General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jamesmacwhite
(newbie) Mon 21-Sep-20 19:47:57
Print Post

FTTP for a modern build area, what are the requirements?

[link to this post]

This is more curiosity than anything, but I was wondering about how would Openreach go about enabling my area for FTTP under the standard/normal circumstances generally? To clarify I'm not interested in FTTPoD or anything like that, just about the process on what steps are needed to get FTTP to an area, which is currently FTTC only. I'll provide some background on the area in hopes this helps provide some detail.

The area I live at was completed in 2006, so fairly "new" but obviously predating before FTTP was prevalent. All the houses were pre-wired with BT lines and the whole area is underground ducting no telegraph poles. All houses have BT cable entry covers on the front in varying locations, depending on the property leading into the premises. Right now you can get up to 80 Mbps through FTTC. Virgin Media are also in the area, but their cabling is a bit patchy for some houses. Suggesting that Virgin Media extended their network sometime after the construction was done, but only covered some properties. I myself had to wait two months for construction, so they could extend their cabling down to the bottom of a cul-de-sac where I am, they seemingly stopped about mid way which they couldn't really explain but could have been for many reasons. So half the houses at the bottom end were SOL on broadband choice, until I came along, as now their cables do reach the bottom end and two other properties on either side now have this option although their checker still says "contact us to discuss further" which I had to originally. Now though there is a T point available at least.

Because the area itself has modern ducting in place, does this mean that running FTTP cables through shouldn't be too difficult? Equally, running these cables to each premise with the BT entry covers already in place means there should be access for new cables to come through potentially, without tearing up people's tarmac drives? I unfortunately, had to pay that price when Virgin Media did agree to extend down to me and hence paid the construction/civil costs to enable me to get service, by taking a small bit off the edge off my drive to do it, because it is all tarmac, no garden, soil, gravel etc, a small price to pay however for having faster broadband!

The exchange I'm going to is FTTP enabled according to the data, my approx distance (straight line) is 817 metres, but the majority of the town does not have FTTP from a residential standpoint based on coverage maps. The exchange itself is classified as Market 3 so it has various providers and LLUs, along with Virgin Media in the surrounding area.

I've read that new build areas within the past 10 years or so generally wouldn't show up on the typical, announcement of build lists and eventually it just happens at some point. I figured that due to the fact the exchange is classified as Market 3/4 and has an major alternative provider i.e. Virgin Media for faster speeds greater than FTTC, that the area isn't likely to get it FTTP anytime soon, as it doesn't fit the priority list.

Just generally curious, apologies if this is a stupid question, I've found myself becoming more and more interested in the infrastructure behind all of this and generally interested about it all!

Edited by jamesmacwhite (Mon 21-Sep-20 21:28:24)

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Sep-20 20:11:13
Print Post

Re: FTTP for a modern build area, what are the requirements?

[re: jamesmacwhite] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jamesmacwhite:
Because the area itself has modern ducting in place, does this mean that running FTTP cables through shouldn't be too difficult? Equally, running these cables to each premise with the BT entry covers already in place means there should be access for new cables to come through potentially, without tearing up people's tarmac drives?

Yes.

The exchange I'm going to is FTTP enabled according to the data, my approx distance (straight line) is 817 metres

The exchange where the fibre it lit (the headend exchange) is not necessarily the same as the local exchange where copper terminates. It can be a much larger exchange some distance away.

I figured that due to the fact the exchange is classified as Market 3/4 and has an major alternative provider i.e. Virgin Media for faster speeds greater than FTTC, that the area isn't likely to get it FTTP anytime soon, as it doesn't fit the priority list.

Not at all. Virgin has proved there's demand, and Virgin has done the marketing to raise awareness of higher speed broadband. Hence there's a ready market of people ready to see some competition, and an opportunity for Openreach to capture them back.

In areas without Virgin, Openreach would only be competing with itself - which means there is less commercial benefit to rolling out FTTP.
(newbie) Mon 21-Sep-20 21:25:03
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Thank you for your insights, it is appreciated!

Good to know the cul-de-sac I live at is least fairly straightforward to deploy FTTP cables if and when that happens at least!

With the local exchange vs headend exchange point you've made, I guess this is a key part to the FTTP puzzle, before you can even consider upgrading areas served by the local exchange? As in, right now the local exchange I'm going to technically has FTTP enabled but not necessarily available, is further work needed at the headend for this to be made available on-mass so to speak?

I didn't think of it that way regarding competition. I was viewing it on more of the fact that due to the lack of FTTP product from Openreach, BT and no other LLUs and such can offer anything better, Virgin Media have basically had a monopoly on faster broadband in my area for years, although those not happy or not willing to go with Virgin Media, I guess would want the competition, so it works both ways I guess!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 21-Sep-20 22:15:20
Print Post

As in, right now the local exchange I'm going to technically has FTTP enabled but not necessarily available, is further work needed at the headend for this to be made available on-mass so to speak?

Unless your local exchange also happens to be the GEA headend exchange, where the “fibre is lit”, so to speak, your nearest local exchange doesn’t really come into it at all.

FTTP is distributed via a completely separate network to the copper. Conceptually with FTTP the devices in the network called Aggregation Nodes are more important (as they are a direct link to the Headend exchange). Not local exchanges per se.
(newbie) Mon 21-Sep-20 22:40:20
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Thanks for clarifying.

I've seen Aggregation Nodes and FTTP commonly referred to in many threads here and other places. Where do these nodes exist within the network? Are these usually found in underground ducts?

Edited by jamesmacwhite (Mon 21-Sep-20 23:01:51)

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 21-Sep-20 23:05:49
Print Post

Typically installed within underground chambers. They are the primary fibre network distributor/breakout after the headend exchange, positioned in a radial fashion.

AN’s directly feed both FTTC cabinets and the downstream FTTP network. Within the FTTP distribution, once the fibre leaves the headend exchange it is completely passive until it reaches the ONT inside your premises, where the signals are converted from light to electrical (Ethernet).
(newbie) Mon 21-Sep-20 23:17:45
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Thanks. All very interesting stuff!

The ONT essentially being the FTTP equivalent of what would be a DSL modem converting the signal to Ethernet from a FTTC perspective? The modem for a fibre connection essentially.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 21-Sep-20 23:30:53
Print Post

Yes precisely. The Optical Network Terminal. Sometimes in other settings/countries referred to as the Optical Network Unit (ONU). Same thing.

Its partner in crime in the exchange is usually called the OLT or Optical Line Terminal. Roughly equivalent to something like the DSLAM.
Standard User zag164
(learned) Fri 25-Sep-20 16:39:58
Print Post

Try this link to get a quote from Openreach under a Community Fibre Project. It may cost less than you think given you have modern ducting etc.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/community-...
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Fri 25-Sep-20 16:49:58
Print Post

[re: zag164] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zag164:
Try this link to get a quote from Openreach under a Community Fibre Project. It may cost less than you think given you have modern ducting etc.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/community-...

If there are already good FTTC speeds and Virgin available in the OPs area then the chances of other residents contributing to the CFP build are close to zero. A CFP usually succeeds where no kind of super fast broadband exists, eg residents still stuck on adsl2+ or ADSL Max or poor FTTC speeds.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to