General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shortshrift27
(newbie) Fri 23-Oct-20 13:08:26
Print Post

fttp 300/30 delivering 160/30

[link to this post]

My FTTPoD service went live yesterday.

I've run a bunch of speedtests wired and wireless, using 3 different machines, and different speedtesters.

The consistency is wonderful. Morning, noon and night I get 155-160/30. Every time. Couldn't be more stable. Nothing to suggest packet loss or congestion.

But I'm on a 300/30 service.

I asked tech support at my provider whether I could be on the wrong profile. They ran some tests and were certain I wasn't.

Router is an Asus RT-AX86U, which should be able to handle 2.5Gbps WAN.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Standard User brookheather
(member) Fri 23-Oct-20 14:18:53
Print Post

Re: fttp 300/30 delivering 160/30

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

First try a factory reset on the router - sometimes QoS settings get stuck limiting the speed. If still not resolved try connecting a PC/laptop directly to the ONT and dial a PPPoE connection and try another speed test to rule out the router being the issue here.

(Also just checking that you are running all tests over Ethernet not wireless?)

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD

Edited by brookheather (Fri 23-Oct-20 14:20:07)

(newbie) Fri 23-Oct-20 14:28:50
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

Thanks. Tested both wired and wireless. Had wondered whether the router was trying to do something crazy with QoS, but capping to 160Mbps arbitrarily? The router was fresh out of the box yesterday.

Will though test with PPPoE when I have a moment.

I slightly suspect that if my provider isn't capping me (and they're sure they aren't) then Openreach equipment is.

But it's possible the PPPoE testing will reveal a router issue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Oct-20 14:29:33
Print Post

It sounds like they have put you on the wrong service but your provider should be able to get that confirmed.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sat 24-Oct-20 00:23:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by shortshrift27:
My FTTPoD service went live yesterday.

I've run a bunch of speedtests wired and wireless, using 3 different machines, and different speedtesters.

The consistency is wonderful. Morning, noon and night I get 155-160/30. Every time. Couldn't be more stable. Nothing to suggest packet loss or congestion.

But I'm on a 300/30 service.

I asked tech support at my provider whether I could be on the wrong profile. They ran some tests and were certain I wasn't.

Router is an Asus RT-AX86U, which should be able to handle 2.5Gbps WAN.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Take the router out of the loop and test directly with a short Cat5e or 6A cable from the Ethernet port of your laptop into the Ethernet port of the ONT. you will need to setup a PPPoE login etc on your laptop to get the link up.

If you’re still getting 160/30 then you have been incorrectly configured by your provider.
(newbie) Sat 24-Oct-20 16:49:52
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Many thanks @brookheather, @ian72, @Pheasant.

I've now had a chance to connect directly to the ONT with Windows 10/PPPoE (with a different ethernet cable also).

Much as expected, all speedtests came in at 155-160/30, same as previous tests when connected via the router.

Every test, every time of day comes in the same.

My provider's technical support looked at this and were certain I was not on the wrong profile. If they're not capping me, Openreach is. But the absolute consistency with which I get 155-160/30 seems clearly to point to a cap somewhere.

Will pick this up with them on Monday. Independently of this config error, I have a regrade request in (to 900/115) - maybe this will result in my provider's or Openreach's systems correcting.
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sat 24-Oct-20 16:58:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by shortshrift27:
I have a regrade request in (to 900/115) - maybe this will result in my provider's or Openreach's systems correcting.

As you've only just gone live on the 330/30 FoD service, are you not being asked to pay off the 12 month contract on your 330/30 service before being able to switch tiers? I'm not aware of any CP allowing FoD customers to switch tiers mid-contract penalty free but happy to be corrected. Who is your CP?

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Sat 24-Oct-20 17:01:32)

(newbie) Sat 24-Oct-20 17:15:46
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

As you've only just gone live on the 330/30 FoD service, are you not being asked to pay off the 12 month contract on your 330/30 service before being able to switch tiers? I'm not aware of any CP allowing FoD customers to switch tiers mid-contract penalty free but happy to be corrected. Who is your CP?

@Highland76 - I had heard exactly the same, which was frustrating as I had ordered 300/30 when that was all that was available... and then the new tiers came out in the course of my build.

My provider (Cerberus, since you ask) has told me that regrading is now straightforward. I can see from the Cerberus dashboard that BTW has accepted the regrade order and expects it to go live next business day (Monday). Let's see what happens.

(And no, there is no penalty, although the new 12-month contract will run from the regrade date. So, er, 4 days longer than before. smile It is the case though that I requested the regrade long before the service went live. However, it may simply be that the process has changed since folk last discussed it.)
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Oct-20 17:29:04
Print Post

Excellent news that Cerberus and BTW are being flexible on this - since new orders get the benefit of choosing the right tier up front.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sat 24-Oct-20 18:43:03
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Excellent news that Cerberus and BTW are being flexible on this - since new orders get the benefit of choosing the right tier up front.

Indeed it would be quite petty, especially given the higher speed tiers are now available on FTTPoD from the get go. When they were only officially offering one tier on FTTPoD, you could understand the logic somewhat.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to