General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User skinnersplace
(newbie) Fri 16-Oct-20 11:06:45
Print Post

VDSL2 Quality graph interpretation for long line latency

[link to this post]

I have a 40/10 VDSL2 line (Nowtv) wich I have connected via a HG612 modem, to a Ubiquity Edgerouter-x. configured to run Cake for QOS.

Performance is good, my internet is stable with reasonable speeds and grade A/A+ for buffer bloat (depending on load). All tests are run via wired connection.

Monitoring my latency graphs, I see the following for a quiet day: Normal

And this id steaming 4K: Heavy Streaming

The graphs are pretty good, with low latency, but the blue areas does expand under the heavy downloads.

My Modem starts are :
Stats recorded 16 Oct 2020 10:34:12

DSLAM type / SW version: BDCM:0xa4a1 (164.161) / v0xa4a1
Modem/router firmware: AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode: VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime: 57 days 18 hours 32 min 40 sec
Resyncs: 0 (since 01 Oct 2020 15:56:10)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 21.6 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not monitored
Connection speed (kbps): 39999 6814
SNR margin (dB): 8.9 7.3
Power (dBm): 12.2 2.3
Interleave depth: 16 1
INP: 48.00 0
G.INP: Enabled Not enabled
Vectoring status: 5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)

RSCorr/RS (%): 0.0443 1.7384
RSUnCorr/RS (%): 0.0000 0.0000
ES/hour: 0 1.42

SNR was 8.7 / 5.9 in August, I think the increase might be due to the seasnoal change?

My sppeds are limited by my QOS and set at (64/65)*Connection speed for Upload and 85% of (64/65)*Connection speed for download.

I am connected with an ECI modem to connected to a huawei cab approximate 1,877m from the exchange.

I guess I am looking to understand the performace of my grapshs, and wheather the latency changes are due to a limitation of my hard ware, the length of my line or local congestion ?

I understand the at congestion and distance can affect the graphs and am happy to acept that as an answer, I just want ot make sure it is not anything under my controll and that what I am seeing is normal.

Kind Regards

Skinner
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 16-Oct-20 11:29:34
Print Post

Re: VDSL2 Quality graph interpretation for long line latency

[re: skinnersplace] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by skinnersplace:
Monitoring my latency graphs, I see the following for a quiet day: Normal

And this id steaming 4K: Heavy Streaming
You've got a good connection... I suspect there are quite a few here who would kill for BQMs like those laugh
The graphs are pretty good, with low latency, but the blue areas does expand under the heavy downloads.
That's to be expected- when the router is under heavy load (ie busy) it will take its time responding to some of the incoming ping packets, hence increasing the peak latency (the yellow). You can't increase the peak without increasing the average (the blue). A router with a faster processor might improve the BQM, but it wouldn't make any significant difference to the real-life performance.

You've got zero to worry about.

Bill
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Oct-20 12:06:09
Print Post

Routers consider ICMP packets to be very low priority which is sensible because they only carry diagnostic information. It is inevitable that responses to pings will be delayed while the router is busy dealing with more important stuff (your data). If the router is exceptionally busy doing real work ICMP packets will just be dropped.

Everything about your connection looks excellent (accepting xDSL distance limitations). Your router is doing what it should.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Fri 16-Oct-20 12:06:11
Print Post

You've got nothing to worry about. You would only need to be concerned if you saw lots of red spikes/blobs (packet loss), as is the case with some Virgin connections.

This is mine for comparison

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
(newbie) Fri 16-Oct-20 12:22:31
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Thanks Highland76, it was a VIrgin connection that casued me to that cased me to change my kit and supplier and start chasing doen this rabit whole inthe first place!
(newbie) Fri 16-Oct-20 12:25:43
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Thansk for the validation Andrue, Its good to get my suspicions conformed, a more powerfull router was on my mind, but it is an expesive test for what is a fairly low speed line
(newbie) Fri 16-Oct-20 13:37:35
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks for the conformation bill, its good to know its not the line or local congestion
(newbie) Fri 16-Oct-20 13:54:19
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I do have an ICMP limit in my router setup

rule 62 {
action drop
description "ICMP limit"
destination {
group {
address-group ADDRv4_eth0
}
}
log disable
protocol icmp
recent {
count 20
time 1
}
source {
group {
}
}
state {
established disable
invalid disable
new enable
related disable
}

But I think that should only prevent floods of more thatn 20 pings per second from new connections ?

Could that have anything to do with it ?
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 16-Oct-20 14:15:58
Print Post

But I think that should only prevent floods of more thatn 20 pings per second from new connections ?

Could that have anything to do with it ?
Hmm... your knowledge of setting up a router clearly exceeds mine by a very substantial margin ooo

But I'd say "No"- tbb only pings your router at one second intervals, and I can't think of any plausible way in which 20 seconds worth of transmitted pings would all arrive at your end in under a second!

Bill
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Oct-20 18:02:15
Print Post

You're using semi-pro hardware, which reminds me of 5/6 years ago configuring JunOS routers on a customer "high speed serial" link (which was 2 Mbps!)

If you get more than 20pings per second, I would suspect you are being DDoS'd, and at that point you phone the ISP. Even a maxed out FTTC line, or a gigabit FTTP or VirginMedia connection is going to buckle. The ISP NOC will almost certainly have already noticed and started their defences.

Depends on the ISP, if they would bother to tell you. AAISP would almost certainly, the big providers (VM, BT, Plusnet, TalkTalk) almost certainly would not.

I don't even worry about that sort of thing at home. I'm running higher end consumer hardware, rather than the small business grade you have, as I've had enough doing work at home smile smile

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to