actually means!

However, where I live, I am offered:

* Fibre Essential as FTTC
* Fibre 1 and Fibre 2 as FTTP
* (plus ultrafast options)

My copper line is capable of ~30M down and ~5M up for FTTC. BT's checker offers FTTC speeds for Fibre Essential, but FTTP speeds for Fibre 1 and Fibre 2:
https://imgur.com/HSkK6li

It is especially confusing because all these offers are under a heading saying "What you get with Full Fibre ... A dedicated fibre connection to you door".

Anyway: I am sure you can take BT Fibre 1 at 50M to meet your CFP voucher obligations. You *might* also be able to take Fibre Essential as FTTP, but you're only talking about a saving of £1-£3 per month (Fibre 1 is often on special offer)
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 11:51:46
Print Post

BTW, my copper line recently had a noise fault which Openreach didn't fix for nearly 3 weeks. DLM brought the speeds way down, and 10 days later they are only up to about half what they were originally.

This in turn is reflected in current results from BT checker, under "Fibre Essential":
https://imgur.com/330C1go
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 12:02:09
Print Post

There are also discounts for ultrafast at https://www.bt.com/campaign/full-fibre (not as good as they used to be)

For me it offers Full Fibre 100, Full Fibre 300, and Fibre Essential - but the latter still at FTTC speed.
https://imgur.com/7gqUYsH
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 13:22:51
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Fibre 1 is FTTP, however its not the cheapest. Cheapest is the entry level Fibre Essential @ £24.99/m which is FTTP 40/10.

Snapshot of BT's FTTP tiers & pricing:

https://postimg.cc/bZpmntKZ

I believe BT don't sell Fibre Essential on FTTP where FTTC is available (for most customers anyway).

It offers me Fibre Essentials on FTTC and everything above is FTTP.
I believe that's the case for most customers.

Although it says "What you get with Full Fibre" right above it, my Fibre Essentials estimates are my FTTC estimates.

Looking at your image that's FTTC they are selling you on Fibre Essentials and not FTTP.

FTTP Fibre Essentials has an estimate of 36-36 and 10-10 on FTTP
like here: https://ibb.co/fNxy0wW

That's from an FTTP only address. Every FTTP only address i check has those estimates on FTTP Fibre Essentials.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 19-Sep-20 13:26:21)

Standard User mikegg
(learned) Sat 19-Sep-20 15:50:46
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks to all for their contribution - I agree that BT (and indeed OR) don't make this easy. The one thing I want to be clear about is Fibre 1 (Fibre Essentials is academic as it won't meet the condition of double existing speed). I am 'leading' the CFP and don't want to give my neigbours any incorrect information.

Is there any way I can get a definitive answer that Fibre 1 meets the Voucher requirements (in my case with current 20Mbps I don't see why not) ?

Edited by mikegg (Sat 19-Sep-20 15:51:32)

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 17:46:24
Print Post

Is there any way I can get a definitive answer that Fibre 1 meets the Voucher requirements (in my case with current 20Mbps I don't see why not) ?

I don't see why not either. Perhaps your CFP contact would be prepared to confirm it: they will have lots of experience of the voucher schemes, and Openreach is owned by BT anyway.
Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Sun 20-Sep-20 09:58:27
Print Post

[re: Moonraker18] [link to this post]

why on earth do you think that crazy

A is the first estimate so its not a final Offer (that could change)
B what conversation and appetite test have you done witt the communty prior to asking openreach
C we need to get 50% of the habitable properties to take FTTP. That seems crazy. - why do you think that crazy that you need at least 1 in 2 people to sign up and order a service (which needs to be double your current speed (that ok if you get rubbish ADSL - its is a bit more of a challenge if you already get 50 m/bps FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to