General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Mar-21 22:13:35
Print Post

Re: FTTP - Signs of Install Starting!

[re: RR_The_IT_Guy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RR_The_IT_Guy:
I am a computer science student in astrea sixth form
Purely out of interest, how old does that make you?
Standard User RR_The_IT_Guy
(regular) Fri 26-Mar-21 22:49:20
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I get you ask this purely out of interest however the fact that you already know this much is considerably more than i would usually allow especially when its a discussion on a forum that is available to all and I am quite particular about what information is public knowledge but to make you happy I will hint that it is over 17 and that's all i'm willing to say this publicly partly due to identity theft amongst other reasons.
I'm not saying this because of anyone here it's just my policy to be vague when it comes to personal information and not to include any identifiable images online or anything that could compromise my situation.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User dect
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Mar-21 22:59:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by RR_The_IT_Guy:
I will hint that it is over 17
Yeah not to far over that I am guessing, you're right not to disclose too much about yourself online thats sensible.

Edited by dect (Fri 26-Mar-21 22:59:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Fri 26-Mar-21 23:27:17
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

One of the reasons I don't is because I know someone who had a visit from the police because of certain events lets say and I feel that's enough said.
I know the people who are in my contacts get an email and text at the start of every year. It explains a range of the latest security risks but mostly about how people can use their data in a variety of ways from making a copy of keys to a new house or looking through tags in facebook posts to see a house number and a street name separately in the shot or tagged.
The potential of seemingly unobvious clues and if they don't believe me and ask me to prove it to them, I simply say go to IMessage take a picture of the floor and send it to me and then send them a screenshot back of their location and that's when they go okay i should do something about this. 9 times out of 10 their locations are enabled which makes things easy for anyone to track. I know I spend a good portion of my time teaching people that there are logs on everything they do, even by asking them if i can borrow their phone to show them how to get the logs with GDPR regs, then showing them the disappearing messages they sent, are not so disappearing. That one is always fun.
I know one thing I was voted most likely to take over the world my response to that was keep on top of your cyber security and there is no reason anyone will be able to do that, you can imagine my response was slightly controversial however effective.
The majority of people no longer have shared locations with everybody and only select few I tend to be included as everyone knows i only do good unlike some of the hackers i know so clearly my message to over 500 People is getting through.
I know the people i have helped and shown so appreciation. This have meant they have never stopped thanking me, before they always wondered how people found out where they lived, no surprise there, they definitely appreciated my advice.
I know the people who want to know addresses and who want to know everything aren't happy but i feel like that might be a good thing most people don't want some dude stalking them.

I know I do my best to ensure that no information about me and the people i know gets out or if so that the damage is minimal and use right to be forgotten forms to ensure minimalistic results.

I feel you can tell from this that data security and cyber security is an area I have more knowledge in.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Sat 27-Mar-21 08:39:17
Print Post

Please keep your posts relevant to the thread and not so much repetitive stuff about how wonderful you are.smile
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Sat 27-Mar-21 09:26:02
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
Please keep your posts relevant to the thread and not so much repetitive stuff about how wonderful you are.smile

That would be nice, every time I notice a new post on my thread I hope someone has some good news for me! haha smile
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 09:45:43
Print Post

[re: kjwkjw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kjwkjw:
Is it unusual for night work on deployments?

I took the dog for a walk around 1900 yesterday and there was a guy working in the pitch black splicing fibre with just a head torch at one of the local aggregation nodes.

Imagine my surprise when I took the dog out again in the morning at 0630 to find him still there splicing away!

Glad to witness more progress, but cant imagine splicing in the dark over night is an easy job to be undertaking.

Sound like you’re in the home stretch. 👍

My Broadband Speed Test
(regular) Sat 27-Mar-21 11:00:32
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Ok will do

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User djb61
(newbie) Tue 30-Mar-21 12:14:37
Print Post

[re: djb61] [link to this post]

Just to close off my part of this thread. Openreach came and did the second part of the install yesterday, all connected and working now.
They fitted a Nokia ONT.

I did have a minor issue after connecting up my Google Nest Wifi router to the ONT and a speedtest showing 20mbit/7mbit like my old connection. The Nest router does an automated speed test every two days and it seems it uses this in order to then apply some QoS to connections, so because the last speedtest showed 20mbit it was throttling me to that. After running a new speedtest on the router (which came out as 891/90) it was happy and unthrottled me.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Mon 26-Apr-21 20:04:02
Print Post

[re: djb61] [link to this post]

So my build appears to be coming to a close, heard back from someone today on the planning team that they hope to have commissioning and testing done in the next few weeks all being well.

I now however may have another issue in that the 3rd party team testing property ducts couldn't seem to get their rods from my property, or the other 3 that share a duct back to the footway box today (circa 15m run according to the estate plans) Most other properties now have a blue rope tied up outside.

I assume this wont prevent an order, but may delay it when they come to do the 1st stage of the install? Would hate to be this close and then blocked from ordering because a 3rd party team couldn't get a rope in.

Thoughts?

Edited by kjwkjw (Mon 26-Apr-21 20:05:41)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to