General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Xuse
(learned) Fri 18-Sep-20 11:44:32
Print Post

FTTP coming and roadworks started, rough eta?

[link to this post]

Read in the newspaper that FTTP is finally coming to my area, I popped postcode in the openreach site and it says I'm included in the rollout. I then began checking the roadworks site and there is roadworks from Sept-Nov which I'm assuming and hoping is the start of things. Assuming the build has started, how long could it take? I realize it's a how long is a piece of string question, but I've been stuck with abysmal internet for years and even just a rough idea as to when I could potentially be able to get FTTP would be great.

Can someone explain the build process in general? Like do they dig up the roads, use poles etc. I'd love to see the process in general, but google fails me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Sep-20 12:01:37
Print Post

Re: FTTP coming and roadworks started, rough eta?

[re: Xuse] [link to this post]

In some cases no need for roadworks, so first you may know is service is avialable, unless you catch the installers down a hole or up a pole.

There is no absolute order but what is needed is

1. Spine cable to cope with the number of properties in the area. This may already exist or need additional one added. This will be to a fairly central point.
2. Splitters placed strategically throughout area to cover
3. Fitting manifold, usually called a CBT where fibre simply plugs in and is run to the home when someone orders.

Roadworks will be most usual for clearing a block in the duct or installed a larger chamber to house splitter or CBT. They avoid digging up roads if they can.

If area is a mix of overhead and underground then the fibre will end up being a mix.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8620-a-walk-in-a... is a bit wordy, but does have links to most of the key kit you will see.

They started in October and I was just recently connected and live. Some people went live a lot earlier.

WARNING: Full coverage of an exchange area is rare, but if the Openreach roll-out is positive you should be OK, but as with any plan it might change

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Xuse
(learned) Fri 18-Sep-20 12:13:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I was just wondering as the roadworks are right in town near all the main businesses in the area.

Thanks for the information, I had a look at your link and while it's a bit over my head seeing the equipment they use could be useful. I have a telephone pole in my garden so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Yeah, I'm still sceptical that I'll actually get it. I'm cautiously optimistic. Do they normally target poor speed areas? a few blocks away if I put my aunts postcode in it says she won't be getting it where as mines does, so I'm hopeful, but I realize it could still change.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Sep-20 13:21:27
Print Post

If its a place on the Fibre First/Villages list then tends to be a wide variety of areas, but things like new build and areas with slow speeds do seem to be done earlier - or might just be easier to spot from my side.

There is a chance that the work you are seeing may be a business that has ordered a dedicated business grade fibre connection.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Xuse
(learned) Fri 18-Sep-20 23:01:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It is Fibre First. Probably would have been helpful had I told you that from the start. Rural-ish area in Scotland.

I have a question. If they put the fibre up the pole do they need access to the bottom of the pole? Our pole is blocked by two hedges and normally openreach engineers use ladders onto the pole, (seen one up it a few weeks ago) but I'm just wondering if they'd need access from the bottom or not because if they do it's going to be a big problem.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Sep-20 23:19:44
Print Post

They can clear scrub/trees back to gain access but if existing copper is all overhead at that point then likely fibre would be.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Sep-20 12:12:48
Print Post

because if they do it's going to be a big problem.

They mole plow under rivers, they've blasted through rocks, they use drones to cross steep rural terrain and the reach Islands with sub sea cables.

Hedges at the bottom of a telegraph pole won't be a big problem! It won't be an issue at all.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sat 19-Sep-20 18:57:21
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
because if they do it's going to be a big problem.

They mole plow under rivers, they've blasted through rocks, they use drones to cross steep rural terrain and the reach Islands with sub sea cables.

Hedges at the bottom of a telegraph pole won't be a big problem! It won't be an issue at all.

How the heck do they move plow UNDER a river? Directional drill (precision tunnel) I understandable but mole plow?
Standard User Xuse
(learned) Mon 26-Oct-20 14:11:45
Print Post

I'm seeing activity in my street now / road works.
can't go out for a nosey as I'm self isolating while waiting on COVID test results.
Interestingly enough the road works aren't showing up on one.network but I'm looking out at my window at them right now.
Standard User djb61
(newbie) Tue 27-Oct-20 11:53:24
Print Post

I'm also seeing activity here in Stratford-upon-Avon, similarly some of it is on one.network and some isn't.
For the last couple of weeks there have been numerous duct clearance jobs appearing on one.network across the main roads and the newer estates with ducted lines (including mine).

Yesterday I spotted them outside pulling the blue draw cord ropes through the ducts on my estate but this didn't appear on one.network, I guess they don't need to notify the council of that if it doesn't cause any disruption maybe.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to