General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User carl0s
(newbie) Sat 17-Oct-20 11:26:07
Print Post

Cerb FTTPoD first year monthly pricing. any better options?

[link to this post]

Hi.
Moving house next week. Expect to see 25 - 30mbps VDSL.
FTTPoD desktop quote come back at £25,900, 13 premises passed. Some of them will be wealthy people.. few big pads on that road.
In due course, I might consider getting in touch with people and seeing if they want to go together on it.
It's rural, so small govt voucher still available, more so if done through my IT support business possibly.

I suppose if it happened, I would need a solicitor to collect and store people's money in escrow or something and prevent people pulling out after the order is placed leaving me footing the whole bill and them still getting the benefit of FTTP availability.

One thing I'm not sure of though, is, as you will all know, Cerberus put you on 330/30 for £100 + vat (£120) per month for the first 12 months, but all of those other premises-passed could just sign up to Talktalk 500Mbps for £40 + vat once the build has been done for me. That sort of sucks a bit for me...

Are there any better options available? Providers who don't want £100+vat per month for the first year?

Edited by carl0s (Sat 17-Oct-20 11:34:50)

Standard User brookheather
(member) Sat 17-Oct-20 12:10:44
Print Post

Re: Cerb FTTPoD first year monthly pricing. any better optio

[re: carl0s] [link to this post]

Cerberus or one of their resellers is your only option - they do now have a range of prices available:

40/2Mbps FoD Basic: £38.00 Monthly**
115/20Mbps FoD Plus: £75.00 Monthly**
300/30Mbps FoD Pro: £90.00 Monthly**
450/75Mbps FoD XL2: £115.00 Monthly**
900/115Mbps FoD Ultra2: £145.00 Monthly**

Yes you will be paying more than your neighbours for the first 12 months but if they contribute to the project cost then don't worry about it. I paid the whole cost for my FTTPoD installation and 3 of the other 6 neighbours have now taken up the service - I don't begrudge them paying less than me.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD
Standard User carl0s
(newbie) Sat 17-Oct-20 12:13:15
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brookheather:
Cerberus or one of their resellers is your only option - they do now have a range of prices available:

40/2Mbps FoD Basic: £38.00 Monthly**
115/20Mbps FoD Plus: £75.00 Monthly**
300/30Mbps FoD Pro: £90.00 Monthly**
450/75Mbps FoD XL2: £115.00 Monthly**
900/115Mbps FoD Ultra2: £145.00 Monthly**

Yes you will be paying more than your neighbours for the first 12 months but if they contribute to the project cost then don't worry about it. I paid the whole cost for my FTTPoD installation and 3 of the other 6 neighbours have now taken up the service - I don't begrudge them paying less than me.

So it doesn't have to be 330/30 for the first 12 months? I could start off at 115/20 for £75+vat per month for the first 12 months? TBH they need a 80/20 in there for £60 + vat.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Oct-20 14:04:43
Print Post

[re: carl0s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by carl0s:
So it doesn't have to be 330/30 for the first 12 months? I could start off at 115/20 for £75+vat per month for the first 12 months?

That's correct, the extra tiers were recently introduced. At the same time they reduced 300/30 from £100 to £90.

TBH they need a 80/20 in there for £60 + vat.

If you cross-reference to the standard FTTP price list, you'll find all the FTTPoD tiers are £35+VAT higher. In effect you're paying a flat fee of £420+VAT to Cerberus for managing the FTTPoD process, spread over 12 monthly installments. Speaking as someone whose FTTPoD journey took more than 17 months, I think they earned it smile

Using this formula, if they offered 80/20 it would cost £72+VAT. So you might as well take the 115/20, with a nice speed boost for almost the same price.

I think that 150/30 would have been a desirable level to offer - perhaps they don't because it would dissuade some people from taking 300/30. I don't know why they can't do 300/50 for FTTPoD; Openreach offer it, but maybe BT wholesale don't. Perhaps it is to encourage power users to go for 450/70 instead.

Note about the 40/2 FoD Basic: it comes with a 24 month contract. The others are 12 months.
Standard User carl0s
(newbie) Sat 17-Oct-20 17:34:51
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
So it doesn't have to be 330/30 for the first 12 months? I could start off at 115/20 for £75+vat per month for the first 12 months?

That's correct, the extra tiers were recently introduced. At the same time they reduced 300/30 from £100 to £90.

TBH they need a 80/20 in there for £60 + vat.

If you cross-reference to the standard FTTP price list, you'll find all the FTTPoD tiers are £35+VAT higher. In effect you're paying a flat fee of £420+VAT to Cerberus for managing the FTTPoD process, spread over 12 monthly installments. Speaking as someone whose FTTPoD journey took more than 17 months, I think they earned it smile

Using this formula, if they offered 80/20 it would cost £72+VAT. So you might as well take the 115/20, with a nice speed boost for almost the same price.

I think that 150/30 would have been a desirable level to offer - perhaps they don't because it would dissuade some people from taking 300/30. I don't know why they can't do 300/50 for FTTPoD; Openreach offer it, but maybe BT wholesale don't. Perhaps it is to encourage power users to go for 450/70 instead.

Note about the 40/2 FoD Basic: it comes with a 24 month contract. The others are 12 months.

Good info, thanks, and yes I agree it's a fair fee for taking on the job. Would be nice if it could be split on a shared order or something mind you.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 18-Oct-20 18:41:10
Print Post

“ In effect you're paying a flat fee of £420+VAT to Cerberus for managing the FTTPoD process, spread over 12 monthly installments.”

Recall there was someone recently claiming they were being charged an upfront connection charge by Cerberus, that was something similar to the amount noted above.

Don’t know if that’s a new thing, it certainly wasn’t when I had mine agreed back in 2018.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Oct-20 21:58:57
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
Recall there was someone recently claiming they were being charged an upfront connection charge by Cerberus, that was something similar to the amount noted above.

Don’t know if that’s a new thing, it certainly wasn’t when I had mine agreed back in 2018.

I think this is the post you mean:
https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4658128-re...

That was for six linked orders, and included 6 x £500 "Cerberus commissioning charge". In that post there was no indication given that there would be a corresponding reduction in the monthly service charge.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 18-Oct-20 22:14:47
Print Post

That's the one. Yes most certainly no reduction in the monthly charge. Those connection charges (BT and Cerberus) per property of £995 were a bit of a surprise. Maybe its a (new?) linked order thing. Suffice to say they didn't proceed in any event.
Standard User Nick_W789
(regular) Sun 18-Oct-20 23:24:21
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Yes - that was me and we didn't go ahead. This £500 Cerberus commissioning charge is a bit of a mystery as it doesn't appear on any of their published price lists and nobody else has seen it. But the BT £495 isn't published either.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Oct-20 23:27:38
Print Post

[re: Nick_W789] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nick_W789:
Yes - that was me and we didn't go ahead. This £500 Cerberus commissioning charge is a bit of a mystery as it doesn't appear on any of their published price lists and nobody else has seen it. But the BT £495 isn't published either.
Did you ask Cerberus for more info about it and explain that you are in contact will other Cerberus customers who were never charged that Cerberus commissioning fee.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to