General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WackyZacky
(newbie) Sun 25-Oct-20 23:01:33
Print Post

BT Smart Hub 2, qouple of questions

[link to this post]

Hi all,

First question, what is the broadband socket on the rear for?

Second question, I could connect our JVC Smart TV when we had Plusnet, I cannot connect with the BT hub either searching for the hub, which it finds, and then entering the password or using the WPS button. Our two smart phones and laptop are all connected wirelessly so wireless is working. Is there any way to connect the Plusnet router, (which I still have) as a slave to the BT router and use the wireless of the Plusnet router to connect to the TV, which I know works?

Thanks,
Gerald

Edited by WackyZacky (Mon 26-Oct-20 07:58:03)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Oct-20 06:36:46
Print Post

Re: BT Smart Hub 2, qouple of questions

[re: WackyZacky] [link to this post]

‘Broadband socket’ ? Please describe in more detail ....

Are you on an FTTP service possibly ? If so, the the RJ11 jack is for a VDSL or ADSL service to be connected

Standard User WackyZacky
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-20 08:04:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'm on FTTP. There are 4 ethernet sockets and the broadband socket. One of the ethernet sockets connects to the FTN box and two connect to our PCs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Oct-20 09:44:24
Print Post

As Zarjax said that broadband socket is for the phone line based broadband services i.e. ADSL and VDSL2

Repurposing an old router as an access point is possible, you need to turn off the DHCP server in it and ensure that there are no IP addresses i.e. Plusnet router is a different IP address to the SmartHub 2 and connect the Plusnet hub to the Smart Hub 2 using the LAN Ethernet sockets

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Oct-20 09:49:07
Print Post

So the ‘broadband socket’ you query is for VDSL or ADSL connections as I suggested.

As for your TV/wifi issue, pass, strange things happen. I have an internet radio that connects via wifi. It worked for three days from new, then refused to connect to my Home Hub 4 (whilst all else still did) I got the radio replaced, and it still wouldn’t. Replaced the Hub 4 with a Hub 6 problem solved.

A recent upgrade of my connection meant changing my Hub 6 for a version 2 ..... everything else worked, again, the radio decided it wouldn’t accept my repeated manual entries of the new code .... it did however accept the WPS attempt.

Weird.

Can you not feed your telly via ethernet ?

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Oct-20 09:51:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As Zarjax said

You have made me into a household cleaning product 😳

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 26-Oct-20 10:25:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I have three Amazon Echoes, bought within a few days of each other earlier this year.

I turned one off at the mains socket, and now it won't reconnect to the internet 😯. (Yes, I have turned it on again!) Failing in its original position, in the room with the router, and when setting it up where I di when it first arrived,

It comes on, connects to the router, gets a LAN IP address, but does not connect to the internet. Then disconnects from the router. Appearing in the router's list of devices as disconnected.

I have reset it and the router to factory defaults several times. The other two, and my phone, iPad and TV all continue to connect without intervention once I change the default router wifi password to the expected one.

It's about time I contacted Amazon about it frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
  Print Thread

Jump to