General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nathant1985
(newbie) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:16:08
Print Post

FTTP On Demand

[link to this post]

I've just used the BT Wholesale Checker and it says FTTP On Demand is available. I've tried many service providers but they all say the fastest available is a 80/20 fttc connection.

Am i missing something, or with FTTC on Demand i would need to pay for the fibre run?
(newbie) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:21:25
Print Post

Re: FTTP On Demand

[re: nathant1985] [link to this post]

I've done a screenshot of the checker.

https://ibb.co/Qnk3VnL

Just on a quest for a ultra fast connection, Virgin seem to have congestion issues in my location.

Edited by nathant1985 (Wed 23-Sep-20 16:22:20)

Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:27:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by nathant1985:
I've just used the BT Wholesale Checker and it says FTTP On Demand is available. I've tried many service providers but they all say the fastest available is a 80/20 fttc connection.

Am i missing something, or with FTTC on Demand i would need to pay for the fibre run?

You will need to contact a provider like Cerberus networks.
They will provide a desktop survey that will give you indicative costs to install FTTPoD.
You can then pay £250 + VAT for a full survey to find out exact costs to install.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:37:44
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

Ah i see, i didn't expect EC's on a residential connection - perhaps i was being naive.

Thanks for your help.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-20 17:05:04
Print Post

There are threads on here but don't be surprised if costs are £10K to £30K for the install and then you will pay business rates for the broadband for the minimum term. FTTPoD is really aimed at businesses rather than residential as a product.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Sep-20 17:37:16
Print Post

FTTP on Demand is, in principle, available to order anywhere that has FTTC, as long as it's not a multiple dwelling unit (e.g. flats).

It means paying Openreach to install a custom build-out of their FTTP network to your location. The cost depends on the distance and complexity of the installation, but the minimum quoted these days for a simple install is about £8K+VAT, and it can be much higher.

You pay up-front, and there's no guaranteed installation time: typically it takes 6 to 18 months to complete.

There are a handful of ISPs who will sell you FTTPoD, such as Cerberus.

You will have typically a 12-month contract with your initial provider, after which you can switch to a native FTTP service from any ISP that sells services over the Openreach FTTP network.

The piece of FTTP network that you paid to build will normally also make service available to a few neighbours - those who are served by the same pole or footway box - and they'll be able to order native FTTP from day one. It's possible to link multiple FTTPoD orders to build to a larger area, but above 2 or 3 you're likely to be better off going with a Community Fibre Partnership (CFP).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Sep-20 17:43:16
Print Post

Should be highlight that FTTP on Demand is NOT the same as the availability of FTTP like we talk about on https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local

FTTP On Demand is a custom build version, rather than the usual deployments.

Pricing is cheaper long term than a business leased line, but in short term a business leased line can be cheaper.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to