General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Darth_Jesus
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Oct-20 15:56:30
Print Post

FTTP - How is it connected to a new build?

[link to this post]

Hey all, today I discovered I can now get FTTP! I've gone ahead and ordered it like an excited kid at Xmas, but I'm curious as to how they connect it.

I live in a fairly new estate, the house was new build in 2016, so there's no poles up, all cabling will be underground. So, would it be reasonable to assume they will run the cable via the existing underground runs ? Also, I've heard different information about the wall boxes involved, will there be one on the outside and one internal, or just one internal?

Many thanks in advance!

P.S. Sorry for the embarrassingly daft username I forgot I had, I was a very active member many moons ago, the younger version of me clearly thought it was cool. The older version of me does not agree.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Oct-20 15:59:55
Print Post

Re: FTTP - How is it connected to a new build?

[re: Darth_Jesus] [link to this post]

If phone gets to you in underground duct now then that is what will be used again.

A grey box will be added on outside to terminate this fibre - where the existing phone line comes out of ground.

Then a smaller white ONT is installed indoors to which you connect your ISP router. ONT box needs power and connects via Ethernet to router.

The cable from indoors to outdoors can be a good few metres long so think about a good place to put it that is not too difficult.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Oct-20 16:05:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Darth_Jesus:
I live in a fairly new estate, the house was new build in 2016, so there's no poles up, all cabling will be underground. So, would it be reasonable to assume they will run the cable via the existing underground runs ?

Yes. Most likely there is a footway box in the pavement somewhere close to your property. Already installed in there will be a Connectorized Block Terminal (CBT) with 4 or more connectors. When your property is connected, a cable is pulled from here to your property, through the existing duct, and plugs into one of the available connectors.

In reply to a post by Darth_Jesus:
Also, I've heard different information about the wall boxes involved, will there be one on the outside and one internal, or just one internal?

The current approach involves a passive box on the outside, called a Customer Splice Point (CSP), and a powered box on the inside, called an Optical Network Termination (ONT). You'll also need a router, which is normally supplied by your service provider, and that plugs into the ONT via an RJ45 (ethernet) cable. Both boxes are powered, so you'll need at least two power sockets.

If your service includes fixed telephony, then that will be provided via a port on the router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Oct-20 16:09:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for explaining Andrew, much appreciated.

In which case it should be relatively easy job for them, as I think (I need to go outside and double check) the BT line comes up on the same wall I will want the other box internally situated. One hole to drill for them, less mess for us!

Thanks again.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Oct-20 16:14:34
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Thanks too Candlerb.

I'm now going to have a nose for said footway box too. Purely a curiosity thing. My ISP is Zen, and they've already sent out the router for delivery tomorrow (keen). They've advised there's a 4-6 week lead time on engineer installation though.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Oct-20 16:54:01
Print Post

Just to note not all areas are fully trained in the newer "inside out" install process used by OpenReach so you may not get a grey box installed on the outside of your house.

In my development all the installs are being done with a single fibre cable being pulled in the existing duct in to the back of the master socket.
No external CSP enclosure is installed on the front of the property.
  Print Thread

Jump to