General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Moonraker18
(newbie) Wed 16-Sep-20 19:48:45
Print Post

Cost to enable the village - CFP

[link to this post]

Well, we have made it to the design phase for our CFP and we have been quoted just under £600K to enable the whole village which is just over 800 habitable properties. This will include a number of businesses and a primary school.

We are eligible for the rural Gigabit voucher scheme but to cover the costs using vouchers alone we are going to need a 50% uptake which I think is unrealistic. Has anybody seen similar and found a way to deal with it?
Thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 09:47:55
Print Post

Re: Cost to enable the village - CFP

[re: Moonraker18] [link to this post]

I would guess a lot of campaigning to get people to sign up for the vouchers but on the knowledge that if you don't get enough there is going to need to be an up front additional payment to cover the remainder - that may be from a few well off people who are keen to get it done or shared amongst all (but some may drop out if they get told they will have to dig in their own pockets which could make the gap wider again).

It is a difficult balancing act for getting sign ups. Your biggest problems will be the people who may well already have broadband that is "good enough" and therefore don't see the need to be involved.

The school may or may not want to get involved as it depends on how they currently get their link and whether a FTTP connection is considered good enough for them - they may already have better.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Sep-20 10:55:29
Print Post

Just to be clear, is £600K the balance *after* Openreach's own contribution to the CFP?

How many businesses are covered? Can they get larger vouchers than the residential users, and/or sponsor some of the cost themselves as a community benefit?

Are the local council involved, and would they be prepared to contribute directly?

How poor is the existing broadband? If it's 2Mbps ADSL, then it's much easier to persuade large numbers of people to commit to taking a fibre service than if they already have 30M VDSL.

Remind everyone that they don't need to take gigabit services. Subject to the terms of the vouchers, they might only need to take a basic 40M service, which would be around £25-£28 per month (e.g. Sky if coverage available, or BT)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nick_W789
(regular) Thu 17-Sep-20 11:55:37
Print Post

It may seem like setting an even more impossible target, but if you can cover 130% with vouchers (obviously easier with some business vouchers or if you are in one of the areas where the vouchers are being topped up), Openreach will take on the risk. Otherwise, you run into issues with those who who sign up for a voucher but don't (or can't - moved away or died) take a qualifying service when it goes live in up to a year's time.

Also, make sure that the £600K includes VAT!
Standard User zag164
(learned) Thu 17-Sep-20 16:41:05
Print Post

Is Openreach running that as a Demand Led Scheme? OR seem to be moving towards these now. It's much easier to manage as there is no contract to sign and particpants simply make a pledge online to claim a voucher. Once they hit the threshold they will start the work. 800 is a huge no of properties so the easier the better. We are just completing a CFP for 35 properties and even that has taken a lot of my time. Good luck with your project.
Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Thu 17-Sep-20 19:28:53
Print Post

is that formal offer or an initial estimate (they are not the same)
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 19:38:01
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

First number we have received.

To cover this estimate, assuming that we have to cover the entirety and that this number includes VAT, we need to get 50% of the habitable properties to take FTTP. That seems crazy.
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 19:42:32
Print Post

[re: zag164] [link to this post]

Yes I think so. I have had a conversation a few weeks ago which talked about setting a website up so I guess so.
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 19:44:30
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

It is bad enough without adding 20% to it!
Standard User mikegg
(learned) Fri 18-Sep-20 19:27:57
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Remind everyone that they don't need to take gigabit services. Subject to the terms of the vouchers, they might only need to take a basic 40M service, which would be around £25-£28 per month (e.g. Sky if coverage available, or BT)

candlerb - where is your information from ? We are currently in a Demand Led CFP and have been told by the OR rep that people have to sign up to a FTTP product. Our current speeds are c20Mbps,so double our current speed (and over 30Mbps which are the two conditions) could easily be met by say Plusnet but was I told it must be a product from a provider who sells FTTP products (which PN don't). I specifically asked about this and was told it must be an FTTP product.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Sep-20 19:45:09
Print Post

[re: mikegg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikegg:
candlerb - where is your information from ? We are currently in a Demand Led CFP and have been told by the OR rep that people have to sign up to a FTTP product. Our current speeds are c20Mbps,so double our current speed (and over 30Mbps which are the two conditions) could easily be met by say Plusnet but was I told it must be a product from a provider who sells FTTP products (which PN don't). I specifically asked about this and was told it must be an FTTP product.

Indeed you have to take FTTP for gigabit vouchers, and I don't believe I said otherwise. I said "subject to the terms of the vouchers", and "a basic 40M service" (FTTP implied, since FTTP is what we are talking about).

Plusnet don't sell FTTP, but there are several others who do.

The cheapest I know about currently is Sky at £25 for 80M, but it's not available in all exchanges. BT Fibre 1 (50M) for £28 is sure to be available. Aquiss will do you 40M/2M FTTP for £30 (discounted to £15 for first 3 months, 12 month contract, so averages out to £26.25 per month).

Anyway, all I was saying is to remind people that even these are "gigabit vouchers", they are not committed to taking a gigabit service. Otherwise they may baulk at the ~£60 per month cost.
Standard User mikegg
(learned) Fri 18-Sep-20 20:41:42
Print Post

....... BT Fibre 1 (50M) for £28 is sure to be available..

I understood BT Fibre 1 is not an FTTP product and that (in BT's terms) it needs to be an Ultrafast product, the cheapest being Full Fibre 100 at c£40/month ??
Standard User Highland76
(member) Fri 18-Sep-20 21:15:27
Print Post

I understood BT Fibre 1 is not an FTTP product and that (in BT's terms) it needs to be an Ultrafast product, the cheapest being Full Fibre 100 at c£40/month ??

Fibre 1 is FTTP, however its not the cheapest. Cheapest is the entry level Fibre Essential @ £24.99/m which is FTTP 40/10.

Snapshot of BT's FTTP tiers & pricing:

https://postimg.cc/bZpmntKZ

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 08:43:40
Print Post

It is extremely confusing, and BT are *not* helping the consumer confusion about what "fibre" actually means!

However, where I live, I am offered:

* Fibre Essential as FTTC
* Fibre 1 and Fibre 2 as FTTP
* (plus ultrafast options)

My copper line is capable of ~30M down and ~5M up for FTTC. BT's checker offers FTTC speeds for Fibre Essential, but FTTP speeds for Fibre 1 and Fibre 2:
https://imgur.com/HSkK6li

It is especially confusing because all these offers are under a heading saying "What you get with Full Fibre ... A dedicated fibre connection to you door".

Anyway: I am sure you can take BT Fibre 1 at 50M to meet your CFP voucher obligations. You *might* also be able to take Fibre Essential as FTTP, but you're only talking about a saving of £1-£3 per month (Fibre 1 is often on special offer)
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 11:51:46
Print Post

BTW, my copper line recently had a noise fault which Openreach didn't fix for nearly 3 weeks. DLM brought the speeds way down, and 10 days later they are only up to about half what they were originally.

This in turn is reflected in current results from BT checker, under "Fibre Essential":
https://imgur.com/330C1go
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 12:02:09
Print Post

There are also discounts for ultrafast at https://www.bt.com/campaign/full-fibre (not as good as they used to be)

For me it offers Full Fibre 100, Full Fibre 300, and Fibre Essential - but the latter still at FTTC speed.
https://imgur.com/7gqUYsH
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 13:22:51
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Fibre 1 is FTTP, however its not the cheapest. Cheapest is the entry level Fibre Essential @ £24.99/m which is FTTP 40/10.

Snapshot of BT's FTTP tiers & pricing:

https://postimg.cc/bZpmntKZ

I believe BT don't sell Fibre Essential on FTTP where FTTC is available (for most customers anyway).

It offers me Fibre Essentials on FTTC and everything above is FTTP.
I believe that's the case for most customers.

Although it says "What you get with Full Fibre" right above it, my Fibre Essentials estimates are my FTTC estimates.

Looking at your image that's FTTC they are selling you on Fibre Essentials and not FTTP.

FTTP Fibre Essentials has an estimate of 36-36 and 10-10 on FTTP
like here: https://ibb.co/fNxy0wW

That's from an FTTP only address. Every FTTP only address i check has those estimates on FTTP Fibre Essentials.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 19-Sep-20 13:26:21)

Standard User mikegg
(learned) Sat 19-Sep-20 15:50:46
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks to all for their contribution - I agree that BT (and indeed OR) don't make this easy. The one thing I want to be clear about is Fibre 1 (Fibre Essentials is academic as it won't meet the condition of double existing speed). I am 'leading' the CFP and don't want to give my neigbours any incorrect information.

Is there any way I can get a definitive answer that Fibre 1 meets the Voucher requirements (in my case with current 20Mbps I don't see why not) ?

Edited by mikegg (Sat 19-Sep-20 15:51:32)

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 17:46:24
Print Post

Is there any way I can get a definitive answer that Fibre 1 meets the Voucher requirements (in my case with current 20Mbps I don't see why not) ?

I don't see why not either. Perhaps your CFP contact would be prepared to confirm it: they will have lots of experience of the voucher schemes, and Openreach is owned by BT anyway.
Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Sun 20-Sep-20 09:58:27
Print Post

why on earth do you think that crazy

A is the first estimate so its not a final Offer (that could change)
B what conversation and appetite test have you done witt the communty prior to asking openreach
C we need to get 50% of the habitable properties to take FTTP. That seems crazy. - why do you think that crazy that you need at least 1 in 2 people to sign up and order a service (which needs to be double your current speed (that ok if you get rubbish ADSL - its is a bit more of a challenge if you already get 50 m/bps FTTC
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Sep-20 10:11:18
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

I agree it does seem to be unlikely that 50% will sign up unless their current broadband is bordering unusable and even then it may still be a stretch unless their is an extremely good salesman in the village who can charm people into signing up. The real question is what percentage of properties have any type of broadband currently, if properties haven't got broadband now then they are unlikely to sign up for the CFP

Just one point about the quote, I know a couple of CFP's where the desktop quote/estimate was used for the final offer (no survey was done).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Sep-20 14:36:55
Print Post

If the FTTC is slow then have seen the FTTP version offered.

Most likely reason for this is that there is a £5 premium imposed on Ofcom on the FTTP price if a superfast (over 24 Mbps) is available from the 40/10 FTTC product. This is there to help increase competition i.e. encourage other FTTP builders in superfast already via FTTC areas.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zag164
(learned) Sun 20-Sep-20 18:59:36
Print Post

The Gigabit Voucher T's & C's are here:
https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/wp-content/upl...

Requirements in section 4 state that new service must be >30Mbps and double your existing speed. Worth keeping an eye on the terms as they are updated fairly regularly. I downloaded a copy when we claimed the vouchers in case the goalposts were moved!
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Sep-20 21:05:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

According to OP, current achievable speed on FTTC is around 20Mbps. This is good in that it's below superfast thresholds, but bad as many in the village might consider this fast enough, and not want to pay any more for FTTP - even if it's only £3-£5 per month.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 20-Sep-20 21:13:22
Print Post

If I'm right, FTTP installed under a CFP would be regular FTTP availability, not FTTPoD?

For the major providers, AIUI FTTP and FTTC prices are the same. It only the above 80Mbps sync speeds that quite reasonably cost more. At under 80Mbps, the bonuses of FTTP against FTTC are the reliability and the guaranteed 100% sync for the package.

To any resident trying to persuade others in the area to join in, those advantages need to be stressed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 20-Sep-20 21:15:43)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Sep-20 23:07:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
For the major providers, AIUI FTTP and FTTC prices are the same.

BT is the only "major" provider selling 40/10 or 80/20 on FTTP though.

Talktalk and Sky just launched but currently only offer 160/30 or higher on FTTP.

Sky will sell FTTP at 40/10 and 80/20 in FTTP only areas but that doesn't help the OP as FTTC is available.

Talktalk charge more for 160/30 on FTTP than they do for the same package on G.Fast. That's the only non BT comparison i can find between the major providers.

Zen charge more for FTTP than FTTC.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 20-Sep-20 23:17:53
Print Post

I stand corrected smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Mon 21-Sep-20 22:27:28
Print Post

According to OP, current achievable speed on FTTC is around 20Mbps. This is good in that it's below superfast thresholds, but bad as many in the village might consider this fast enough, and not want to pay any more for FTTP - even if it's only £3-£5 per month.

In which case they are pretty foolish. But as my Grandma used to say a fool and their money are easily parted.

Think of it like this an ADSL connection from PlusNet is £19 a month on an 18month contract. Lets say you would have to pay BT £40 a month for there cheapest FTTP deal over 18 months. So basically an extra £378. I am pretty sure any estate agent will till you especially in a post COVID-19 work that having access to really good broadband is likely to add significantly more than £378 to the value of your property. Not only that it will make it much easier to find a buyer, as the number of people willing to purchase properties with sub standard broadband is rapidly diminishing.

Once you are out your 18 month contract, go back to FTTC/ADSL if you really want to but you will have an ONT in the property. However turn this down and it could easily be more than a decade before you actually get better broadband. Would they be happy today with the broadband speeds they had 10 years ago? Probably not.

People will spend thousands on a new bathroom or kitchen but begrudge less than £500 to make their property infinitely more saleable. Madness I tell you sear madness. Hell you can spend more going round tarting up the property with a lick of paint.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 22-Sep-20 09:21:36
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

If my parents are anything to go by the internet connection is just seen as a tool, and one they don't want to spend anymore money on than necessary. They are not ancient (around 60), however will not spend even a couple of quid more per month on FTTC (even though there street has a brand new cabinet right at the entrance so all houses on the street will get full speed).

I've told them before, they'd be better off getting a basic 40/10 connection for the extra couple of pounds per month, but each time it's the cheapest ADSL they can get as "it's on Money Saving Expert recommendation page".

If they are representative of even a moderately sized subset of their age range, then I can see why selling anything other than bottom of the pile is going to be a challenge. They simply don't listen, even when you explain why something is worth paying a little more for, and even when you explain why they experience some of the issues they have seen.

Banging head against wall mode lol.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 22-Sep-20 10:48:51
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

I get that, though my tactic is if you don't follow my recommendations then I won't help out. So in your situation I would refuse even to discuss the poor broadband with my parents till they got an FTTC connection in. Which I would help with of course.

I note that any ADSL service is awful for video chat as the upload speed is simply not there for a decent picture quality. If you need 1.5 Mbps to stream in SD from iPlayer then you need 1.5Mbps upload speed for an SD video call, which you are unlikely to get on ADSL unless you are next door to the exchange. If you want/need HD video calling then ADLS is simply out the question.

However I am talking about taking a completely different approach. That is talking about making a home worth more money by having access to good broadband. By spending £X you home becomes worth £Y more where Y>X. It's not about utility to the occupant it's about increasing the value of there home.

The second strand to this is should you wish to sell your home it will be much easier with access to good broadband as the pool of people willing to purchase your home is larger. That is there is a significant and growing percentage of home buyers who will simply reject a house out of hand unless it had access to decent broadband.

I would note in my neck of the woods there was a bit of a fuss about some FTTPoD pricing that was on ispreview some time ago now. One of the houses came up for sale offers over £650k very nice, but as far as I can make out was withdrawn from the market after about a year and the BT wholesale checker still shows it with awful broadband.. The words "cut nose spite face" come to mine.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-20 13:49:21
Print Post

If a person wants to stay in their home until the day they die then increasing the homes value won't be seen as a benefit as they would never realise it.

Also, if they want video conferencing then they may not need it full screen. If you only have a quarter of the screen displaying video then SD density requires much less bandwidth as there are fewer pixels to cover. Also of course they will see a better quality their end as it will be the download that delivers them the video - it will be the other end that has lower quality and therefore why should they pay to increase the quality for the other person?

Whilst your arguments are reasonable for many people they won't cut if for others - both of those arguments can be easily argued down by someone in their 60's who don't see the benefit of higher speeds. If the current speed is "good enough" and they don't want to sell their house then any extra money spent would be seen as wasted.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Sep-20 16:21:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I think we often forget that not everyone is interested in broadband or the internet (especially the older generation), most of us on this forum post because we are interested in it and a few take it to the next level with what they are prepared to spend to get the very best available. This is no different from car enthusiasts who want and are prepared to pay for the very best cars although a cheap car will normally get you from A to B but just a little slower and the journey will probably be a little less comfortable.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-20 16:34:16
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

My Mum is in her 70's and in the early days I paid for her Internet until she agreed with the benefit. These days she does have FTTP with an 80Mbps service but there are many in the same age group (and other age groups) that don't see the benefit. My hairdresser is in her 50's and doesn't have Internet or a computer - she just uses a smartphone and even then mostly for text and calls.

Personally I have FTTP and a 150Mbps package. I now can get the top package (wasn't available until a couple of weeks ago) but I don't see the point. We are a house of 4. I work in IT, both myself and my wife work from home, son is an avid console gamer and daughter of course is in to all things social media and video streaming. I could upgrade to a higher speed package but can't really justify it at the moment. If a house like mine doesn't need more than 150Mbps then a house with one or two people over 70 that use relatively little Internet aren't going to be rushing to upgrade a basic ADSL/FTTC connection.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Sep-20 12:20:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
I would note in my neck of the woods there was a bit of a fuss about some FTTPoD pricing that was on ispreview some time ago now. One of the houses came up for sale offers over £650k very nice, but as far as I can make out was withdrawn from the market after about a year and the BT wholesale checker still shows it with awful broadband.. The words "cut nose spite face" come to mine.

They would probably still be waiting for it to be installed even if they did order it wink

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Sep-20 17:05:03
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
They would probably still be waiting for it to be installed even if they did order it wink
Also is their any proof it didn't sell because of not having full fibre, it sounds like £650k for a house in that area may be a bit pricey compared to other parts of the UK where you can't even buy a pole barn for the same money.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 29-Sep-20 12:13:03
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Also is their any proof it didn't sell because of not having full fibre, it sounds like £650k for a house in that area may be a bit pricey compared to other parts of the UK where you can't even buy a pole barn for the same money.

No there is no proof. On the other hand what's the market for a period detached property with 5 bedrooms and land, that has naff broadband? I don't imagine that many elderly people not interested in broadband are going to downsize to such a property.

I would argue that 5 bedrooms suggest kids, which means decent broadband is going to be on high on the wanted list.

For all I know they may have decided to stump up the money rather than move. I would imagine that moving would cost more than paying for FTTPoD.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 29-Sep-20 12:26:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
If a person wants to stay in their home until the day they die then increasing the homes value won't be seen as a benefit as they would never realise it.

On the other hand there are numerous reasons why even if you want and plan to stay in your home till you die that, circumstances change and it is no longer possible or even desired. At that point extra equity in your home and the ability to sell it quick is likely to be very welcome.

Alternatively it might be that you could stay in your home but need some equity release to do so. Again having additional equity in your home would be beneficial.

Turning down the option to boost the value of your home for such a modest sum is under almost all circumstances a stupid thing to do. I know I could persuade my 76 year old mother on this easily. Just because you are elderly does not make you stupid. However it is not an angle they might have considered which is why I suggested it as a tactic to take with those that might otherwise not be interested.

Even if it does not work with all of them, you might find it works with enough to smooth things out.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Sep-20 12:52:14
Print Post

Alternatively it might be that you could stay in your home but need some equity release to do so. Again having additional equity in your home would be beneficial.

You're assuming that the mortgage valuer will give a different valuation based on the broadband speed.

You can call people "stupid" (your word, used multiple times) for choosing not to take a particular course of action, but the cost/benefit equation is different for each person. They are free to take whatever course of action suits them best, and I don't think they should be berated for that.

Maybe people are also "stupid" to believe Boris' promise that everyone will have gigabit broadband by 2025 - but some do. Why pay for something you're going to get anyway?
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Sep-20 17:17:44
Print Post

what's the market for a period detached property with 5 bedrooms and land, that has naff broadband?
In my area a minimum of £1.75m if 5 bed properties near me are anything to go by, buyers are typically found in about 4 weeks.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to