General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 02:13:03
Print Post

FTTP: Is ONT supplied by ISP (Openreach)?

[link to this post]

When ordering FTTP/H is the ONT supplied by the ISP (via OR) or is it expected to be already there, like at a new-build?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 10-Oct-20 02:59:37
Print Post

Re: FTTP: Is ONT supplied by ISP (Openreach)?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Installed by Openreach when your ISP places your order for the service.

Little grey box on the outside wall, feeding the ONT inside. AIUI you have a bit of choice as to the location. Remember it needs to be near a power socket.

I'm not sure it is installed at all new builds. The outside one is, if the builder has ordered the infrastructure and put in the ducting and pull cords etc.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sat 10-Oct-20 03:18:24
Print Post

As Bob said, the ONT is supplied and installed by Openreach. They will only supply and install it on an FTTP customer order via their comms provider. However once it’s installed, it stays (or should) with the building.

As the ONT remains Openreach kit, part of their network technically and legally, they are responsible for its maintenance and performance. The end customer has some (limited) say, on install, where the ONT is located internally, and has responsibility in providing power for it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 03:49:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

EE have started to supply FTTP, called their Full Fibre Max, but are claiming that it is currently only available to customers with a working Optical Network Terminal (ONT) in their property. What do you think of that?

Deoesn't it mean you can only have FTTP if you have already have had FTTP from some other ISP & that you can't have FTTP even if FTTP is available at your location if you are currently with EE on ADSL, FTTC or G.Fast?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Oct-20 04:08:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Little grey box on the outside wall, feeding the ONT inside. AIUI you have a bit of choice as to the location. Remember it needs to be near a power socket.

You can also choose what colour CSP Box to use out of the range that have in the van.
One of my neighbours has a brown one installed to match his brick work.

Paul

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 06:02:36
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

You can also choose what colour CSP Box to use out of the range that have in the van.
One of my neighbours has a brown one installed to match his brick work.

Paul

Not any more Paul ..... you need to remember your install was quite some while ago.
The new CSP boxes are grey, grey, or grey.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 06:06:46
Print Post

That sounds like they are only offering to new build estates where all the kit is installed as the property is being built. OR Have a previous service with a different supplier.

As to why - pass. Why limit which customers you might offer service to. Weird.

ISP Representative aquiss
(isp) Sat 10-Oct-20 08:50:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
EE have started to supply FTTP, called their Full Fibre Max, but are claiming that it is currently only available to customers with a working Optical Network Terminal (ONT) in their property. What do you think of that?

Cost I'd imagine. It's much cheaper to do a Port Restart than a New Install. If they are building their packages around a certain price point then maybe Port Restarts/Transfers are the only way to make it all add up for them.

Martin Pitt
Company Founder
Aquiss Limited
https://www.aquiss.net

FTTC, FTTP, GEA, EFM, Leased Lines, Telecoms and Hosting
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Oct-20 09:58:44
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

Probably not price but

1. ONT being present limits volume, so useful as scaling up training of teams to handle the orders
2. EE FTTP is no landline service, so avoiding the pitfalls of people losing voice and not realising they would
3. Being a bit different to BT Consumer as a way to test the premise that people don't want landlines and do all voice stuff over their mobile, and EE is primarily seen as a mobile company

Importantly nothing has been communicated officially to say this is the case.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sat 10-Oct-20 10:03:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Deoesn't it mean you can only have FTTP if you have already have had FTTP from some other ISP & that you can't have FTTP even if FTTP is available at your location if you are currently with EE on ADSL, FTTC or G.Fast?

Looks that way. I put in my details on their checker and it said,
“... For fibre broadband, a working port has been identified. Please note the port will be taken over by us.”

Then tried my neighbours place, served by the same CBT, who have FTTP available to order, but not connected and the only offers from EE were for “Fibre” (FTTC) or “ Standard Broadband with landline” (ADSL2)

Edit - to add that I only have a single port ONT. Other folks may have the older 4 port ONT, with one or more ports already in use with (an)other FTTP provider(s). In such a situation, the ‘spare’ ports on the ONT could be available for EE (or indeed any other willing provider) to activate their FTTP service, whilst of course keeping the other existing service(s) on the ONT active.

Edited by Pheasant (Sat 10-Oct-20 15:22:55)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to