General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Wed 07-Oct-20 09:59:13
Print Post

Re: Different BT Exchange for Telephone and FTTP?

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
If Mexborough is the Head-End exchange for the FTTP only properties on your exchange then that is your Head-End.

Don't worry about rivers, OpenReach have already have a route in place. You're overthinking it.

You have FTTC.
Your FTTC DSLAM already runs back to Mexborough.
It runs to the Head-End exchange, not your local copper exchange.
There's also historic links between exchanges.

Your FTTC cabinet is served by an Aggregation Node. This usually serves 3 or 4 FTTC cabinets and is usually next to 1 of these cabinets or somewhere in-between.
Your FTTP from OpenReach will come from this Aggregation Node, it's already in place.
Your FTTP rollout is that far already. It's the final bit that needs planned and rolled out.
Rivers aren't an issue.

Cheers John, I think in my sleep deprived state last night, i must have engaged fingers without the brain. In the light of day not sure what I was taking about, as I know where the agg node is around here, so no idea why I thought the distance from exchanges made any difference. I can only think my looney brain was thinking about new fibre if they needed to pull, but like you say, not needed.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Wed 07-Oct-20 10:35:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The head end (where the fibres from the various splitter nodes terminate) does not have to be fed from the local exchange where dial tone originates.

Zarjaz, with your insider knowledge, do you know how many fibre cores are typically brought into an aggregation node?

Is there a ‘standard’ or is it done on a case by case, or area by are basis? Do they use blown fibre / micro ducts in this part of the network or is it ordinary fibre cable?
Standard User shortshrift27
(newbie) Wed 07-Oct-20 10:58:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Which are the head-end exchanges?

I have an FTTPoD order underway. My local exchange is Ballachulish (NSBCS). Yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to find my CBT finally going up. Chatting to the friendly Openreach guy, he said the order was progressing and traffic lights had been booked for work at the Onich (NSONI) exchange (yup: https://one.network/?118942535).

The Onich exchange is a fair bit further from me than Ballachulish, and it is likewise a small rural exchange. Maybe it’s the local head end, or perhaps there's some other network equipment that has to go in? Merely idle curiosity. smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Oct-20 11:03:28
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

do you know how many fibre cores are typically brought into an aggregation node?

Is there a ‘standard’ or is it done on a case by case, or area by are basis? Do they use blown fibre / micro ducts in this part of the network or is it ordinary fibre cable?

No idea. Sorry.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Oct-20 11:13:33
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
Recently Openreach have been installing Fibre in CH5 3EZ where Hawarden (WNHAW) is the exchange for their telephone numbers. However the nearest exchange listed for Fibre is the Connah's Quay (WNDEE) exchange which is actually located in Shotton - has been since manual switchboard days.

I am obviously hoping that FTTP will come soon to CH5 3HS where I live, but looking at the Openreach map on their website, Hawarden seems to be missed out, except for where I am seeing yellow fibre notices on the DPs. confused

Confused of Hawarden!
It can be true of FTTC as well. I believe that my exchange - Brackley - only provides voice and ADSL. FTTC comes from Banbury, just up the road.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Wed 07-Oct-20 11:18:51
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
It can be true of FTTC as well. I believe that my exchange - Brackley - only provides voice and ADSL. FTTC comes from Banbury, just up the road.

Indeed it is almost universally true, given that FTTC cabs and FTTP are all fed from the exact same fibre network, with the same headend exchange.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 07-Oct-20 12:00:15
Print Post

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

shortshrift27

Unless they are both small enough to only require one of the new subtended headends between the two of them the head end will be some way away. Could be 40-60 miles in theory but in most of the UK will be much closer.

Yours is likely to be Fort William

The Roadworks are likely to e for some fibre work outside the Onich exchange as the fibre will not enter the building to enable future closure of the building. Would make a good Garden shed or Garage if it hasn't rotted away by then. .
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 07-Oct-20 12:04:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

RobertoS

1500 of them are usually too small or too rural to be thought of as brown field building sites. Ask your wife about B1 buildings.
Standard User shortshrift27
(newbie) Wed 07-Oct-20 12:30:45
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

@kitcat Interesting, appreciated. And yes, given that the fibre from my house is clearly routed in the Fort William direction, I expect you're right.

In reply to a post by kitcat:
... as the fibre will not enter the building to enable future closure of the building. Would make a good Garden shed or Garage if it hasn't rotted away by then.

smile Ah, I had wondered why the node wasn't in the exchange. Seemed odd to have to stop traffic on the A82 to work on it. But that makes perfect sense.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to