General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User farrinaf
(newbie) Thu 08-Oct-20 11:24:28
Print Post

Migrating land line to VOIP

[link to this post]

My PlusNet contract is due up for renewal in January 2021.

I have been with them for a number of years and have a very reliable FTTC connection (synchronising at 80/20 ever since installation) More recently FTTP is now available in my area.

Currently I pay £10 pm for internet, circ £20 line rental and £5 for Evening/weekend calls so approximately £35 pm

I see that BT/PlusNet have recently announced their intention to raise prices by 3.9% + CPI

PlusNet do not offer any form of FTTP

I am therefore seriously considering moving to Zen where I can obtain a 100/20 FTTP connection for £39 with a guarantee of no price rises post contract expiry (remains to be seen how firm this will turn out!)

Going forward I would like to retain my "old" PlusNet landline number but as I have unlimited calls via my mobile provider this would be for incoming calls only. My plan would be to migrate my PlusNet number to a VOIP provider.

By way of a test I currently have a VOIP number running via AAISP (line rental £1.20pm) so this might be a possible solution. However I am unclear of the implications if I needed to transfer out from AAISP to another VOIP provider.

Does anyone have any experience of migrating a land line number to VOIP - would I need to have two simultaneous broadband connections running (aka FTTC/FTTP) until migration finished and then cease the FTTC (presumably this would incur a termination fee)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Oct-20 11:29:10
Print Post

Re: Migrating land line to VOIP

[re: farrinaf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by farrinaf:
Does anyone have any experience of migrating a land line number to VOIP - would I need to have two simultaneous broadband connections running (aka FTTC/FTTP) until migration finished and then cease the FTTC (presumably this would incur a termination fee)
I transferred my land line number to AAISP VoIP, and this ceased (cancelled) my Plusnet phone and FTTC service.

So if you want to move the existing number this is going to be very difficult. You may want to talk to your chosen new ISP as you may need to port out, cancel existing, and then have a whole new install. With all the set up fees.

In theory you need a "renumber and export" but I think only AAISP can do this if you are on their broadband. You might need to migrate to AAISP, do this transfer, then migrate to your chosen ISP??

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User kommando
(regular) Thu 08-Oct-20 11:35:36
Print Post

I got my 4G broadband working reliably on Sipgate basic with the number they supplied me, I then ported my BT number over to them which ceased the ADSL and the phoneline. This has also worked well, loaded the sipgate account with £10 credit and now down to £9.80. Much more control, get emails of all incoming calls, a block list and a email with voicemail link attached. Also the number of spam calls reduced significantly, raising the suspicion that BT's database is open to abuse as I had been ex directory for decades but still got spam calls.

Some ISP's can get your old BT number ported but the broadband stays live.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User APTMAN
(member) Thu 08-Oct-20 11:37:36
Print Post

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/voip.html
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 11:47:02
Print Post

I am therefore seriously considering moving to Zen where I can obtain a 100/20 FTTP connection for £39 with a guarantee of no price rises post contract expiry (remains to be seen how firm this will turn out!)

Why not go with BT and get 160/30 on FTTP for only £30/m which includes a voice service? Far cheaper and simpler solution, assuming you’re ok with potentially using BTs Digital Voice service for incoming calls.
https://www.bt.com/campaign/full-fibre-240

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Thu 08-Oct-20 11:58:28
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

I followed the same route - got sipgate working (over a 4G connection), then ported my landline number from Plusnet ADSL (terminating both the ADSL and land-line). Still get incoming calls on my old number, but use mobile for outgoing calls - no more line rental charges smile
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 08-Oct-20 12:42:21
Print Post

My PlusNet contract is due up for renewal in January 2021.

I have been with them for a number of years and have a very reliable FTTC connection (synchronising at 80/20 ever since installation) More recently FTTP is now available in my area.

Currently I pay £10 pm for internet, circ £20 line rental and £5 for Evening/weekend calls so approximately £35 pm

I see that BT/PlusNet have recently announced their intention to raise prices by 3.9% + CPI

PlusNet do not offer any form of FTTP

Going forward I would like to retain my "old" PlusNet landline number but as I have unlimited calls via my mobile provider this would be for incoming calls only. My plan would be to migrate my PlusNet number to a VOIP provider.

By way of a test I currently have a VOIP number running via AAISP (line rental £1.20pm) so this might be a possible solution. However I am unclear of the implications if I needed to transfer out from AAISP to another VOIP provider.

I would recommend posting a link to this post in the VoIP area of the forum as you are likely to get more responses. Don't repost the same message as that's cross-posting.

CJT.

On BT Broadband up to 80 Mbps...

But NOT for much longer!

Previously on NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User kommando
(regular) Thu 08-Oct-20 14:13:21
Print Post

Re: Migrating land line to VOIP *DELETED*

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Post deleted by kommando
Standard User kommando
(regular) Thu 08-Oct-20 14:16:05
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:

Why not go with BT and get 160/30 on FTTP for only £30/m which includes a voice service? Far cheaper and simpler solution, assuming you’re ok with potentially using BTs Digital Voice service for incoming calls.

Linking your email to your ISP gave them leverage over you, keeping VOIP with your ISP gives them the same potential. I keep my email and VOIP away from my ISP.
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 16:00:51
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kommando:
In reply to a post by Highland76:

Linking your email to your ISP gave them leverage over you, keeping VOIP with your ISP gives them the same potential. I keep my email and VOIP away from my ISP.

What "leverage" would that be?

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to