General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slimj
(committed) Mon 16-Nov-20 11:36:21
Print Post

Re: CFP intial estimate received

[re: tikka69] [link to this post]

An update from my side. Expanded from 10 addresses to 58 covering some of the local village (assume this is where the cables will run from). Costs are showing as £45k which is viable.

With enough interest in our little hamlet (5 addresses so far), the costs should be covered with the £7,000 grants + whatever other interest we can get from the local village with the £1,500 per residential property and £3,500 per business property (unfortunately they will be a harder sell as most addresses can get 40-60Mbps+ already).

Just awaiting clarification on a few points and that the following...

"Your project qualifies for a newer approach we are taking, which means less work for you as a community lead and there will be no contract to sign"

...was stated in the email which leads me to believe there is no commitment required.
Standard User Dean83
(learned) Mon 16-Nov-20 12:20:05
Print Post

Hi tikka69,

i used to live on hawthorn road, which for some reason has about 8 properties that were enabled for FTTP in the SFSY roll out a few years ago , even though they were a stones throw from the cab and could get full 80/20. my property at that time was not one of these 8.

I submitted a CFP enquiry for the rest of the street back in 2018 as i was curious ( about 40 ish houses ) and the quote at that time came back at £156,000! when i mentioned to them that some of the street already had FTTP this price dropped to £56,000.

i was wondering - which streets 'near the airport' have been omitted - is it the persimmon estate near the railway crossing ?

im now on the new estate near the airport, which in phase 2 of the development was all FTTP only, and most of phase 1 has now had FTTP enabled bar a few properties.
Standard User tikka69
(member) Mon 16-Nov-20 12:37:23
Print Post

[re: Dean83] [link to this post]

Hi Dean

Are these the new properties at the end of Hawthorne Road that were built that have it ?

I have seen from the TBB maps it showing there and also on the new houses nearer the lights ( Lancater Court I think its called ).

I had assumed that as these builds were more than a certain number BT had to go straight to fibre.

When I have been in contact with BT OR about this the original estimate came back at 200k for my street and another as we were going to keep it small originally. The closest FTTP to where I live are the few houses on Gatewood Lane that were also put onto FTTP for some reason, I presumed they were maybe EO lines and had no DSLAM to go back to.

Anyway, we are now looking at a revised quote which will include all of the "old" village side, i.e all this side of the the railway lines. The only reason I have done this is as this is now at over 700 premises and I suspect if I had included the rest of the houses the other side of the railway line we would be over a 1000, which I think would just be too much for one person to take on.

Once I get the quote back for this and see if its feasible I will quite happily work with someone from that side of the village if they want to add it on. Do be honest there is also a chance BT might include the lot in when the quote comes back too so it might end up being included.

As a lot of the village is pole fed I am hoping this will bring the cost per premise down and offset some of the higher cost areas that will require dig/trunking work.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tikka69
(member) Mon 16-Nov-20 12:39:45
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Hi

It sounds like your CFP is going to be picked up by OR as a demand led scheme where they pick up the risk here and you dont need to setup a company entity to deal with them.

They will also lead the marketing side ( leaflets, etc ) and they setup a website so people can submit there vouchers directly to OR and have a display of the numbers required to hit the target, etc

Takes all the pain away for you !!

smile
Standard User Dean83
(learned) Mon 16-Nov-20 22:27:20
Print Post

Hi,

The new properties were built well before the fibre role out . The fttp that was fitted served 3 of these 14 new houses , and then some of the existing older raf houses on hawthorn road - despite being served by the fttc cabinet .

I assume it’s because they took the fibre up the pole to span it across the road to serve some other properties on a different cabinet .

Lancaster court is about 8 houses, connected to a cabinet that primarily served business properties so fttp was preferred by SFSY .

The other set of RAF houses ( which were fed via the fibre from the hawthorn road pole ) were served by a cabinet that sits on the airport land . I believe a wayleave for a fttc cabinet was not approved , as the airport industrial estate have their own private fibre network And they didn’t want to approve some competition on their land .

Edited by Dean83 (Mon 16-Nov-20 22:47:40)

Standard User Dean83
(learned) Mon 16-Nov-20 22:28:03
Print Post

Best of luck with your campaign - sounds like you have done a great job . Fingers crossed
Standard User tikka69
(member) Tue 17-Nov-20 11:50:50
Print Post

[re: Dean83] [link to this post]

Thanks Dean,its going to be a long slog but hopefully with a good tail wind we might get somewhere !!
Standard User Jabes
(member) Tue 17-Nov-20 13:08:09
Print Post

Feels like the early days of ADSL - door knocking and registering interest smile
Standard User slimj
(committed) Tue 17-Nov-20 14:28:04
Print Post

[re: Jabes] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jabes:
Feels like the early days of ADSL - door knocking and registering interest smile

I remember those days! I took action for our local exchange and built a website to register interest etc. When ADSL finally came we were so far from the exchange we couldn't get a stable connection! Typical.
Standard User slimj
(committed) Tue 17-Nov-20 14:38:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by tikka69:
It sounds like your CFP is going to be picked up by OR as a demand led scheme where they pick up the risk here and you dont need to setup a company entity to deal with them.

They will also lead the marketing side ( leaflets, etc ) and they setup a website so people can submit there vouchers directly to OR and have a display of the numbers required to hit the target, etc

Takes all the pain away for you !!

Yes I am hoping this is the case, although the email wasn't very clear in explaining and the PDF with all the details seem to differ to the more personal email, hence the confusion.

Hopefully once this is all clarified I can give the go ahead then start rallying everyone in the catchment area.

Have mentioned what I am doing to the local Parish council and they seem keen (as I want to put a post on their village facebook page!) - however, the area included in the list are just a small portion of the village and the majority of the village can already gain pretty much full FTTC speeds. There are a few postcodes on the other side of the village that are still sub 10Mbps, but they're quite a way outside the catchment area of this CFP project so I can imagine expanding the project to cover these (including the whole village basically!) would probably increase costs substantially and make it more difficult to manage! I guess it may make sense for someone over that side of the village to look at a separate CFP project - I'll have to ask the CFP manager to see what he suggests is the best way forwards.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to