General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bemak187
(newbie) Sat 10-Oct-20 20:07:18
Print Post

FTTP order and land line VOIP number port

[link to this post]

Looking for some guidance. Bit of an FTTP and VOIP question. Currently with Sky on FTTC/VDSL service. Also have phone with them but it is SOGEA (ie provided via Sky's VOIP solution and phone connects into back of Sky hub, similar idea to BT's digital voice). Looking to move to FTTP which is now available. Sky haven't fully launched FTTP yet and after numerous calls can't order it for me and have no idea when they can. Looking at moving to someone who can. What I am trying to find out is:

If I order a data only FTTP service from another provider will this run along side my current Sky FTTC. In other words its a totally separate service. I think this is the case but just wanted to check.

Second I don't want to lose my land line number and was going to port it to a separate VOIP provider of my choice. I wanted to get the FTTP set up first to make sure all is ok then port the number in theory ceasing and cancelling the Sky broadband and phone service. However is the the fact I am using Sky's VOIP solution/SOGEA at the moment going to cause issues with such a port and mean a risk of losing my number? I am not really clear on if there are established paths to get your number off of these ISP provided VOIP services.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Oct-20 21:16:02
Print Post

Re: FTTP order and land line VOIP number port

[re: bemak187] [link to this post]

A data only FTTP will run alongside your existing FTTC.
In other words it won't affect it.

Porting your Sky VOIP number away will likely cease the entire service.
Although it's SOGEA it's a bundled service. They don't do FTTC without a voice service.

The worst that could happen is your number would port out but Sky would keep the FTTC active.
A quick call to cancel would sort that.

With BT's Digital Voice on FTTC (SOGEA) if you port out the VOIP number it ceases the SOGEA too.
Standard User bemak187
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-20 17:25:11
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Ideal, thanks for the info John.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BTSKY
(newbie) Sat 07-Nov-20 08:29:02
Print Post

[re: bemak187] [link to this post]

I have just joined this forum as I have a current problem and am trying to find the answer. I am replying to this as my problem is I had FTTP with BT and have gone to SOGEA with Sky. I say gone but have at the present time got no Incoming calls on my Sky Voip as BT rejected Sky’s porting request. The Voip is stil on the BT hub.
So a warning that this is a nightmare because whereas openreach sorted out any problems at all between Providers. they don’t with Digital Voice. They are not involved at all. The problem is if anything goes wrong ( which it has done) neither provider will talk to each other to sort it out and they both demand the customer sorts it all.
I have spent 2 weeks on the phone to BT and Sky and it is still not sorted out
I have the BT CEO involved and the final word on this is you sort it out with Sky
Best of luck and if anyone has had the same problem could they help please
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Nov-20 09:26:50
Print Post

[re: BTSKY] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BTSKY:
I had FTTP with BT and have gone to SOGEA with Sky.
Isn't SOGEA only available on copper not full fibre?
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Nov-20 09:29:07
Print Post

[re: BTSKY] [link to this post]

the final word on this is you sort it out with Sky

That is correct, and therefore you could threaten Sky with the OFCOM stick. The migration process is gaining-provider led: that is, it's up to your new provider (Sky) to sort out the transfer with your old provider (BT). They cannot wash their hands of it.

I'd also say that your experience shows a good reason *not* to port your number from ISP to ISP, but to port it once to a standalone VOIP provider and then leave it there forever. As demand for "landline" voice services becomes less and less, so the business focus on these (and the processes around them) will become less and less.

Therefore, if your BT service is still up and running, I'd say this is a good opportunity for you to do this once and for all - that is, migrate the number to Sipgate or AAISP or whatever. I'd suggest AAISP as they are very handy with the clue bats. If this succeeds, it will automatically cease the BT service. (Aside: AAISP can optionally use the "renumber and port out" process which will take over the number only, forcing the BT line to a new number but leaving it running).

You'll want to buy a SIP phone or a SIP ATA, although in the interim you can use a soft SIP phone application.
  Print Thread

Jump to