General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Wed 30-Sep-20 15:35:39
Print Post

FTTP - Signs of Install Starting!

[link to this post]

Afternoon All,

So I arrived home today and found the streets around my new build estate awash with BT vans and engineers opening up man hole covers and peering down them for a few minutes and then moving onto the next (one of them had a tablet with him which looked like it showed all the cable routes)

I live in a post code area that is part of the rural villages build (Minster/Sheerness) so was happy to see some sign of life.... should this mean that work is about to start hopefully?

The last email I had from the fibre contact team said all being well things should be live by MAR21 so it kind of all fits together hopefully?

I have been watching roadworks.org like a hawk so was very happy when I caught them in the act smile
Standard User slimj
(member) Thu 01-Oct-20 08:58:31
Print Post

Re: FTTP - Signs of Install Starting!

[re: kjwkjw] [link to this post]

It is likely yes, they may just be doing surveys at the moment, but it's a good sign.

FTTP work does appear to be picking up across Kent at the moment. I'm also seeing a few areas local to me that are not on any list with fibre coiled ready for rollout (assuming it's not FTTPoD) + postcodes in Ramsgate, Broadstairs, Deal, Faversham, etc starting to come online.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Thu 01-Oct-20 14:07:49
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

A lot of Kent seems to be included in the various projects which is nice to see...

I am hoping being on a new build estate thats all been ducted in the last 5 years should mean its a quick win and we will be one of the first around here!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Thu 01-Oct-20 20:04:21
Print Post

So they came back today, although they were from a company called Full Fibre Network Group and were installing blue draw ropes in the main pavement chambers (strangely they were only incorporated as a company in July 2020)

Guess they are doing the prep for the Openreach guys to come in behind and pull in the fibre?

Edited by kjwkjw (Thu 01-Oct-20 20:06:07)

Standard User shortshrift27
(newbie) Thu 01-Oct-20 20:24:24
Print Post

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/perry-spencer-b672b41b3
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Thu 01-Oct-20 21:17:25
Print Post

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

Ah! Obviously more money to be made in contracting smile I guess BT need all the help they can get with the scale of their role out plans.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Fri 02-Oct-20 10:54:51
Print Post

Trying to get it done before they need a permit to get into Kent from outside and/or Kent unilaterally declares independence smile

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-21 14:41:11
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

Looks like my fibre dream is closing in!

Imagine my surprise to see activity in my floor box this morning (on a Sunday!)

CBT install complete, just need it all to be joined up now smile

https://pasteboard.co/JJ0jQTc.png
Standard User jamie1985
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-21 23:49:00
Print Post

Normally once CBT is on it normally takes 1-4 weeks before FTTP shows up on BT site.. we switched from virgin to BT once we knew they were live and it took them 1 week go live once the CBT was installed.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by jamie1985 (Sun 10-Jan-21 23:49:33)

Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-21 07:37:20
Print Post

[re: jamie1985] [link to this post]

The guys doing the CBT installs across the estate said they would not be doing the splicing and that BT would be coming at some point to do it.

When I last got in touch with Openreach they said by March 21 so I guess they will come back some time before then to finish the job!

To be honest I am just happy it actually still happened to plan especially considering the current circumstances.

Just glad I have finally seen some concrete proof that its coming! smile
Standard User _Icaras_
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-21 07:45:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by kjwkjw:
Ah! Obviously more money to be made in contracting smile I guess BT need all the help they can get with the scale of their role out plans.

Surely most of Openreach’s FTTP build is done by contractors? Has been round here anyway, with just the occasional Openreach van popping up.

Icaras
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-21 09:21:42
Print Post

[re: _Icaras_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by _Icaras_:

Surely most of Openreach’s FTTP build is done by contractors? Has been round here anyway, with just the occasional Openreach van popping up.

So far its been that same company I previously mentioned doing everything so looks that way.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Mon 15-Feb-21 11:18:22
Print Post

Just to keep the timeline up to date, CBT's been in a month now but not live as yet...

Have seen plenty more being installed not just on my estate but further out into the area so I guess they are going for a big bang enablement rather than in bits smile

Hopefully not much longer!
Standard User simon194
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Feb-21 08:30:34
Print Post

I'm in the waiting game in my area. Openreach's contractors put in the ducting and installed the CBT's in the footway boxes a couple of weeks ago but according to the latest update Openreach are "fibering-up" an area 30 miles away at the moment.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Thu 04-Mar-21 10:27:29
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

So nearly 2 months after all the CBT's were installed around my area, no signs of go live as yet frown Anyone in the know aware of any hold ups with the build in Minster (Sheppey) or is it just one of those things smile

We are a fibre village area and they have done a lot of work in the area so was thinking they may use this to bump the numbers for their March deadline... we will see.
Standard User djb61
(newbie) Thu 04-Mar-21 11:07:39
Print Post

I'm in the same situation in Stratford upon Avon, the CBTs went in the underground chambers in October 2020. Some roadworks appeared for 4th Feb to unblock a duct on the main road back to the aggregation node (the local council restricts works on that road for Christmas between November and January).
They were back on the estate testing something in the chambers on 5th or 6th Feb. I thought at that point it wouldn't be long before it was enabled (another retrofit newish build estate in Stratford went live in January) but now a month later still nothing. No planned works visible on one.network either.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Thu 04-Mar-21 11:12:57
Print Post

[re: djb61] [link to this post]

I did email into Openreach as they are the ones who originally said by March 2021, but not come back to me... probably got bored with me keep emailing them smile

I have been monitoring the progress like a hawk and my new build estate had guys here throughout January doing CBT's and running fibre for the splitters etc (all underground)

Another area up the road is all pole mounted HW and again all the splitters and CBT's have been installed for a while.

Guess either work in the exchange or the spine cabling is holding up progress potentially.

If anyone in the know has some info ill buy you a beer or 2 tongue

Edited by kjwkjw (Thu 04-Mar-21 11:15:24)

Standard User frod1
(regular) Thu 04-Mar-21 13:37:23
Print Post

Try asking them on Twitter smile
Standard User andynormancx
(committed) Thu 04-Mar-21 14:39:17
Print Post

There are several areas around here where some fibre infrastructure was in place a couple of years ago, yet they've still not actually installed any fibre to the houses. It can some times take a very long time frown
Standard User slimj
(committed) Thu 04-Mar-21 14:46:00
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
There are several areas around here where some fibre infrastructure was in place a couple of years ago, yet they've still not actually installed any fibre to the houses. It can some times take a very long time frown

They normally only run cables to the pole/chambers. It's only run to houses upon order for FTTP service.

Have you checked to see whether it can be ordered in any of these locations?
Standard User djb61
(newbie) Fri 05-Mar-21 12:28:12
Print Post

Finally something new this morning. I spotted one man in an Openreach van going around and taking a quick look in each of the underground chambers on the estate.
This is the first time there has been an actual Openreach van here, all the work until now has been contractors (MAP Group).
I'm hoping this is Openreach doing an inspection/signoff for the contractors work and therefore it might get enabled shortly, assuming they spotted no problems.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Fri 05-Mar-21 14:42:29
Print Post

Nice, I assume that is what I am waiting for as well.

I did see someone at an aggregation node that serves my new build estate splicing away today and roadworks.org has them scheduled there from yesterday until Saturday evening, hopefully connected.

In other news has anyone else noticed roadworks.org no longer gives any detail? i.e. I can see Openreach have work ongoing but not what they are doing.... shame as it was a good way to track progress.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Mar-21 15:02:41
Print Post

In other news has anyone else noticed roadworks.org no longer gives any detail? i.e. I can see Openreach have work ongoing but not what they are doing.... shame as it was a good way to track progress.

I noticed that too. Even council work doesn't say what they're doing any more.
Standard User threelegs
(member) Fri 05-Mar-21 15:26:48
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

one network who do the roadworks data says the lack of detail is to do with data protection!!!!!!???
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 05-Mar-21 15:58:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:

I noticed that too. Even council work doesn't say what they're doing any more.

Yes all changed a few weeks ago as the DfT change the rules big time...

https://onenetworkhq.medium.com/street-manager-what-...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Mar-21 20:48:38
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:

What they're really saying is "our business model requires more people to pay for subscription access".

If it were truly about data protection, then it wouldn't matter whether you were a paying customer. They'd either be allowed to share the data, or not.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 05-Mar-21 21:14:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:

What they're really saying is "our business model requires more people to pay for subscription access".

If it were truly about data protection, then it wouldn't matter whether you were a paying customer. They'd either be allowed to share the data, or not.

It’s going “closed shop”. To get the dirt about the dirt you need to be an employee of a street works approved contractor.

To me it read like there was simply too much good publicly accessible info out there to hang people on. IYSWIM.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User djb61
(newbie) Thu 11-Mar-21 10:32:48
Print Post

I had MAP group contractors back in the chambers on Monday, presumably the Openreach inspection found some things that needed addressing.
Overnight the wholesale checker has updated the FTTPoD speed from 330/30 to 1000/220 which from other threads here sounds like it can be a sign that FTTP will be enabled shortly, I'm hoping it is close now.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Thu 11-Mar-21 17:01:57
Print Post

Yep! Sounds like it wont be long before you can order. Still hoping mine will change one day haha.

They are putting up more and more CBT's, but nothing yet live in my estate or a number of others in the area that I know have had the kit installed this year.

To be honest I am just glad I know the kit is there, at least means its coming rather than sometime before 20xx? smile
Standard User djb61
(newbie) Sat 13-Mar-21 13:00:09
Print Post

Yes it looks like the speed change on FTTPoD was a reliable indicator, it switched over to WBC FTTP available overnight, so 48 hours after the FTTPoD speed updated to 1000/220.
I've just placed an order with Zen for their 900mbit (I am on Zen FTTC currently), won't get an install date until Monday though due to it being a weekend.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sat 13-Mar-21 13:56:50
Print Post

djb61

Drop Mr Saffron a PM / E-mail with some sample Post codes in so that he can find the new area and update the map.

Thanks
Standard User djb61
(newbie) Sat 13-Mar-21 14:47:29
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

E-mail sent.

It seems despite Zen saying I wouldn't get an install date until Monday that they were wrong, I got an e-mail a little earlier with an install date of 29th March so a pretty decent turnaround.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Sat 13-Mar-21 15:42:17
Print Post

Nice one! Not a bad install date either considering all the delays of late. Will likely be going with Zen myself, hopefully not much longer and I can post the same smile
Standard User jimbof
(regular) Sat 13-Mar-21 16:27:28
Print Post

Very quick turnaround. I ordered beginning of Feb and it's only going to be done at the beginning of May.
Standard User djb61
(newbie) Fri 19-Mar-21 17:08:09
Print Post

My install was down as a 1 stage install for the 29th but this afternoon I had an Openreach engineer call at the door. He said that as we were the first to order he had come out to run the feed from the chamber in advance and to double check everything was working right, light check on the fibre etc.
It seems despite the contractors coming back to resolve stuff after the last openreach check that everything still wasn't right. He didn't say what was wrong just that there was a problem in the chamber but he was here a couple of hours and I saw the cover was off the splitter trays when he was working in the chamber.
Apparently everything is sorted now and I have a coil of fibre outside where the duct comes up so fingers crossed the install should be nice and simple in a week or so.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Sat 20-Mar-21 14:04:44
Print Post

Nice! Getting very close for you now.

Still no change here as far as being able to order goes, however they have had people here this week rodding and roping all the ducts to the individual houses!

I guess to make life easier for the installs when the time comes, CBT's, Splitters all connected and now blue rope to every house! Cant be much longer surely smile
Standard User Riding_my_bike
(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 11:35:29
Print Post

My cul de sac (RH194TJ) had O.R. lay fibre back in Aug 2020 as I saw them lifting each cover along road and pulling through fibre. Unfortunatley 7 months later still only able to order FTTC .
I cycle around town frequently to try and keep fit and notice that O.R are busy doing work in most parts of the town and strangely those areas served by Telegraph pole which I saw them marking as Fibre enabled with yellow markers back in Dec 2020 are alreay able to order FTTP yet my estate and others in town when I look at BT Wholesale checker can not.

Is it easier to install Fibre in areas served via Tegraph poles rather than areas who have a duct from BT chamber to their premises?
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Mar-21 13:47:30
Print Post

[re: Riding_my_bike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Riding_my_bike:
Is it easier to install Fibre in areas served via Tegraph poles rather than areas who have a duct from BT chamber to their premises?

It can be, especially when the lead-in from the chamber to the premise is via direct-buried cable, rather than in a duct. Openreach have been known to install new poles in that situation.

Also, the fibre that you saw being pulled between chambers might not have been intended to serve the properties in that area. It might be a spine connection to serve another area, or even for a leased line (which is completely separate from the FTTP network).
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 13:52:24
Print Post

Is it unusual for night work on deployments?

I took the dog for a walk around 1900 yesterday and there was a guy working in the pitch black splicing fibre with just a head torch at one of the local aggregation nodes.

Imagine my surprise when I took the dog out again in the morning at 0630 to find him still there splicing away!

Glad to witness more progress, but cant imagine splicing in the dark over night is an easy job to be undertaking.
Standard User Riding_my_bike
(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 14:22:27
Print Post

Thanks for reply. They were doing the surrounding roads to the north and west on the same day all of which are cul de sac type roads so am hopeful it was to serve the local houses.
The whole town is part of the Fibre first delivery albeit I am sure its a huge undertaking to roll out.

It's just very noticeable how quicker the 1/3rd of the town served via poles is being rolled out and lit up via BT WHoleseale chekcer and the slower progress (less visable to be fair) for the other 2/3rd
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Mar-21 15:32:59
Print Post

Not at all unusual
Standard User RR_The_IT_Guy
(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 15:58:59
Print Post

Its definitely common I have seen them at midnight outside my house pulling fibre from the town centre in St Neots (Fibre First) past my house to a surrounding village.
Good news for those in the area I spoke to Clive Selley (Openreach CEO) he says that my end of the town is going to be finished before september 2022 so often when you see them do it once they often come back soon after.

I would be more concerned if i saw Virgin Media undertaking work at night as last time they did they disconnected everything and left it for three weeks and went off. when they came back they were like oh seems we forgot to re connect the cab feeds. You can imagine how my street reacted to hearing that statement

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User dect
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Mar-21 16:58:29
Print Post

[re: RR_The_IT_Guy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RR_The_IT_Guy:
I spoke to Clive Selley (CEO of openreach) Last week
Clive Selley (Openreach CEO) emailed me last week
Clive Selley thinks it will be here in September 2022
Clive Selley is my savour when he emailed back
I spoke to Clive Selley (Openreach CEO)
Wow, how is Clive? please send my regards next time you speak with him.
(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 17:22:10
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I only spoke to him once and it was in regards to the Fibre First St Neots Roll out for my area in particular, its not a regular thing so i don't feel i will be able to do that until there is a major issue that his team cannot resolve or unless there is a delay to find out why.

Sorry to let you down there I won't be able to help you however if you have any issues or the openreach team don't answer back please feel free to email him and he will either call or email you back but please don't do this unnecessarily people I feel like he's busy enough without an extra few hundred emails.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 24-Mar-21 17:38:05
Print Post

Given RR doesn't have any services with Openreach, the flurry of phone calls and emails within the week from Clive is an impressive achievement indeed!

Now how about that Mike Fries chap and that problematic VM service...perhaps a few tweets and calls wouldn't go astray 😎

My Broadband Speed Test
(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 17:59:10
Print Post

Yeah I tweeted more times than i can count and always get told many things that are completely unrealted.
also for the record a VM Man in a van turned up today at the Node and he told me he was checking it out for the fibre upgrade. Finally some good news. He then tells me 19-20Th next month for the actual fix date as he said its him doing the job.

I have quoted what i said elsewhere incase i missed anything.

Hi again
Just gone some good news, VM were just in my node and told me that they did not know of the problem however they are upgrading capacity and might be suppling the Gig1 service in my area if they are able to.

They told me it will be upgraded on the 19th and 20th 100% by that particular engineer. He said he did not know of an issue in the area however I can tell you what he said he was doing the problem should be fixed and will bring newer and quicker services for the future if they are doing a full upgrade.

Let's hope it helps with half the issue. then they might let me get an engineer to fix the other issue.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Whitehall11
(regular) Wed 24-Mar-21 21:20:43
Print Post

Interesting you got a call from the big man, i thought it was the exec complaints team who handle his email and he uses a different internal one.
Standard User branflakes
(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 21:28:35
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

Public figures almost ALWAYS have one public-facing email address, and another they actually use internally. Ministers are the same - one inbox firstname.lastname[at]department.gov.uk and then another which officials can send stuff to them for their offices to flag and put into a specific folder.

If Clive is getting back to RR then great, but I sense it may be the complaints team just using that mailbox. I've been a Minister before when covering in private office in my government department so... I doubt there was direct dialogue with him.

I like my internet how I like my breakfast cereal...

VM 1000/50.

Edited by branflakes (Wed 24-Mar-21 21:34:21)

(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 22:12:07
Print Post

I mean before i sent an email to him i did also email a few of my contacts all over the country some at samknows, ofcom, connecting cambridgeshire amongst others to also email Openreach asking for direct communication from the top as all the other teams there were unhelpful and were not answering questions so i feel like that was part of it.
That and the email i sent basically stated that my whole area were interested in full fibre without the added cost of a community fibre partnership as i stated how it was commercially viable for them to upgrade the area also stating that all the virgin media customers in my area want to go to FTTP with cityfibre or openreach so there is a clear interest there

My contact at openreach and the other who works in placement of phone masts told me they had a discussion up the chain lets say stating my points how how it was imperative that Openreach acted as they had already lost the majority of customers and that those left were going to go to virgin media when they upgraded the node and cabs as per the planned work later next month according to Virgin Man In a Van (a cityfibre customer as virgin is too slow and unreliable he says, the best thing i heard this month).
I feel like the chances it was Clive are quite high from calling a few favours from various people. I know the response was not the type of response openreach higher complaints usually do it seemed quite different and in some sense sounded more true, I have experienced the different complaints teams before and it really was not the default email that others i know have had so i'll leave it for you to decide but calling in these favours did get me in touch with a lot of high up people in the past so its very possible.

But again as i said down to you to decide I always contact my people first before any teams as i would usually get a better response however this was not the case in this.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 22:14:12
Print Post

[re: branflakes] [link to this post]

I'll let you read what i responded to the over post as it is directly related to this.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User PhilipSmith72
(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 22:57:46
Print Post

Have you got a friend called Max?
(newbie) Wed 24-Mar-21 23:47:45
Print Post

[re: PhilipSmith72] [link to this post]

I don't know anyone in telecoms called Max, I know a person called max however they are definitely not involved in anything related that I have discussed, they are more of an acquaintance.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Mar-21 17:56:42
Print Post

Seem like you are annoying him on behalf of everyone else.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk, upgraded to fibre 40/10
(learned) Thu 25-Mar-21 18:06:12
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Mar-21 13:12:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Whitehall11:
Interesting you got a call from the big man, i thought it was the exec complaints team who handle his email and he uses a different internal one.

He reads his own emails. He also replied to my email about an hour before the complaints team read it.

The exec complaints team filter his emails to deal with the stuff he shouldn't, but he often replies to complaints.

Phoning for a chat is another matter
(regular) Fri 26-Mar-21 18:08:03
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I never phoned I said i had a conversation.
I'm not sure why you assumed that.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 26-Mar-21 18:25:59
Print Post

I never phoned I said i had a conversation.
I'm not sure why you assumed that.

"I can tell you that I spoke to Clive Selley (CEO of openreach) Last week about FTTP and he told me about plans in my area stating that they would be operational around September 2022 For the St Neots area as part of of the Fibre First program."

So you spoke to Clive, you had a conversation but you never phoned.

Was it just a casual chat over the fence....socially distanced of course?

OK 😂👍😂

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Fri 26-Mar-21 18:27:16)

(regular) Fri 26-Mar-21 19:07:46
Print Post

I mean I say conversation because I use outlook desktop and that's how it words it so i try and be as correct as i can be. I mean i can see how it was implied but no I meant i spoke to him through email.

I mean a socially distanced chat would be nice but I can't see that happening that's mostly with the 14 Virgin Media engineers i have had this year already.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 26-Mar-21 19:22:25
Print Post

So you neither called or spoke to Clive. You simply emailed him. Fine. Let’s just call it a misunderstanding.

What’s your connection to Longsands College? Were / are you a student there?

My Broadband Speed Test
(regular) Fri 26-Mar-21 22:05:45
Print Post

So you neither called or spoke to Clive. You simply emailed him. Fine. Let’s just call it a misunderstanding.

Ok fair enough it happens.

What’s your connection to Longsands College? Were / are you a student there?

My connection is that I am a computer science student in astrea sixth form st neots who is the most known and basically called upon to find faults in their systems and give them the answers to how they could fix them as proved by a few months ago. I stated to them that if they did not act on what i said the network would be taken down and it would be a matter of time where the IT departments reaction was we know who will be the one to take us down then. A month later it happened so I was quite smug and the IT department were basically avoiding my questions and looking down awkwardly. When i asked whether they had fixed it or not and they knew it could not be me as I was not in that day but were like we are not at liberty to say.
I technically am not a student of longsands college as I am no longer part of that particular partition of the institution.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User dect
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Mar-21 22:13:35
Print Post

I am a computer science student in astrea sixth form
Purely out of interest, how old does that make you?
(regular) Fri 26-Mar-21 22:49:20
Print Post

I get you ask this purely out of interest however the fact that you already know this much is considerably more than i would usually allow especially when its a discussion on a forum that is available to all and I am quite particular about what information is public knowledge but to make you happy I will hint that it is over 17 and that's all i'm willing to say this publicly partly due to identity theft amongst other reasons.
I'm not saying this because of anyone here it's just my policy to be vague when it comes to personal information and not to include any identifiable images online or anything that could compromise my situation.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User dect
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Mar-21 22:59:03
Print Post

I will hint that it is over 17
Yeah not to far over that I am guessing, you're right not to disclose too much about yourself online thats sensible.

Edited by dect (Fri 26-Mar-21 22:59:36)

(regular) Fri 26-Mar-21 23:27:17
Print Post

One of the reasons I don't is because I know someone who had a visit from the police because of certain events lets say and I feel that's enough said.
I know the people who are in my contacts get an email and text at the start of every year. It explains a range of the latest security risks but mostly about how people can use their data in a variety of ways from making a copy of keys to a new house or looking through tags in facebook posts to see a house number and a street name separately in the shot or tagged.
The potential of seemingly unobvious clues and if they don't believe me and ask me to prove it to them, I simply say go to IMessage take a picture of the floor and send it to me and then send them a screenshot back of their location and that's when they go okay i should do something about this. 9 times out of 10 their locations are enabled which makes things easy for anyone to track. I know I spend a good portion of my time teaching people that there are logs on everything they do, even by asking them if i can borrow their phone to show them how to get the logs with GDPR regs, then showing them the disappearing messages they sent, are not so disappearing. That one is always fun.
I know one thing I was voted most likely to take over the world my response to that was keep on top of your cyber security and there is no reason anyone will be able to do that, you can imagine my response was slightly controversial however effective.
The majority of people no longer have shared locations with everybody and only select few I tend to be included as everyone knows i only do good unlike some of the hackers i know so clearly my message to over 500 People is getting through.
I know the people i have helped and shown so appreciation. This have meant they have never stopped thanking me, before they always wondered how people found out where they lived, no surprise there, they definitely appreciated my advice.
I know the people who want to know addresses and who want to know everything aren't happy but i feel like that might be a good thing most people don't want some dude stalking them.

I know I do my best to ensure that no information about me and the people i know gets out or if so that the damage is minimal and use right to be forgotten forms to ensure minimalistic results.

I feel you can tell from this that data security and cyber security is an area I have more knowledge in.

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Sat 27-Mar-21 08:39:17
Print Post

Please keep your posts relevant to the thread and not so much repetitive stuff about how wonderful you are.smile
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Sat 27-Mar-21 09:26:02
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
Please keep your posts relevant to the thread and not so much repetitive stuff about how wonderful you are.smile

That would be nice, every time I notice a new post on my thread I hope someone has some good news for me! haha smile
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 09:45:43
Print Post

I took the dog for a walk around 1900 yesterday and there was a guy working in the pitch black splicing fibre with just a head torch at one of the local aggregation nodes.

Imagine my surprise when I took the dog out again in the morning at 0630 to find him still there splicing away!

Glad to witness more progress, but cant imagine splicing in the dark over night is an easy job to be undertaking.

Sound like you’re in the home stretch. 👍

My Broadband Speed Test
(regular) Sat 27-Mar-21 11:00:32
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Ok will do

Many Thanks,
RR-THE-IT-GUY
My Broadband Ping
Standard User djb61
(newbie) Tue 30-Mar-21 12:14:37
Print Post

Just to close off my part of this thread. Openreach came and did the second part of the install yesterday, all connected and working now.
They fitted a Nokia ONT.

I did have a minor issue after connecting up my Google Nest Wifi router to the ONT and a speedtest showing 20mbit/7mbit like my old connection. The Nest router does an automated speed test every two days and it seems it uses this in order to then apply some QoS to connections, so because the last speedtest showed 20mbit it was throttling me to that. After running a new speedtest on the router (which came out as 891/90) it was happy and unthrottled me.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Mon 26-Apr-21 20:04:02
Print Post

So my build appears to be coming to a close, heard back from someone today on the planning team that they hope to have commissioning and testing done in the next few weeks all being well.

I now however may have another issue in that the 3rd party team testing property ducts couldn't seem to get their rods from my property, or the other 3 that share a duct back to the footway box today (circa 15m run according to the estate plans) Most other properties now have a blue rope tied up outside.

I assume this wont prevent an order, but may delay it when they come to do the 1st stage of the install? Would hate to be this close and then blocked from ordering because a 3rd party team couldn't get a rope in.

Thoughts?

Edited by kjwkjw (Mon 26-Apr-21 20:05:41)

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Apr-21 20:16:49
Print Post

Looks at what the BT wholesale checker says when it changes to "WBC FTTP" avaialble (if it hasn't already)

- 1 stage install
- 2 stage install
- KCI2 assure (= survey required)

Also the section labelled "Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises" lower in the page, e.g. you probably won't have "UG proven clear" if it's known to have a blockage.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Mon 26-Apr-21 20:58:36
Print Post

Looks at what the BT wholesale checker says when it changes to "WBC FTTP" avaialble (if it hasn't already)

- 1 stage install
- 2 stage install
- KCI2 assure (= survey required)

Also the section labelled "Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises" lower in the page, e.g. you probably won't have "UG proven clear" if it's known to have a blockage.

Thanks, that's what I hoped.. order still possible but with caveats.

To be honest the guys did not really try very hard, from what I saw it snagged after the first few meters and he took a picture and left. I guess they are paid by the job completed, and longer more difficult ones are not worth the time to spend time trying to get complete.

Hopefully the Openreach guys will have more luck come install time! Fingers crossed smile
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Mon 26-Apr-21 22:30:21
Print Post

hhhmmm think you have created a signifacant amout of disinformation in your assesments about your email (and that all they were) interesting you think you know more about openreach commercial business case that openreach does -- , so lots of virgin customer who get no choice want choice, virgin changes is commericial every says with virgin , openreach payback increases by 5 years - ,thats no commercial sense at all
Standard User kjwkjw
(learned) Tue 27-Apr-21 18:25:11
Print Post

Not sure what the post above is about?!

Anyways, to further update some nice guys (from OR this time) appeared this morning and I now have a blue rope!

Now I just need that checker to tick over to WBC FTTP smile

Edited by kjwkjw (Tue 27-Apr-21 18:25:46)

Standard User Grimers
(regular) Tue 27-Apr-21 21:52:46
Print Post

Ignore him, most of his posts make no sense... Anyway, hope it won't be too long! smile
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sat 01-May-21 17:45:38
Print Post

[re: Grimers] [link to this post]

Grimers

ignore me - interesting view of the world you carry on

lets hope you dont ever need my help then
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Sat 01-May-21 18:17:05
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

LOL! It's not just me!
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-May-21 18:17:32
Print Post

Re: FTTP - Signs of Install Starting! *DELETED*

Post deleted by witchunt
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-May-21 10:14:35
Print Post

Trouble is if you offered any help no one would know because the post they were talking about makes zero sense it's indecipherable, no offence but you need to reread it
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to