General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Sep-20 10:11:18
Print Post

Re: Cost to enable the village - CFP

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

I agree it does seem to be unlikely that 50% will sign up unless their current broadband is bordering unusable and even then it may still be a stretch unless their is an extremely good salesman in the village who can charm people into signing up. The real question is what percentage of properties have any type of broadband currently, if properties haven't got broadband now then they are unlikely to sign up for the CFP

Just one point about the quote, I know a couple of CFP's where the desktop quote/estimate was used for the final offer (no survey was done).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Sep-20 14:36:55
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

If the FTTC is slow then have seen the FTTP version offered.

Most likely reason for this is that there is a £5 premium imposed on Ofcom on the FTTP price if a superfast (over 24 Mbps) is available from the 40/10 FTTC product. This is there to help increase competition i.e. encourage other FTTP builders in superfast already via FTTC areas.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zag164
(learned) Sun 20-Sep-20 18:59:36
Print Post

[re: mikegg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikegg:
Is there any way I can get a definitive answer that Fibre 1 meets the Voucher requirements (in my case with current 20Mbps I don't see why not) ?

The Gigabit Voucher T's & C's are here:
https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/wp-content/upl...

Requirements in section 4 state that new service must be >30Mbps and double your existing speed. Worth keeping an eye on the terms as they are updated fairly regularly. I downloaded a copy when we claimed the vouchers in case the goalposts were moved!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Sep-20 21:05:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

According to OP, current achievable speed on FTTC is around 20Mbps. This is good in that it's below superfast thresholds, but bad as many in the village might consider this fast enough, and not want to pay any more for FTTP - even if it's only £3-£5 per month.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 20-Sep-20 21:13:22
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

If I'm right, FTTP installed under a CFP would be regular FTTP availability, not FTTPoD?

For the major providers, AIUI FTTP and FTTC prices are the same. It only the above 80Mbps sync speeds that quite reasonably cost more. At under 80Mbps, the bonuses of FTTP against FTTC are the reliability and the guaranteed 100% sync for the package.

To any resident trying to persuade others in the area to join in, those advantages need to be stressed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 20-Sep-20 21:15:43)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Sep-20 23:07:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
For the major providers, AIUI FTTP and FTTC prices are the same.

BT is the only "major" provider selling 40/10 or 80/20 on FTTP though.

Talktalk and Sky just launched but currently only offer 160/30 or higher on FTTP.

Sky will sell FTTP at 40/10 and 80/20 in FTTP only areas but that doesn't help the OP as FTTC is available.

Talktalk charge more for 160/30 on FTTP than they do for the same package on G.Fast. That's the only non BT comparison i can find between the major providers.

Zen charge more for FTTP than FTTC.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 20-Sep-20 23:17:53
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I stand corrected smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Mon 21-Sep-20 22:27:28
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
According to OP, current achievable speed on FTTC is around 20Mbps. This is good in that it's below superfast thresholds, but bad as many in the village might consider this fast enough, and not want to pay any more for FTTP - even if it's only £3-£5 per month.

In which case they are pretty foolish. But as my Grandma used to say a fool and their money are easily parted.

Think of it like this an ADSL connection from PlusNet is £19 a month on an 18month contract. Lets say you would have to pay BT £40 a month for there cheapest FTTP deal over 18 months. So basically an extra £378. I am pretty sure any estate agent will till you especially in a post COVID-19 work that having access to really good broadband is likely to add significantly more than £378 to the value of your property. Not only that it will make it much easier to find a buyer, as the number of people willing to purchase properties with sub standard broadband is rapidly diminishing.

Once you are out your 18 month contract, go back to FTTC/ADSL if you really want to but you will have an ONT in the property. However turn this down and it could easily be more than a decade before you actually get better broadband. Would they be happy today with the broadband speeds they had 10 years ago? Probably not.

People will spend thousands on a new bathroom or kitchen but begrudge less than £500 to make their property infinitely more saleable. Madness I tell you sear madness. Hell you can spend more going round tarting up the property with a lick of paint.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 22-Sep-20 09:21:36
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

If my parents are anything to go by the internet connection is just seen as a tool, and one they don't want to spend anymore money on than necessary. They are not ancient (around 60), however will not spend even a couple of quid more per month on FTTC (even though there street has a brand new cabinet right at the entrance so all houses on the street will get full speed).

I've told them before, they'd be better off getting a basic 40/10 connection for the extra couple of pounds per month, but each time it's the cheapest ADSL they can get as "it's on Money Saving Expert recommendation page".

If they are representative of even a moderately sized subset of their age range, then I can see why selling anything other than bottom of the pile is going to be a challenge. They simply don't listen, even when you explain why something is worth paying a little more for, and even when you explain why they experience some of the issues they have seen.

Banging head against wall mode lol.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 22-Sep-20 10:48:51
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

I get that, though my tactic is if you don't follow my recommendations then I won't help out. So in your situation I would refuse even to discuss the poor broadband with my parents till they got an FTTC connection in. Which I would help with of course.

I note that any ADSL service is awful for video chat as the upload speed is simply not there for a decent picture quality. If you need 1.5 Mbps to stream in SD from iPlayer then you need 1.5Mbps upload speed for an SD video call, which you are unlikely to get on ADSL unless you are next door to the exchange. If you want/need HD video calling then ADLS is simply out the question.

However I am talking about taking a completely different approach. That is talking about making a home worth more money by having access to good broadband. By spending £X you home becomes worth £Y more where Y>X. It's not about utility to the occupant it's about increasing the value of there home.

The second strand to this is should you wish to sell your home it will be much easier with access to good broadband as the pool of people willing to purchase your home is larger. That is there is a significant and growing percentage of home buyers who will simply reject a house out of hand unless it had access to decent broadband.

I would note in my neck of the woods there was a bit of a fuss about some FTTPoD pricing that was on ispreview some time ago now. One of the houses came up for sale offers over £650k very nice, but as far as I can make out was withdrawn from the market after about a year and the BT wholesale checker still shows it with awful broadband.. The words "cut nose spite face" come to mine.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to