General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MattL
(newbie) Wed 16-Sep-20 21:43:52
Print Post

What are my options?

[link to this post]

Currently with VM 200MB connection, BT offerings are ADSL as cabinet not enabled for FTTC due to VM been in the area (so I am told).

Getting more and more frustrated with VM, latency goes through the roof and connection drops, restarting modem daily to even run a teams call. I don't want to go the 4G route as I access things remotely, no FTTC so what other than a business fibre are my options?

I've raised the point with VM, issues disappears for a few days then comes back.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Sep-20 23:46:39
Print Post

Re: What are my options?

[re: MattL] [link to this post]

4G - should let you access things remotely.

If its low latency and not lots of bandwidth you might find working with ADSL if ADSL2+ is not too bad so long as fairly close to the exchange.

A lot depends on what the remote working is like in terms of data volumes.

Business fibre as is leased line is the ultimate but most expensive option.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Thu 17-Sep-20 03:52:27
Print Post

Never in a million years would I change from Virgin to standard ADSL choose how bad you think they are.

Trust me I know better than anyone. frown

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Sep-20 05:00:42
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
Never in a million years would I change from Virgin to standard ADSL choose how bad you think they are.

Trust me I know better than anyone. frown

Have you used Virgin? Lol.

For some quality of connection is know important than having huge amounts of bandwidth available.
The cable network can be considerably worse for latency sensitive applications than the ADSL network.

Gaming on Virgin can be woefully painful. Some see their headline speeds and think it must be amazing.
The speeds are great, fantastic even! The latency and jitter for me was shocking though.
And that was on a brand spanking new full fibre network!!
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Thu 17-Sep-20 05:55:42
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Have you used Virgin? Lol.

No but given the situation I am in I would snap their hand off.

Gaming on Virgin can be woefully painful.

GAMING.. GAMING..confused

I am struggling to open straight forward emails, Gaming of any nature isn't possible at my home that's a fact.

The speeds are great, fantastic even! The latency and jitter for me was shocking though.
And that was on a brand spanking new full fibre network!!

You hit the nail on the head John "The speeds are great, fantastic even" meaning you can have SkyQ. Meaning you can watch Netflix, Meaning you can watch a video in a higher resolution than 360 where it still buffers.
As I first quoted "Never in a million years buddy. wink

BTBroadband
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Sep-20 06:07:01
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

That's your own circumstances! Not all ADSL is as slow as yours.

I'm simply pointing out for some it provides enough bandwidth and the quality of the connection often exceeds that of Virgins DOCSIS network.

Of course if i was stuck with 2Mb ADSL I'd also bite your hand off for Virgin smile

However if i had 15-20Mb ADSL I'd consider keeping that over Virgin.
Recent upload requirements linked to my work might make that difficult though!

I'm in the fortunate position that both Virgin and OpenReach have rolled out FTTP to my street in the last 12 months.
OpenReach's FTTP is night and day to Virgins imo.

Hopefully your fibre comes soon!
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Thu 17-Sep-20 06:15:43
Print Post

I'm in the fortunate position that both Virgin and OpenReach have rolled out FTTP to my street in the last 12 months.
OpenReach's FTTP is night and day to Virgins imo.

You are a very lucky man John. wink

Hopefully your fibre comes soon!

22nd March 2017 we were told FTTP was coming our way.

17th September2020 (today) we are still waiting although forever getting closer with our build.

You will get an invite to our party when it happens.. grin

I hope you understand my statement for the OP changing now, yes probably looking at my own predicament. wink

BTBroadband
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 09:52:34
Print Post

With gaming it is a balance. Consistent latency is important but if you are doing console gaming then speed can also be very useful when a massive update gets published and you can't play for 2 days because of the speed of the link making the download take forever.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 10:01:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I read this as remotely back to home, not from home to remote. I think you might have read the other way.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Thu 17-Sep-20 10:01:57)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Sep-20 10:04:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by MattL:
I've raised the point with VM, issues disappears for a few days then comes back.
Get the logs from your Hub, and set up a BQM using a DDNS, and keep posting on the community forums in the same thread.

If you have a lot of T3 / T4 time outs, this will be problems in the coax infrastructure in the street that needs to be fixed, since much of it is over 30 years old. If not many customers in your area, Virgin Media won't be proactively fixing.

If you use your own router (hub in modem mode), switch back to router mode for a while, see if it helps, and use your own router as a WiFi access point. The Hub is more forgiving of connections that are flaky.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Thu 17-Sep-20 10:40:28
Print Post

Currently with VM 200MB connection, BT offerings are ADSL as cabinet not enabled for FTTC due to VM been in the area (so I am told).

Getting more and more frustrated with VM, latency goes through the roof and connection drops, restarting modem daily to even run a teams call. I don't want to go the 4G route as I access things remotely, no FTTC so what other than a business fibre are my options?

I'd keep pestering VM to fix it.
about a year ago I moved from a flat where I had 80Mbps FTTC to a house with 50Mbps FTTC and 350Mbps Virgin.
I picked Virgin and touch wood i've had zero issues, it works perfectly for gaming and streaming. I can even stream live on Twitch while my fiancé watches stuff online.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 17-Sep-20 10:46:09
Print Post

In what way do you "access" things remotely?

I have 4G on phone and also through a router, and can control my brother's computer remotely using Chrome at both ends. That does of course require a body at the remote end to help set up the connection each time, but it is very quick and easy.

That may of course be far too basic for your needs, which is the reason for my opening question smile. Plus of course using 4G for some purpose(s) doesn't rule out still using VM for others.

Zoom and Google Duo both work well, I don't know about MS Teams.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Sep-20 11:04:41
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I read this as remotely back to home, not from home to remote. I think you might have read the other way.

You could take the AAISP L2TP service for £10 per month, and run it over 4G. This will give you static IPv4+IPv6. Limited to 100Mbps up/down and 1TB/month, but over 4G that should be fine.

(Aside: they can also supply a data SIM which gives you a public, static IPv4 address directly. But you'll pay 1.75p+VAT per megabyte for the data transfer)
Standard User MattL
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 13:13:18
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Correct when I'm away from home I do dial back home.
Standard User MattL
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 13:14:39
Print Post

I'm curious to know what a leased line option would cost, prices seem to be all over the place.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Sep-20 13:28:00
Print Post

4G can still work, install a 4G router and run a 4G service with static IP with AAISP

Leased line prices are all over the place as geography plays a massive part, as does what you need in terms of speeds

So www.LineBroker.co.uk for no reason other than can remember URL suggests 30 Mbps symmetric around £220/m for one urban postcode I checked.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jpm
(regular) Thu 17-Sep-20 17:57:22
Print Post

If you're in a Virgin Media area you should be able to get their DIA Lite service

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/connectivity/i...

Once you're spending over £250/month though you get a lot more options - by the time you're covering the 1Gbps Openreach bearer cost the price for each Mbps of bandwidth drops drastically, 500Mbps is about where things tend to dip below the £1-per-mbps level

I'm based in the East Midlands and we pay around £400 for a 500Mbps service - these are all ex-VAT prices.

Edited by jpm (Thu 17-Sep-20 17:58:40)

Standard User MattL
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-20 18:47:51
Print Post

Thanks will look at both. 4G from EE is really good here and cost wise would be cheap enough. Will do a bit of digging.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Thu 17-Sep-20 19:00:12
Print Post

Thanks will look at both. 4G from EE is really good here and cost wise would be cheap enough. Will do a bit of digging.

If you're in a VM area, there are a variety of resellers for VMB leased line services.

As said prices do vary hugely between geography and Virgin themselves wont always be the most competitive with their product. Try another provider that re-sells VMB leased line products like 2Connect for example. They are a small, shall we say 'boutique' outfit, but offer some great LL deals. Well worth looking into.

Edited by Pheasant (Thu 17-Sep-20 19:01:14)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to