General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User E300
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-20 17:25:32
Print Post

Cerberus FTTP, anyone else having issues?

[link to this post]

I'm with Cerberus FTTP and was having issues today on VoIP calls with stuttering audio and thought I check my BQM, and since around 10am yesterday my normal flat green chart is now all over the place with periods of high latency and packet loss.

Router doesn't show any disconnections. Seems to be at regular intervals it just goes mad with high latency. Nothing changed my end that I know off.

Before I raise a ticket just wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same on Cerberus at the minute?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Standard User brookheather
(member) Fri 30-Oct-20 17:50:36
Print Post

Re: Cerberus FTTP, anyone else having issues?

[re: E300] [link to this post]

Yes I am having the same problems since 10am yesterday - I have logged a support ticket but not heard anything yet. Good to know it's not just me. Please also raise a ticket.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD

Edited by brookheather (Fri 30-Oct-20 18:04:28)

Standard User E300
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-20 17:54:10
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

Thanks for the update, yep always feels better these types of faults when it's more than one person having the issue and also means I don't have to start rebooting things etc as well.

I'll also raise a ticket then so they know it's not just one person.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E300
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-20 18:08:04
Print Post

Just started playing up again and pings to the bbc.co.uk are now ~600ms rather than the usual 8ms I see.

Odd it is this regular pattern of okay then not okay.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Fri 30-Oct-20 18:08:50
Print Post

Yep. Looks like it started around 10:30am yesterday, according to my BQM graph.

Massive latency spikes every 2 hours! Previously dead flat, green and constant 6ms pings.

I’ll raise a ticket with them this evening.
Standard User E300
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-20 18:21:02
Print Post

Had a reply to my ticket from Cerberus saying there was an issue and it has been resolved and could I check again, but it is still ongoing, I've updated them and shared a live link to my BQM chart.
Standard User E300
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-20 18:48:23
Print Post

Our BQM charts are as good as identical except you have a lower baseline ping, but switching between them on browser tabs it is crazy how they match. What gateway are you connected to? I'm 46.37.48.1.
Standard User shortshrift27
(newbie) Fri 30-Oct-20 18:55:03
Print Post

Relieved to see your post. I thought it was more of my teething troubles (my service only went live last week).

Since yesterday, my ping to my work PC in London (normally a consistent 20 ms) has been occasionally coming in at around a second.

I had to switch back to my old BT FTTC line.
(member) Fri 30-Oct-20 19:27:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by E300:
Our BQM charts are as good as identical except you have a lower baseline ping, but switching between them on browser tabs it is crazy how they match. What gateway are you connected to? I'm 46.37.48.1.

Yes I'm on the same gateway.

(newbie) Fri 30-Oct-20 19:31:35
Print Post

(Also on 46.37.48.1.)
Standard User E300
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-20 19:44:20
Print Post

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

Good job you had the FTTC line as a back up.

This is the first issue I've had in 11 months with Cerberus although not too good that it's well over 24 hours now since this problem began and no acknowledgement on their status page and as I type it looks like we are hitting another period of high latency again so still ongoing and not fixed.

Probably worth you raising a ticket if you haven't already and hopefully it gets fixed before I need it for work on Monday.

Do Cerberus have more than one gateway? Is it possible to drop PPP and get on a different gateway that might be okay?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Oct-20 19:47:10
Print Post

It might be worth linking Cerberus to this thread. It will help show how widespread the issue is.

They also have a rep who has posted here in the past. They might be able to update the thread with any details.
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-20 20:13:10
Print Post

Yes I'm having the same issues, massive spike every couple of Hours
Standard User tdw42
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-20 20:24:01
Print Post

Yes, seeing high latency and bursts of packet loss on a couple of FTTPoD circuits, couple of occasions yesterday evening but most since 8am this morning. PPPoE sessions have been up for 99 and 15 days with gateway 46.37.48.1, both circuits on the same headend exchange (NELEB).
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Fri 30-Oct-20 20:37:48
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
It might be worth linking Cerberus to this thread. It will help show how widespread the issue is.

They also have a rep who has posted here in the past. They might be able to update the thread with any details.

They’re already aware it’s affecting customers up and down the country. They said as much when I raised my ticket about an hour ago.

Issue is known to be within their network. They however have no resolution time at the moment.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Fri 30-Oct-20 20:42:37
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tdw42:
Yes, seeing high latency and bursts of packet loss on a couple of FTTPoD circuits, couple of occasions yesterday evening but most since 8am this morning. PPPoE sessions have been up for 99 and 15 days with gateway 46.37.48.1, both circuits on the same headend exchange (NELEB).

My PPP session has been up 71 days. Yesterday’s BQM graph shows the onset of severe latency issues. Today’s is however far worse.

Yesterday:

Today:
(member) Fri 30-Oct-20 20:54:02
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Why haven't they posted this to their service status page? Very poor CS. No reply at all to my ticket raised this afternoon.

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Fri 30-Oct-20 21:56:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by brookheather:
Why haven't they posted this to their service status page? Very poor CS. No reply at all to my ticket raised this afternoon.

To be fair it’s been a long while since my last real issue on this service, and despite a hiccup at contract anniversary and re-grade around mid-year the service has been faultless. The re-grade was a BTW back office provisioning issue around lockdown time.

The worst was when we had a local lightening strike that fried all the network gear and killed the gigabit part of the Ethernet port on the ONT. it would only connect at 100 meg half duplex. Openreach came the next morning with a fresh one.

I have (touch wood, and not a tree branch at that!) never had a full blown FTTP service outage.

This current problem isn’t a full blow outage but it should probably tick some SLA if I can be bothered to dig out my paperwork...if it’s not sorted by 7am Monday.
Standard User E300
(regular) Sat 31-Oct-20 09:01:25
Print Post

Still nothing posted on their service status page to give some idea of what is going on and no further response to my ticket although it is the weekend I would hope someone is working on this problem as a priority.

So overnight the same regular pattern although periods of high latency weren't as bad overnight, perhaps due to less traffic overall, but now experiencing another period of high latency which on the chart seems to be heading back to the same severity as seen yesterday.

Just an edit: Support page has some reference to a problem starting yesterday

Emergency Maintenance Work on Network Services - 08:58:36 - 20:00:00 on 31/10/2020
Posted 31-10-2020 08:58:36

We observed 2-3 times latency issue in network infrastructure for a minute or less duration since yesterday. We narrow down the issue and identify specific problematic module on core device. We are working on it to fix the issue and due to the part of troubleshooting, it may cause latency issue on some of connections intermittent

Edited by E300 (Sat 31-Oct-20 09:19:23)

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sat 31-Oct-20 09:40:52
Print Post

That must be the one in the same issue.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Oct-20 11:16:38
Print Post

We observed 2-3 times latency issue in network infrastructure for a minute or less duration since yesterday. We narrow down the issue and identify specific problematic module on core device. We are working on it to fix the issue and due to the part of troubleshooting, it may cause latency issue on some of connections intermittent

Do they have that in English?

2-3 times latency for a minute or less duration? That cannot seriously be the same issue.

Talk about down playing a problem
Standard User E300
(regular) Sat 31-Oct-20 12:46:59
Print Post

It was poorly worded and seems to down play the issue somewhat.

Fingers crossed since the last period of issues that ended around 9:15am today no sign of the same pattern of bad latency and packet loss coming back again 2 hours later. Hoping it is fixed.
(member) Sat 31-Oct-20 12:53:16
Print Post

Latency seems to be back to normal now - hopefully it will stay that way.

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Oct-20 13:10:51
Print Post

FWIW: I'm connected to BRAS 46.37.48.1 too, although I've been away for the last couple of days, so wasn't using my Cerberus line interactively.

I have the Perfsonar toolkit running continuously to a remote node, only over IPv6 (perfsonar doesn't like NAT). It sends 10 packets per second in each direction. Perfsonar didn't record any increase in latency or packet loss over the past few days.

Hence it's possible the problem affected only their IPv4 transit, not their IPv6 transit.

They still should have some monitoring of their own to notice the problem before their customers do.
Standard User E300
(regular) Sat 31-Oct-20 13:23:54
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info however in my case Thinkbroadband BQM is pinging my IPv6 address, and when I also tested to confirm the latency issues by pinging other websites (e.g. bbc.oc.uk) that defaults defaults to IPv6 which saw ping times > 500ms.

I first became aware of a problem using VoIP which goes over IPv6 as it was choppy audio and I could barely understand what the other person was saying and gave up on the call and tried again with the same results. I then reached for my mobile which is using EE Wi-Fi calling which goes over IPv4 and that was exactly the same issue, hence I realised the fault seemed to be my side.

So I would say IPv6 and IPv4 was equally affected, certainly what I saw. Thankfully seems to be fixed now, perhaps it was not affecting every customer or only certain routes?

Edited by E300 (Sat 31-Oct-20 13:25:31)

Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Oct-20 13:26:21
Print Post

I was seeing issues on both IPv4 and IPv6 with the graphs matching pretty much perfectly. Seemed to start on Thursday afternoon, got progressively worse through Friday and was very bad overnight.

Since about 09:30 this morning the graphs have settled down.

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Sat 31-Oct-20 14:48:16
Print Post

[re: lincsat] [link to this post]

I'm still seeing a few spikes on the graph but it seems a whole lot better than it's been the last couple of Days
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sat 31-Oct-20 15:06:51
Print Post

Had the following update to my ticket @ 14:13:

“ This is to inform you that our Senior Network Team has performed emergency maintenance to eliminate the latency issue. We have updated Cerberus service status page for customer awareness. Request you to please monitor the connection and let us know in case of any further issue.”

BQM graphs seem to have improved since the last major spike around 08:30/9:00 this morning but still not completely back to normal (yet)...latency spikes are still evident from around 11:30 and 13:30 following the same periodicity of the last 48 hours.

Standard User E300
(regular) Sat 31-Oct-20 15:15:30
Print Post

My graph looks exactly the same, so it seems the latency issues are still repeating every couple of hours as before, just they have somehow mitigated the effect, so perhaps not fixed but more a work around at this stage. Makes you wonder what could be causing it.

Had exactly the same ticket response as well.

Edited by E300 (Sat 31-Oct-20 15:16:19)

(newbie) Sat 31-Oct-20 15:40:55
Print Post

"eliminate"

Right.

My graph is still spiking every 2 hours. Spikes are less dramatic than yesterday, but clearly still there.

(newbie) Sat 31-Oct-20 15:44:01
Print Post

@E300, Apart from my higher baseline ping, the basic story of your graph and my graph is near identical. Sorry to hear they think this is resolved.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sat 31-Oct-20 15:51:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by shortshrift27:
@E300, Apart from my higher baseline ping, the basic story of your graph and my graph is near identical. Sorry to hear they think this is resolved.

It’s a “core” network issue, so stands to reason that all our BQM graphs will be near enough showing near identical delay spikes at the same frequency and time of day.

Something was/is failing on somewhere in their network.

I’ll keep at them. Please do likewise. It’s not resolved.
Standard User E300
(regular) Sat 31-Oct-20 15:53:50
Print Post

Yes I agree the underlying problem is still there, definitely some work around applied rather than an actual fix I think, I will update my ticket with them and point out we are still getting the same repeating latency issues but you'd hope they are monitoring it anyway. Granted it is better than what it was but it appears to be building in severity again each time it comes around.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Oct-20 16:25:44
Print Post

So I would say IPv6 and IPv4 was equally affected, certainly what I saw. Thankfully seems to be fixed now, perhaps it was not affecting every customer or only certain routes?

Interesting.

My second thought was that it's an ICMP versus UDP thing. Perfsonar uses owamp as its measurement protocol, and that runs over UDP. However you said that VoIP was getting choppy, and that's UDP too.

Therefore it sounds like a problem affecting some customers and not others. However, if it was a general issue with parts of BTW's backhaul network, then I'd expect it would affect customers of other ISPs as well.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sat 31-Oct-20 17:25:04
Print Post

Have been asked by Cerberus support to:

a. reboot my router
b. provide a trace route to either google.com or 8.8.8.8

The 'water peaks' still appear to be happening at roughly the same frequency, IRO of 1hr:20m to 1hr:48m from what I can tell.

Trace route run in between peaks (normal time?) looks absolutely fine. I will run again when we're in a peak.
Standard User E300
(regular) Sat 31-Oct-20 17:43:57
Print Post

Asked to do the same thing but just over the end of the last high latency cycle and so a trace seemed all okay. I was asked to keep monitoring it and I got the impression from the reply that they consider the problem fixed, I guess we wait and see as the next blast of high latency is due very soon.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sat 31-Oct-20 17:48:26
Print Post

Sigh! Yeah I know. I sent them all my BQM's from the past 72 hours. The difference been normal operation and now is stark! There's no way they can claim its fixed (yet).

Prior to the workaround action this morning, the peaks appeared to recur roughly every 1hr:48m.The last bad one was just before 9am.

Since midday I noticed the peaks (although reduced in severity) appear to have spread out to roughly 2hr:20m between cycles.
Standard User E300
(regular) Sat 31-Oct-20 18:00:24
Print Post

I'm not too impressed so far with their support and how they have responded, although of course there may well be a team of technicians on to it pulling all nighters to get it fixed or they are trying to source new kit and that just hasn't been communicated that to us.

Anyway, here we go again, now seeing increased latency on the chart bang on schedule. Nowhere near as bad as the worst it got but each time it seems to be getting worse.

Looks like on Monday I will be having to look at the BQM chart and reschedule my catch up conference calls to fall in a "good" period.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sat 31-Oct-20 22:34:09
Print Post

This looks like it’s settling down now...will see how things go overnight.

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 01-Nov-20 07:17:02
Print Post

How are other folks now getting on?

This was my BQM overnight and early morning:

The last monster spike from Saturday morning is still evident for comparison purposes. This is obviously much better, but there is still this periodic spike occurring, so whatever is causing that is still not completely resolved.

Trace routes, as you would expect are looking normal.

Edit: for the very eagle eyed or curious, the red 100% packet loss spike @ 16:36 yesterday on the graph is my router being rebooted.

Edited by Pheasant (Sun 01-Nov-20 07:21:48)

Standard User E300
(regular) Sun 01-Nov-20 08:28:17
Print Post

My chart is very much the same as yours. The original problem is still there with this regular repeating period of higher than normal latency, but no where near as bad, but I don't feel confident in Cerberus and their network as their latest service statement says the issue is resolved and they are closing the incident. Clearly whatever was faulty is still faulty and having an affect, yes it may be mitigated and not service affecting now, but there is definitely a weakness in their infrastructure that has not been fixed. Given the impending lock downs and needing a reliable connection and the premium many of us pay for a more business oriented ISP like Cerberus, I'm not impressed they are happy to suggest the issue is resolved when clearly it is still bubbling away..

The incident closed statement may just be poor wording and a break down in communication on their service status page and maybe some scheduled work is planned to swap out some faulty part and get things stable again in the week when parts arrive and we will get a more comprehensive update Monday.

For me I'm coming up to needing to move from FTTPoD first 12 months to a native FTTP product, I was planning on staying with Cerberus but now changing my mind.

For comparison sakes this is my typical BQM from just before the issues started:

Edited by E300 (Sun 01-Nov-20 08:37:50)

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 01-Nov-20 08:40:59
Print Post

I feel your frustration. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt over the course of the weekend and see what happens on Monday...

I would recommend you speak directly with Bob Hendy about this if you’re contemplating a move away. I’ve always found Bob extremely polite, helpful, level headed and honest when resolving issues - as you would when you’re speaking to the boss.
(member) Sun 01-Nov-20 11:22:06
Print Post

I had small regular spikes every two hours or so overnight but just noticed a much bigger spike around 11am this morning. Checking my ping log which I've left running I am getting latency of over 100ms on some pings instead of the usual under 4ms. It hasn't affected general browsing or streaming but clearly there is still an issue on their network.

Edited by brookheather (Sun 01-Nov-20 11:22:51)

Standard User lincsat
(regular) Sun 01-Nov-20 11:22:43
Print Post

I'm in a similar position with regular spikes still, in one right now but traceroutes look normal and performance seems OK, not tried Voip though..

I had just arranged to migrate from Cerberus to Trunk networks and Cerberus would have got the notification just as their problems started, so at least others having issues calms the conspiracy theorist inside me.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 01-Nov-20 11:34:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by lincsat:
I'm in a similar position with regular spikes still, in one right now but traceroutes look normal and performance seems OK, not tried Voip though..

I had just arranged to migrate from Cerberus to Trunk networks and Cerberus would have got the notification just as their problems started, so at least others having issues calms the conspiracy theorist inside me.

Darn! I just knew it was all your fault smile
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 01-Nov-20 11:39:27
Print Post

....but just noticed a much bigger spike around 11am this morning. Checking my ping log which I've left running I am getting latency of over 100ms on some pings instead of the usual under 4ms. It hasn't affected general browsing or streaming but clearly there is still an issue on their network.

Yes, seen that too. Just when it looked like things were calming down. They clearly have some sort of workaround / band-aid in place....but to claim its resolved....well I reckon their engineers didn't fancy the overtime / hanging around on a Saturday after they thought they'd resolved it.
Standard User E300
(regular) Sun 01-Nov-20 12:00:47
Print Post

This will come as no surprise really but just to confirm I saw exactly the same spike. I'm on a video conference call later so I hope it behaves itself.

Has anyone tried opening another ticket with them?
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 01-Nov-20 14:07:30
Print Post

Ticket is still open.

They are maintaining that their senior network engineers have resolved the latency issue. I have been asked by their support engineer to setup and share BQM monitoring session for one of their core routers and also a cache, to see if its a 'local' issue....

The core router 46.37.32.14 is showing the periodic latency delay spikes that coincide with what I'm seeing on my connection. I've sent them links to the live graphs. Don't see ant reason why I can't share here too...

thn-core01.cerberus.net.uk (46.37.32.14)

cache0.cerberus.net.uk (46.37.32.22)
Standard User E300
(regular) Sun 01-Nov-20 14:48:45
Print Post

Thank you for the update, very timely as we head into another period of increasing latency looking at BQM and pings, looks like the worst we've seen today so far.

So I've been constantly pinging bbc.co.uk as I saw we were into another high latency period and pings are bouncing about, from 8ms up to 300ms as worst case, and generally a lot of jitter. Pinging 8.8.8.8 was jumping around from 8ms to 164ms and this variance and jitter matches what I'm now seeing from my BQM (and everyone else's sharing here) with some pings >160ms, i.e. off the chart.

46.37.32.22 stays at 8-9ms with 46.37.32.14 being a bit more jittery ranging from 8ms to 19ms and this matches what is seen in their respective BQMs.

Not sure what that proves mind you but it's a bit more data.

(newbie) Sun 01-Nov-20 15:05:57
Print Post

Same:

Wonder what's going on!
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Sun 01-Nov-20 18:35:47
Print Post

Same issue here, same gateway.
Standard User E300
(regular) Mon 02-Nov-20 08:38:46
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Yes also see it is continued overnight with the same repeating pattern. Hopefully today being Monday with everyone back after the weekend we may get a bit more information to what is going on and when it might be fixed.

Edited by E300 (Mon 02-Nov-20 08:39:23)

Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Nov-20 10:00:18
Print Post

I think it due to more peoples going online now and working from home and worse set to come when the lockdown begin on Thursday that why broadband seem has many issues and maybe short staffed with many isp's are now working from home plus all engineers are short staffed and might not be available when the lockdown start.

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 11:07:15
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Sorry Max it’s nothing to do with this. Thanks for the input as always though.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Mon 02-Nov-20 11:09:22
Print Post

I disagree, the previous lockdown I had no issues during or prior to.
Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Nov-20 11:15:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ixel:
I disagree, the previous lockdown I had no issues during or prior to.

The engineer will NOT allow to go to customer house during lockdown. End of

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User E300
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 11:31:29
Print Post

To @adslmax, you seem to have arrived late to this thread and so perhaps don't understand the issue being discussed. Are you with Cerberus and seeing the same issue?

No one has mentioned engineer visiting premises and this isn't anything to do with the national lockdown (which hasn't started yet) or issues with capacity but an ongoing fault external to us the customer that we are told is resolved, but still appears to be around, albeit not as bad. If you read from the very first post you will see the issue, from it's worst, to where it still lingers.

I can confirm with others that during the first lockdown there were absolutely no changes or issues with Cerberus.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 11:43:35
Print Post

I’ve started a BQM monitoring sesh on the Cerberus gateway. Similar latency spike activity going on there. It’s not been running long enough to correlate the trends against our own connections, but more data is helpful hopefully.

Live link to 46.37.48.1:
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Nov-20 11:46:35
Print Post

That's not what he disagreed with.

He disagreed with your comment that this issue has been caused by more people online.
I do too.

What customer number made it immediately jump from a perfectly flat BQM to this?
Customer 1,000 or 1,001?
It's a ridiculous suggestion. Clearly something broke.

In reply to a post by adslmax:
The engineer will NOT allow to go to customer house during lockdown. End of

Wrong.
Putting End of when wrong just makes you look stupid.

This "lockdown" coming on Thursday isn't as strict as the previous lockdown. OpenReach continue to enter homes when safe to do so.

Please also remember OpenReach isn't English, it operates throughout the UK.
Only England is starting a lockdown on Thursday.
The world doesn't revolve around your country and neither does OpenReach.

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 02-Nov-20 11:47:31)

Standard User E300
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 13:44:35
Print Post

The gateway BQM seems to be following the same pattern of high latency periods although nowhere near as bad.

Cerberus must realise without us telling them that their network is nothing like the same as it was the day before all this started? Leaving customers to set up monitoring and for their service status to have no further updates except to say the matter is resolved seems odd and not very customer focused. The updates we did have were hard to decipher and the grammar was terrible and not very professional. Okay the service updates might have been from a stressed network engineer using his mobile or English wasn't their first language, so I kind of expected someone to come along Monday and tidy up the text on the service status page and add a bit more info, but they haven't.

All in all I'm disappointed with Cerberus. Yes things go wrong, no problem with the odd issue, but it is how a company deals with problems and puts them right that sets them apart.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 02-Nov-20 14:24:36
Print Post

E300

It read like a stressed Indian tech support person.

Issue looks to me to be a failing card on a gateway / router somewhere. Every 2 hours it overloads with errors and fails, secondary card then takes over everything reverts when the original card reboots then repeats x hours later. Very difficult to find the failing card in a large network mush easier in a smaller network BUT fault is never there wen you look!
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Mon 02-Nov-20 14:33:00
Print Post

I haven't opened a ticket yet but I think I will go ahead, just more as a reminder that this is an ongoing issue and not resolved by any means. I'm sure I'll get the usual basic suggestions such as "reboot the router" which won't fix the problem at all.

Following the thread though, it doesn't seem very optimistic given their response to other customers so far. I wouldn't expect this less than stellar quality of support from a business oriented ISP. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though and see how the next few days progress.

For reference, my BQM used to look something like this for a very long time: https://imgur.com/a/kQJc7i4

I just hope I don't have a repeat scenario like I had with another ISP some time ago, although that issue was related to poor single thread download speed and I was on FTTC at the time. Either way I was in contract and it was a bit of a tussle to get that other ISP to release me from it after countless weeks of no resolution.

EDIT: Used imgur as I was unable to provide a direct link to a historical BQM without it asking the user to login.

Edited by Ixel (Mon 02-Nov-20 14:38:29)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Nov-20 14:41:44
Print Post

Like other potential Cerberus customers I've been watching this thread with interest to see how Cerberus deal with wide spread network issues like this, Its left me feeling that they still have work to do to meet the expectations of their customers when it comes to issues like this. I hope after they have finally sorted this ongoing issue they will sit down and do a deep dive review and put procedures in place to deal with it better should it ever occur again.

All the best to all those affected.
Standard User E300
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 16:12:17
Print Post

Seems to have been some change since 7am this morning. Rather than an hour of poor latency followed every couple of hours by things being okay, it's now consistently ropy with no obvious pattern. At least that is what I'm seeing now.

I've also received a response to my ticket saying the network team have said the issue is resolved!

For context, this is the chart the day before the issues began:

Looks like in a month I'm an ex customer if this is the new norm.

Edited by E300 (Mon 02-Nov-20 16:13:18)

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 17:38:19
Print Post

I've also had this message from their support team at 16:10 today:

"We have double checked with our Network team and as per them the issue is already resolved. So request you to please check and let us know in case of any further issues."

My response was:

"This issue is clearly not resolved. The BQM for my connection and for the gateway @ 46.37.48.1 are attached and I’ve included links to each respective live BQM monitoring session for information.

As you will see there are still regular latency delay spikes occurring. Although the situation has improved from late last week, these delay spike are coinciding, timing wise on the main 46.37.48.1 gateway as well as for the router for my connection. This is clearly not “normal" operation at all - and not good enough.

There is very evidently still a problem somewhere in your network. Therefore please do not close the ticket. I would like it escalated instead and will call tomorrow to get an update."

They are clearing trying to brush this one under the carpet, but I'll not let it die and suggest anyone else affected keeps their tickets open and pushes for a resolution.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 17:55:02
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
E300

It read like a stressed Indian tech support person.

Issue looks to me to be a failing card on a gateway / router somewhere. Every 2 hours it overloads with errors and fails, secondary card then takes over everything reverts when the original card reboots then repeats x hours later. Very difficult to find the failing card in a large network mush easier in a smaller network BUT fault is never there wen you look!

That seems a very plausible explanation. The periodicity of the fault has changed as they have implemented workarounds or 'fixes' but the regularity is still there, although it appears to be on a longer cycle time right now.

I don't understand how that can claim it's fixed. The evidence is so clear its not.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 18:09:05
Print Post

I'm not sure but it feels like I'm either being strung along or taken on a "fishing expedition" on this...Latest update /request from support:

"Thanks for the reply.

Request you to please monitor Cerberus DNS IPs: 46.37.32.22 or 46.37.33.22 and update the result over the email to check this further.

Also, please note that the latency you are seeing today is much lower than Friday. Also, it’s not following the pattern that we was very clear on Saturday.

Could you please also enable SNMP on your router with the SNMP string and also allow SNMP over the WAN, so that we can also configure our monitoring system for your connection to monitor the latency/bandwidth further for testing purpose."

What do their DNS servers have to do with this? I'm setup to use google DNS in any event.

Edited by Pheasant (Mon 02-Nov-20 18:09:47)

Standard User E300
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 18:33:38
Print Post

Thanks for persevering.

I have no idea either why they want you to monitor their DNS servers and if they are monitored what does it prove either way? Don't they have their own staff using the service they already monitor and have their own connections in their office they can test?

Yes true, the latency/jitter we are seeing is much lower than Friday, which was extreme latency with a loads of packet loss as well, but it is magnitudes higher than the latency and jitter on Thursday and everyday before then, and certainly worse than you would expect to see on any business oriented ISP connection.

I will keep my ticket open and let them know I'm also still experiencing problems.

Edited by E300 (Mon 02-Nov-20 18:35:39)

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 18:55:22
Print Post

The irony is that I realised I'm already monitoring their primary DNS server, as I was asked in my email discussions with them on Saturday to BQM monitor "cache0.cerberus.net.uk" (46.37.32.22) - which as it turns out is their primary DNS...I just didn't put two and two together at the time.

So anyways in the interests of helping them out, I will put a BQM on on their secondary DNS, aka cache1.cerberus.net.uk (46.37.33.22)
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 19:04:18
Print Post

Its only fair, that I post an email that I received a short while ago from Bob Hendy, who is the Director at Cerberus:

"The team do not consider this issue resolved and the support case will remain open until you have confirmed that you are happy. I am sorry if we gave an impression to the contrary. There is clearly still an issue albeit impacting some users – although significantly less than when first identified.

The senior engineers are continuing to look at the root cause of the problem. It is not clear to me how many customers are still affected by this but the issue does not appear to be widespread.

Regardless of the number of users affected, the problem is still apparent on your circuit and needs resolving ASAP and we are working to ensure that happens.

Please be assured that we are on the case and will keep you posted."
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Mon 02-Nov-20 19:15:33
Print Post

It's particularly bad again right now. Ping and tracerts seem OK but my Voip isn't registering with the server and even my Android mobile is reporting no internet on the wireless connection
(newbie) Mon 02-Nov-20 19:18:49
Print Post

@Pheasant, Many thanks for this update.

I make it 8 user reports from the TBB community:
(1) @E300
(2) @brookheather
(3) @Pheasant
(4) @shortshrift27
(5) @lincsat
(6) @tdw42
(7) @JonRennie
(8) @Ixel

I presume no one impacted sees it as back to normal yet? ( I don't. Better, but not back to normal. My work PC has since Friday been reconnected to my old BT FTTC line, which wasn't what I had in mind when I paid for FoD. smile )
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Mon 02-Nov-20 19:20:34
Print Post

My BQM is no different, still impacted by this problem. I apparently had a very minor amount of packet loss earlier too.
Standard User E300
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 19:42:09
Print Post

@Pheasant, thanks for the update from Bob Hendy, although it frustrates me even more when I read things like that. If there are ongoing issues that they are aware off, at least show that on the service status and make sure your staff are briefed and don't imply issues are fixed when they are known not to be and so enter into pointless ticket tennis. No excuse for his support staff not to have up to date information, they are not hundreds in number.

Just now I've received a reply to my support ticket with the exact same response they have given you asking me to monitor their DNS servers and setup SNMP over WAN? Do I really want to open SNMP to everyone on the Internet, at least let us know what source address/subnet to restrict it to. Also they are asking their customers to use a free resource on Thinkbroadband to monitor the various gateways and DNS servers to help troubleshoot their network issue, it's a bit cheeky when you think about it. Do they not have a Firebrick or similar hosted somewhere offsite outside their own network to do their own monitoring and quality control?
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Mon 02-Nov-20 19:47:43
Print Post

Makes one wonder if they lack crucial diagnostics internally. Surely that's not the case.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Nov-20 20:19:31
Print Post

Do I really want to open SNMP to everyone on the Internet, at least let us know what source address/subnet to restrict it to.

I can answer that one, as I had already set up their interface graphing service, a.k.a. "NetSTATS" (*)

SNMP has to be permitted from 46.37.32.18 and 46.37.33.2. Of course, they'll also need your SNMP community string.

(*) I do my own graphs anyway, but was interested to see what they've implemented. It's Cacti. Cacti just reads the bytes in/out counters every 5 minutes. It won't tell them anything about packet loss or latency.
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 21:10:17
Print Post

I've enabled SNMP on my pfSense router and linked it to their NetStats - can't see anything about latency on their graphs though.

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Tue 03-Nov-20 00:50:28
Print Post

Incorrect, due to the nature of issues with requirements of telephone/broadband engineers are allowed in to houses on Lockdown 2.0.

They will request you wear a mask and they will wear a mask and they have been advised to stay 2m from the customer.

So you are wrong.... again.....
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 06:42:38
Print Post

Well there’s definitely a big improvement since around 11pm (on my connection and 7pm on the main gateway) last night. All the very nasty 160+ ms max. latency spikes seem to have died down to around 20ms worst case. There is still a perceptible recurring pattern of raised latency going on but it’s vastly better.

I also noticed the ‘green’ average baseline latency appears to have increased since around 5am this morning on my connection. I’d estimate by around 50% from the previous and usual level, from what I can see on the BQM graph anyway.

My BQM snapshot: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Main gateway (46.37.48.1) BQM snapshot:

Edited by Pheasant (Tue 03-Nov-20 06:47:43)

Standard User E300
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 08:08:29
Print Post

Yes looking better this morning here as well. The minimum latency is unchanged on my connection but those nasty maximums have been tamed and generally it looks more stable.

Interesting that still there is the pattern present of the original problem, certainly seen quite clearly on the gateway chart. Seems the problem part hasn't been fixed, just further mitigated, but hopefully that brings them closer to finding the actual broken bit of kit. Of course this may be a supplier issue making it harder to diagnose.

If you look at pheasants BQM, it's a world away to what we are seeing.

Edited by E300 (Tue 03-Nov-20 11:03:42)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Nov-20 08:10:27
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bryer:
So you are wrong.... again.....
Give him a break, others have already corrected him on this and a few other points yesterday.
Standard User E300
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 09:11:06
Print Post

@Pheasant, is your gateway still the same? If I compare my BQM to the the gateway one there was period of higher than usual latency at around 6:30am, this mirrors exactly the same sort of repeating latency increase on the gateway BQM, but on your BQM you didn't have this higher latency at all, it was flat all the way through that. Given your slight bump up in minimum latency at around 5am seems to suggest your connection has been changed somehow or rerouted.

Edited by E300 (Tue 03-Nov-20 09:11:46)

Standard User Ixel
(committed) Tue 03-Nov-20 09:23:49
Print Post

My BQM is showing a far better result overnight and this morning, only one spike but nowhere near as high.

GW: 46.37.48.1

Edited by Ixel (Tue 03-Nov-20 09:24:35)

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 09:37:53
Print Post

@Pheasant, is your gateway still the same? If I compare my BQM to the the gateway one there was period of higher than usual latency at around 6:30am, this mirrors exactly the same sort of repeating latency increase on the gateway BQM, but on your BQM you didn't have this higher latency at all, it was flat all the way through that. Given your slight bump up in minimum latency at around 5am seems to suggest your connection has been changed somehow or rerouted.

Well spotted!! I hadn’t bothered to login to the router, but yes on checking now it appears my gateway has changed to 46.37.56.2

Hmmm....workaround or permanent change?
Standard User E300
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 09:53:00
Print Post

I wonder if that gateway has always been there with customers connected or they've spun something up for testing and diagnostics? Or is it a change of backhaul supplier which terminates on different kit/gateway?

I've never kept note of the gateway IP so can't be sure if I've only ever connected to the one I'm on now or it has varied over time as part some sort of load balancing.

Hopefully you will get some update and info on what they are doing later today.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 09:57:03
Print Post

I’ll ask support what’s going on with the gateways.
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 10:45:42
Print Post

The last major spike on my connection was 9.30pm last night - there was a small one at 6.30am this morning but otherwise my connection is fine and has no increase in baseline latency so I'm closing my support ticket.

Standard User E300
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 11:01:59
Print Post

There are still the blips happening on the gateway that are affecting the connection though, unless you are special enough to get a new gateway that is smile One blip has just happened now and it is back up to >160ms latency, i.e. back to how it was yesterday, I hope you haven't closed the ticket just yet smile

So I think it is mitigation rather than a fix, perhaps they keep rebooting the troublesome card enough times that all traffic fails over to other cards/ports and the problem is much reduced, then as things balance out again the issue returns.

I'd certainly want to go at least 24 hours without seeing massive spikes before I would think it is fixed.

If you look at pheasants BQM on the other gateway, it's a world away to what we have!

Edited by E300 (Tue 03-Nov-20 11:05:12)

(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 11:09:31
Print Post

Forget my last post - big spike currently - knocked out my background radio streaming for a few seconds like last week.

(newbie) Tue 03-Nov-20 11:15:41
Print Post

Big spike at 11am and indeed some packet loss in my graph:

Standard User Ixel
(committed) Tue 03-Nov-20 11:15:46
Print Post

Same here, virtually stopped me using the internet. seems to be an ongoing problem.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 11:17:36
Print Post

Special? Hmmm yeah I’m not so sure about that smile

Just fired up a BQM on the ‘secondary’ gateway:

“Secondary” Gateway 46.37.56.2

“Primary” Gateway 46.37.48.1
Standard User E300
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 11:19:35
Print Post

Seems quite bad this one. Think I might need to cancel a video call at 11:30, it just doesn't look good when I work in IT and my video or audio keeps dropping out. frown
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Tue 03-Nov-20 11:25:56
Print Post

Yeah I can imagine, thankfully no meetings scheduled here at the moment. I've officially opened a ticket so I'll see what they come back with. I've pointed them to my BQM graph and the forum thread.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Tue 03-Nov-20 13:03:30
Print Post

Just had a full outage for a few minutes, a reboot of the EdgeRouter resolved it though. I'm on gateway 46.37.56.2 now.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 03-Nov-20 13:06:05
Print Post

Pheasant

If it is what I suspect I know how to find it BUT it can be long winded.

Each card on the router needs to be taken OOS whilst monitoring for 2 hours. If/when fault repeats put that card back IS and take the next OOS. Repeat for all cards in the routing until you find the dodgy one. IF you are lucky the first card will be the dodgy one if not so lucky the dodgy card will be it's resilient pair and you will lose service completely until you return the OOS card to service BUT you then know which card to replace.

People don't like to do it as you have a risk of a service break.

If left, eventually the dodgy card will break terminally and you find your fault.

I once was tracking a similar fault when it disappeared and I noticed a router card had gone faulty and the fault reported as "not service affecting" as the resilient card took over. Cured the issue I was looking at instantly! ( Try explaining that to a senior manager!)
Standard User E300
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 13:17:42
Print Post

Wonder if they are dropping the PPP to force us to connect back up to the other gateway, and are moving people across one by one? Although you'd think they'd check first or do it out of hours, so maybe it was something else that caused your disconnection and we are getting the other gateway on the next PPP session?

When I finish work I will drop the PPP and reconnect and see if I get the other gateway as well.

Edit, have the answer, they are disconnecting us and so forcing a new PPP, it has just happen to me now and my gateway is 46.37.56.2. I suspect your Edgerouter didn't take kindly to the drop and so didn't restart PPP, but on pfSense it was pretty seamless.

Edited by E300 (Tue 03-Nov-20 13:21:00)

Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Nov-20 13:22:26
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

I have been seeing pretty much the same as the other posters with improved performance but still not as clean as it was before last Friday.

I have just had my PPP session drop and re-establish via the different gateway - 46.37.56.2, this happened at 13:14:08, will keep an eye on performance.

Performance before (and after) the drop was fine; so I would suspect that Cerberus dropped the session deliberately.

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Tue 03-Nov-20 13:36:09
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

Intermittent Latency Issue
Posted 03-11-2020 12:59:52
We are aware that some of our customers are still experiencing intermittent latency on their connections. We have narrowed down the issue and our team are working on resolving this as an urgent priority.

We are also taking interim steps to mitigate the impact of the wider issue.

We apologise for the inconvenience. Further updates will follow as they become available.

Also had a response to my ticket telling me they are aware of this issue and are working on it. Sounds hopeful.

Wonder if they are dropping the PPP to force us to connect back up to the other gateway, and are moving people across one by one? Although you'd think they'd check first or do it out of hours, so maybe it was something else that caused your disconnection and we are getting the other gateway on the next PPP session?

When I finish work I will drop the PPP and reconnect and see if I get the other gateway as well.

Edit, have the answer, they are disconnecting us and so forcing a new PPP, it has just happen to me now and my gateway is 46.37.56.2. I suspect your Edgerouter didn't take kindly to the drop and so didn't restart PPP, but on pfSense it was pretty seamless.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, strange though as a script should run in the event of a PPP drop. Oh well, if it happens again I'll have to look into why that's not being handled by the EdgeRouter.

Edited by Ixel (Tue 03-Nov-20 13:37:43)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Nov-20 13:39:15
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

This looks like it could be more than a single faulty card.

Every Cerberus customer on here (excluding candlerb) appears to be suffering from this.

Cerberus have reiterated numerous times this affects a small section of their user base but this thread suggests the opposite.
Unless of course it's a huge coincidence that all the active Cerberus posters on this forum are all on the defective kit.

Cerberus don't appear to have diagnostics/monitoring in place to pick this up or they wouldn't have tried to insist the issue is resolved.
Standard User E300
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 16:15:38
Print Post

What is going on with Cerberus? I'm not sure if this is another problem with Cerberus or something local to me.

Seeing everyone's well behaved graphs since the gateway change, I've been watching mine, whilst no repeat of the high latency issues since the change of gateway, look at the general jitter (yellow) on my chart with a step change to being worse after the gateway switch, not exactly stellar performance is it and so different to everyone else's. The IPv6 BQM prior to all this was absolutely fine.

IPv6 BQM

So I thought lets set up a BQM to my IPv4 address, and as can be seen this looks perfect matching everyone elses.

IPv4 BQM

So I now have generally poor performing IPv6 which looks very much like congestion whilst IPv4 is completely the opposite. Could someone else setup a IPv6 BQM to see if they get the same thing?

Edited by E300 (Tue 03-Nov-20 16:19:16)

Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Nov-20 16:22:05
Print Post

Since my gateway change it's looking normal on both IPv4 and IPv6 - both BQMs have been running all through and have followed each other exactly - ie. the problem appears to be lower down the stack.

To me it looks to be resolved (for my link) since the gateway move but I will keep my ticket open for another 24 hours.

wink Comms is hard wink

Edited by JonRennie (Tue 03-Nov-20 16:23:10)

(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 16:22:35
Print Post

Yes same here - IPv6 BQM is showing continuous high latency whereas IPv4 is perfectly flat as expected.

Standard User E300
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 16:31:31
Print Post

Thanks for the confirmation, so something again Cerberus side.

I wonder if this is because more people are on this gateway and more traffic is IPv6 than IPv4 and it's not coping too well? Seems unlikely IPv6 traffic would be so much more.

I also notice single thread speed test is lower and more variable now on IPv6 than IPv4, nothing terrible, but this gateway switch seems to have introduced it's own issues.

Guess we need to wait until we hear the original problem is fixed and presumably we switch back for normal service to be resumed.

Edited by E300 (Tue 03-Nov-20 16:32:21)

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 17:27:09
Print Post

I had a long conversation with Syed Qayum in their networks team this morning and am holding my ticket open until my service including baseline ping time is restored to its previous level before the fault occurred.

I’m led to understand the second gateway is an interim measure until they resolve the root cause affecting the primary gateway.

Edit: I did also mention that their wider comms and status update on the issue, could be vastly improved and he took that onboard and assured me they this issue was now front and centre and they were focussed on getting it resolved.

I’ve seen an update now been posted on their service status page, mid day today, perhaps a coincidence...

https://www.cerberusnetworks.co.uk/support/service-s...

Edited by Pheasant (Tue 03-Nov-20 17:36:55)

Standard User E300
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 17:45:59
Print Post

Thanks again for following this up for us and the updates. Do they know their interim measure is atrocious with IPv6 that's not really proving much of an improvement, but its fantastic at old school IPv4, definitely a Jekyll and Hyde of a gateway this stand in.

Lets hope they find the cause soon.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 17:51:00
Print Post

Apologies no I can’t tell you for certain they do, as I spoke to him around 11:45 this morning while on site, and wasn’t aware then of the ipv6 issues on the replacement gateway...
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Tue 03-Nov-20 18:11:03
Print Post

The service status update occurred a few minutes after I had a reply to my new ticket this morning, possibly a coincidence but either way I'm optimistic this will be resolved soon.
Standard User E300
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 18:43:15
Print Post

There is another update on the service status page:

We will be carrying out maintenance on the network to resolve the latency issues that some clients using broadband services are experiencing. The work will be conducted at the following date and time:

Wednesday 04/11/2020 04:00AM 05:00AM

So sounds like they have found the problem or think they have, guess we will find out tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Standard User imnotarobotstill
(newbie) Tue 03-Nov-20 19:03:28
Print Post

I just filled in a million captchas to create an account so that I could reply to this thread.

Yes, I'm with Cerberus and my FTTP started with the high latency and packet loss for a couple of hours, followed by an OK period of the same kind of length before repeating constantly.

I didn't raise a ticket because I thought it was being caused by idiots trying to brute force my SMTP. It began @ 10am last Thursday and peaked over the weekend. It's still a bit ropey now, but nothing like as bad as it was.
BQM
So add me to the list of affected customers.
I setup a BQM on 46.37.32.22 and it wasn't suffering at all, which convinced me it was the Russians hammering my mailserver that was causing it.
I checked the Cerberus network status page and there was no mention of any problems, again reinforcing my beliefs.
I'm glad it isn't just me being plagued by some bored hackers, and if it flares up again, I'll be raising a ticket.

Edited by imnotarobotstill (Tue 03-Nov-20 19:07:16)

Standard User E300
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 19:29:31
Print Post

[re: imnotarobotstill] [link to this post]

This is the reason timely updates to service status pages are really important, hopefully Cerberus will be a bit more pro-active next time. I actually did think the same as you initially in that perhaps I was being hit by a denial of service attack so was pleased others reported the exact same thing when I put up the post.

Thanks for adding your experience to the thread, keep checking here tomorrow to see if it is fixed.
Standard User E300
(member) Wed 04-Nov-20 09:26:54
Print Post

Cerberus have updated their status page with the following:

The maintenance planned this morning was successfully carried out.

However, after further observation, there is still evidence of some sporadic latency on the network affecting some users. We therefore continue to work on isolating and fixing the outstanding issues.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this disruption to normal service.

So still appears the gremlin is hanging on in there. I bet when they find the faulty bit of kit someone gives it a kickingsmile
(newbie) Wed 04-Nov-20 10:21:09
Print Post

It's worse this morning than before!

frown
Standard User E300
(member) Wed 04-Nov-20 10:39:14
Print Post

Have you raised a ticket? I think most of us here have been moved to a different gateway, so perhaps they have only moved those that have raised a ticket?

The gateway most of us here seem to have been moved to is 46.37.56.2, its excellent on IPv4 but IPv6 leaves a lot to be desired but at least doesn't have the huge swings like they are trying to fix.
(learned) Wed 04-Nov-20 10:44:12
Print Post

I was trying to avoid raising another ticket as I already have two ongoing issues (sigh), so I switched back to BT FTTC assuming that this would be relatively quickly resolved for everybody. Not a good assumption, it turns out...
Standard User E300
(member) Wed 04-Nov-20 11:36:26
Print Post

Worth keeping an eye on your chart as there is a further update which hopefully has sorted it this time.

After further troubleshooting, we have made progress diagnosing the source of the intermittent latency issue and have implemented an interim solution. We will continue to monitor network performance closely to confirm that this has been effective.

We will be performing further non-service-affecting maintenance later today that should provide a permanent fix.

I read that as they are pretty sure they have found the faulty part and removed it from the equation and if all is okay they know what they need to replace.
(learned) Wed 04-Nov-20 11:39:05
Print Post

Thanks for the update. Let's hope. Looking forward to seeing a flat sea of green and the end of this chapter!
Standard User tdw42
(member) Wed 04-Nov-20 12:42:54
Print Post

One connection on 46.37.56.2 since 06:23 this morning. The other still on 46.37.48.1 since 04:31 after a PPPoE session drop lasting around 8 minutes.

Still seeing bursts of bad latency on both, appears to be worse on the connection using the original gateway.
(learned) Wed 04-Nov-20 14:19:59
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

Bad one just now on my connection (latency + dropped packets) and also showing on the monitor that was set up on the gateway 46.37.48.1:

I am also now speaking with support on this. Hadn't expected it to rumble on for a week (well, a week come tomorrow).
Standard User E300
(member) Wed 04-Nov-20 14:30:36
Print Post

Yes does seem to be another bad blip although doesn't follow the same pattern we've seen before where it's stuck around for 30+ minutes, so they might just be running some tests or switching things in and out. Having said that it's not good if they are doing tests with customers on the connection during the working day. Maybe they can swap you to the other gateway the rest of us are on?
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Nov-20 15:35:49
Print Post

You can add me to the affected connections too.

Mike
(learned) Wed 04-Nov-20 17:04:04
Print Post

Yes does seem to be another bad blip although doesn't follow the same pattern we've seen before where it's stuck around for 30+ minutes, so they might just be running some tests or switching things in and out. Having said that it's not good if they are doing tests with customers on the connection during the working day. Maybe they can swap you to the other gateway the rest of us are on?

They may be getting on top of this. As you say, the 2pm spike is different from the others and perhaps represents maintenance work. Since then we've had 3 hours and counting of stability on the gateway:

Standard User E300
(member) Wed 04-Nov-20 17:07:29
Print Post

Service status update so hopefully @shortshrift27 your connection should be good now.

We have now carried out the maintenance to apply a permanent fix for the latency issues experienced by some broadband customers. The network is currently operating normally. We are closely monitoring network performance and will continue to do so for the next 48 hours.

To optimise the network further, we will be carrying out planned maintenance on

Saturday 07/11/2020 04:00 AM to 05:00 AM

They have found the issue and those of us moved to the other gateway will be moved back Saturday morning during the maintenance window.
(learned) Wed 04-Nov-20 17:09:45
Print Post

Yup, right now it's looking promising!
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Wed 04-Nov-20 18:41:20
Print Post

I’d just like to thank @Mr Saffron and the thinkbroadband crew for providing such useful BQM tools for us to helpfully diagnose our connections (and provide substantive and helpful information to Cerberus Networks!).

Big thanks Andrew!
Standard User E300
(member) Thu 05-Nov-20 10:23:47
Print Post

I second that, without tools such as these it would be very much harder for us the customer to push towards a resolution.

The troublesome gateway pings look good now, no sign of the repeating latency issue, be interesting to hear what it was in the end. Looking forward to getting back on the original gateway now as IPv6 currently on this substitute gateway is useable but not brilliant, seems to be congestion that ramps up during the working day. Although seems better today, presumably because offices are shut with the lock down and more are working from home on their residential service.
(newbie) Thu 05-Nov-20 16:56:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
I’d just like to thank @Mr Saffron and the thinkbroadband crew for providing such useful BQM tools for us to helpfully diagnose our connections (and provide substantive and helpful information to Cerberus Networks!).

Big thanks Andrew!

I'll third that.
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Thu 05-Nov-20 18:14:38
Print Post

I've been really bad all Day, lots of Yellow and very slow on the speedtest

Standard User E300
(member) Fri 06-Nov-20 09:52:16
Print Post

I've been really bad all Day, lots of Yellow and very slow on the speedtest

Your issue appears to be something different to the original problem and you have lots of packet loss as well.

What gateway do Cerberus have you connected to? Is the chart pinging IPv4 or your IPv6 address? Are the pings direct to your router?
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Nov-20 10:31:22
Print Post

FWIW, I enabled the TBB BQM for my line yesterday, both v4 and v6.

What I see is:
- lots of yellow on the IPv6 address
- occasional yellow spikes on the IPv4 address (coinciding with similar on the IPv6)

If I understand the BQM service description correctly, the yellow line gives the maximum RTT out of 100 pings, so in effect it's the 99th percentile.

This doesn't match with my own measurements. For example, trying 500 pings to Google's IPv6 DNS over 100 seconds:

Text
[email protected]:~# ping6 -q -i0.2 -c500 2001:4860:4860::8888
PING 2001:4860:4860::8888(2001:4860:4860::8888) 56 data bytes 
--- 2001:4860:4860::8888 ping statistics ---500 packets transmitted, 500 received, 0% packet loss, time 100035ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.783/5.166/5.388/0.081 ms

You can see average 5.166 and maximum 5.388 - this is extremely flat and consistent.

However, if I do the same to 2a02:68:1::164 which is the address I see the TBB BQM measurements coming in from:

Text
[email protected]:~# ping6 -q -i0.2 -c500 2a02:68:1::164
PING 2a02:68:1::164(2a02:68:1::164) 56 data bytes 
--- 2a02:68:1::164 ping statistics ---500 packets transmitted, 500 received, 0% packet loss, time 100193ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.964/5.349/33.999/3.083 ms

And again:

Text
[email protected]:~# ping6 -q -i0.2 -c500 2a02:68:1::164
--- 2a02:68:1::164 ping statistics ---500 packets transmitted, 500 received, 0% packet loss, time 100193ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.040/5.709/38.884/3.948 ms

There are your spikes: peaks in the region of 34-39ms.

Repeating the Google test again:

Text
[email protected]:~# ping6 -q -i0.2 -c500 2001:4860:4860::8888
--- 2001:4860:4860::8888 ping statistics ---500 packets transmitted, 500 received, 0% packet loss, time 100059ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.677/5.170/6.801/0.137 ms

Still flat as a pancake.

Therefore, it seems likely that the current BQM spikiness issue is either with the transit/peering between Cerberus and TBB's upstream ISP (NetConnex AS21396), or with the TBB monitoring.

Seeing some IPv6 BQM results for non-Cerberus endpoints would help, so I've just added one for the Google IPv6 DNS address: live graph here and it looks very flat so far.

For me, traceroute to Google and to TBB both goes via the same LINX peering subnet, 2001:7f8:4:1::X:X. It's possible the return traffic is taking a different path though.

This may or may not be the same issue as the one seen last week, where people were affected by serious loss and latency in real-world applications (e.g. VOIP). Given that Cerberus users' BQM graphs were flat before, it seems likely that it's a lesser version of the same issue.
(learned) Fri 06-Nov-20 10:41:54
Print Post

Excellent observations! But I would note that the TBB BQM graph for the Cerberus gateway that originally failed is now flat:

Edited by shortshrift27 (Fri 06-Nov-20 10:43:43)

Standard User E300
(member) Fri 06-Nov-20 10:46:12
Print Post

Yes IPv6 on the temporary gateway we've been swapped to is seemingly congested, flat green overnight rising up during the day and falling again. It's been a bit better since lock down which I guess is because some businesses have closed and staff are at home on more residential ISPs.

The IPv4 temporary gateway is as flat as a pancake though for me.

Are your BQMs to the temporary gateway we've been swapped to?

My IPv6 to gateway 46.37.56.2 (Gateway we were moved to)

IPv4 to gateway 46.37.56.2 (Gateway we were moved to)

Note the large spike at around 4:45pm on both of my charts was me dropping WAN then connecting again, just to see if I went back to the fixed gateway yet.

Before the latency issue on the original gateway IPv6 was quite flat.

For @lincsat their issue seems completely different to anything we've seen recently, certainly not related to the latency spikes.

Edited by E300 (Fri 06-Nov-20 10:52:15)

Standard User E300
(member) Fri 06-Nov-20 11:08:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by shortshrift27:
Excellent observations! But I would note that the TBB BQM graph for the Cerberus gateway that originally failed is now flat:

Yes definitely looking fixed now and you couldn't get much better, looks like the gateway and the Thinkbroadband monitor are in the same building smile
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Nov-20 11:28:12
Print Post

Are your BQMs to the temporary gateway we've been swapped to?

I'm on 46.37.48.1

Text
> /interface pppoe-client monitor 0
    active-links: 1        encoding:
    service-name:         ac-name: acc-aln2.sv
          ac-mac: 14:7B:AC:B2:F7:12             mtu: 1500
             mru: 1500   local-address: x.x.x.x
  remote-address: 46.37.48.1

(Session uptime because I was kicked off during the maintenance around 04:23-04:31am on 4th Nov)
Standard User E300
(member) Fri 06-Nov-20 11:45:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
I'm on 46.37.48.1

Ah so on the fixed original one.

Odd you have those bottom to top spikes now and again, those don't show on the BQM against the gateway itself, perhaps something more local to you?

It's disappointing to see so much yellow on IPv6 on the original gateway during the day, I was hoping it was just the one we were switched to, perhaps a bit overloaded because it has more on there than normal. IPv6 didn't look like that before these issues on the original gateway, it was pretty flat, but now appears congested.

Although... is the IPv4 gateway address a good indicator of the IPv6 gateway, i.e. are they always in a pair or could they be completely different gateways? For example they have moved your IPv6 to a different gateway, but IPv4 has remained where it was? I only see a local IPv6 address for my gateway in pfSense, it did change at the swap over from what it was before, currently it is fe80::72e4:22ff:fed3:8c00.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Nov-20 12:13:24
Print Post

Although... is the IPv4 gateway address a good indicator of the IPv6 gateway, i.e. are they always in a pair or could they be completely different gateways? For example they have moved your IPv6 to a different gateway, but IPv4 has remained where it was?

It's a single PPPoE session, so both v4 and v6 must terminate on a single device.

I only see a local IPv6 address for my gateway in pfSense, it did change at the swap over from what it was before, currently it is fe80::72e4:22ff:fed3:8c00.

That's a link-local IPv6 address, derived from MAC address 70:e4:22:d3:8c:00 - and 70:e4:22 is a Cisco MAC address block.

Interestingly, the peer I see is 14:7B:AC which is Nokia.
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Fri 06-Nov-20 13:01:54
Print Post

I disabled IPv6 last Week when the issues started, I'm on the 46.37.56.2 gateway. It did settle down a lot in the early Hours

Here is the snapshot from the 4th where this latest bad connection started

Standard User E300
(member) Fri 06-Nov-20 13:17:23
Print Post

Your issues do not look like anything we've seen during the problem Cerberus had and it's not what I'm seeing on the same gateway as you with IPv4 that is just green flat land.

The large amount of packet loss you were having yesterday and high latency seems to me to have been a fault local to you that then got fixed in the early hours. You still have a lot of yellow but better now as all the packet loss has gone so I expect the connection is working fine for you. The yellow can be caused by you just using your connection or by a router giving packets a low priority as well as congestion. Do you have any charts from a while back you can compare to in order to see if this is typical or not for you?

I would suggest waiting to see what happens when you move back to the fixed gateway (assuming we all do move back) and then if issues persist raise a ticket. It does seem likely though it is a problem more local to you, perhaps capacity issues somewhere that might suddenly go away when extra capacity gets added.
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Fri 06-Nov-20 13:22:19
Print Post

I assumed this latest issue was down to them moving everyone to the same gateway and now they are moving people away. Everything seems to be working OK.

Here is a graph from a Month ago showing how flat it used to be

Standard User E300
(member) Fri 06-Nov-20 13:31:47
Print Post

I'm on the same gateway as you and my IPv4 chart is just green, so for you to be seeing all that extra yellow means it is likely happening outside of Cerberus control. It might be that the fault you had yesterday meant somewhere some capacity has been lost until a permanent fix is made.

IPv4 on 46.37.56.2
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Fri 06-Nov-20 14:34:02
Print Post

I've disabled IPv6 for now due to a router configuration problem of some kind that I need to figure out in my free time. In the meantime I'll setup a Smokeping instance on my Unraid server to ping a variety of destinations regularly, instead of solely rely on TTB's BQM.
Standard User E300
(member) Fri 06-Nov-20 14:47:55
Print Post

According to Cerberus status page the maintenance is not taking place this weekend now but delayed a week.

I'm not sure if this maintenance was to move us back to the fixed gateway or something else, but anyway I'm still on the temporary gateway, or is it permanent now?

Update 06-11-2020 12:53:57
The planned maintenance planned for

Saturday 07/11/2020 04:00 AM to 05:00 AM

has been postponed by one week and will now take place:

Saturday 14/11/2020 04:00 AM to 05:00 AM

During this time, for short periods, some connections may experience minor sporadic packet loss. We apologise for any inconvenience. Please call our 24x7 Support Team on 0345 257 1335 or email us at [email protected] if you require technical support.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Fri 06-Nov-20 15:14:44
Print Post

I'm still on the other gateway. I don't know if it's permanent.
(newbie) Fri 06-Nov-20 22:56:49
Print Post

I'm on 46.37.48.1, and the cyclic latency spikes of last week have stopped now.
All looks good from here. BQM
I don't have ipv6, I didn't even realise it was an option.
Although my nat router doesn't even support ipv6, so it's not really an issue.
I hate captcha
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Nov-20 08:09:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by imnotarobotstill:

What model of router, out of interest?
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Nov-20 10:27:29
Print Post

I lost my PPP session at 23:57 last night and it didn't recover until 00:10; I have reconnected via the 'new' gateway as before and the stats still look good.

This may have been a local issue for me.

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Sat 07-Nov-20 13:44:57
Print Post

My problems started again at 7am, so if Cerberus are not doing maintenance Today, looks like there is another issue

Standard User E300
(member) Sat 07-Nov-20 14:05:57
Print Post

My problems started again at 7am, so if Cerberus are not doing maintenance Today, looks like there is another issue

Not seeing anything like that here. I don't think this is an issue as such with Cerberus but something local to you or an actual fault on your fibre. You shouldn't be getting packet loss like that.

All you can do is raise it as a fault with Cerberus, they should be able to get Openreach to do some diagnostics.
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Sat 07-Nov-20 14:10:55
Print Post

I have added it to the ticket on cerberus but I'm due to migrate to Trunk networks next Week, so will see what happens. If faults persist then it's obviously not a Cerberus issue.
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sat 07-Nov-20 14:24:20
Print Post

I have added it to the ticket on cerberus but I'm due to migrate to Trunk networks next Week, so will see what happens. If faults persist then it's obviously not a Cerberus issue.

Trunk Networks - great ISP, one of the best around 👌

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
(newbie) Sat 07-Nov-20 18:23:02
Print Post

It's a Technicolor TG582n running 8.4.4.J.AM firmware.
I use it because it has an excellent configurable firewall that can be driven from the CLI, and not some limited, buggy, tick a box, GUI.
I tried another one with the v.10 firmware that does do ipv6, but I couldn't get on with it for some reason, so swapped back to this one, until I find time to fiddle with the other one some more.

Does everyone have to fill in ten different captcha s to post on here, or is it just me?
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Nov-20 18:32:13
Print Post

It's a Technicolor TG582n running 8.4.4.J.AM firmware.

Interesting. That was the old router Plusnet supplied to me years ago, but I sent it back for recycling when they sent me a new Sagem router (which I also don't want or use, but keep so that I can plug it in if there's a line fault).

Does everyone have to fill in ten different captcha s to post on here, or is it just me?

I get one very rarely. Have you blocked cookies?
(newbie) Sat 07-Nov-20 20:33:02
Print Post

No, I have cookies, I never have captchas on BQM page, just the forum.
It wouldn't be so bad if I could see them, but the quality of the pictures reminds me of 8 bit gifs from a zx81, and they are so small I can barely make out what is a bus or a lorry.
It's not like there's one to fill in, it's a seemingly endless stream of them; I tried counting one time, but lost count after 8 or so because a tractor went past and broke my concentration.
As I'm typing this, the "I'm not a robot" box is sat at the bottom of the screen waiting for me to tick the damn box frown

I've managed to half the number of captchas by skipping the post preview step and just going direct to post, not ideal, but I've got better things to do with my time than clicking sidewalks, bicycles, traffic lights, crosswalks, cars, fire hydrants, boats, busses and trucks!

So the first one is click the parking meter, someone's having a laugh.
Standard User E300
(member) Mon 09-Nov-20 17:00:00
Print Post

Be interested to hear how you get on with Trunk Networks.

Do we know what backhaul Cerberus have us on?
Standard User E300
(member) Mon 09-Nov-20 17:01:14
Print Post

Never any Captchas here either now, but I did to start with, think as time goes by you become a trusted user and the Captchas go.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Tue 10-Nov-20 00:55:26
Print Post

Isn't it BT Wholesale?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Nov-20 05:40:40
Print Post

Do we know what backhaul Cerberus have us on?

I believe all their FTTPoD customers are on BT Wholesale backhaul.

They also use Talktalk Business backhaul for other services.

https://www.cerberusnetworks.co.uk/connectivity

Broadband
From ADSL to Bonded FTTC, G.Fast and Gigabit FTTP, Cerberus provides an industry-leading suite or suite of business-ready broadband services based on nationwide networks from BT and TalkTalk Business. From home workers to SMEs, our broadband services provide fast, affordable connectivity across the UK.
Standard User E300
(member) Tue 10-Nov-20 08:23:58
Print Post

Thanks for the info, just wanted to know because I'm thinking of switching to IDNet, they have a 1000/115 product for a bit cheaper than the Cerberus 450/75 so gets me a nice boost to upload speeds. Their backhaul I believe is Zen, TalkTalk or BT Wholesale. Just keen to avoid Zen from past experience and wondered if I might already be on Zen backhaul with Cerberus. Not sure if I can specify a backhaul preference with IDNet?

Given the recent issues with Cerberus (not really fixed for me as I'm on the other gateway still with less than stellar IPv6 performance) and the struggle it seemed to get them to accept there was this ongoing issue (thank goodness for this forum and strength in numbers), I'm not sure it is worth paying a premium for.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Tue 10-Nov-20 08:39:01
Print Post

Maybe given IDNet a call and see if another backhaul is an option. I imagine TalkTalk Business isn't an option yet, mainly because I don't think they sell the 1000/115 package (yet?). I've had some troubling experiences with Zen's backhaul too so I don't blame you for wanting to avoid that. Then again BT Wholesale might be the only option they currently use for FTTP 1000/115.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Nov-20 08:44:54
Print Post

It's definitely worth asking them.
A few of the smaller ISP's do indeed let you choose which backhaul provider you're provisioned on. Some even let you switch between them mid contract.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Nov-20 08:51:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ixel:
I imagine TalkTalk Business isn't an option yet, mainly because I don't think they sell the 1000/115 package (yet?).

Highland76 is on 1000/115 with Talktalk business (directly from them).
I think it's just Talktalk retail who are yet to launch 1 gig packages.

It might well be area dependant.

Talktalk are unable to sell me any FTTP on my exchange.
They might be wholesaling backhaul for other ISP's on my exchange though.
No idea to be honest.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Tue 10-Nov-20 19:46:13
Print Post

My connection and both gateways (the original .48.1 and the spun up .56.2) appear have been flat as pancakes for days which is really good.

I'm still on the .56.2 gateway so my baseline ping is around 9ms and previously it was 6ms. Presumably this is due to different routing or backhaul on the gateways. It's no great shakes, but obv. would be better to have the original lower baseline ping.

Hopefully that will be restored when we move back to the initial primary gateway.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Nov-20 20:01:12
Print Post

There is still something very weird going on. My IPv6 BQM graph is now showing substantial amounts of blue (average latency increase) as well as tons of yellow (peak latency), but I don't really notice anything wrong in practice.

Testing with pings, to Google IPv6 it's as flat as a pancake at 5ms latency:

Text
[email protected]:~# ping6 -q -c100 -i0.1 2001:4860:4860::8888
--- 2001:4860:4860::8888 ping statistics ---100 packets transmitted, 100 received, 0% packet loss, time 9943ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.981/5.175/5.390/0.125 ms

But to the BQM server it's terrible: average latency 33ms and highly variable

Text
[email protected]:~# ping6 -q -c100 -i0.1 -c500 2a02:68:1::164
--- 2a02:68:1::164 ping statistics ---500 packets transmitted, 500 received, 0% packet loss, time 50184ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.357/33.327/115.437/19.528 ms, pipe 2[email protected]:~#

Trying to another destination, one of bytemark's nameservers:

Text
[email protected]:~# ping6 -q -c100 -i0.1 a.ns.bytemark.co.uk.
PING a.ns.bytemark.co.uk.(a.ns.bytemark.co.uk (2001:41c8:2::3)) 56 data bytes 
--- a.ns.bytemark.co.uk. ping statistics ---100 packets transmitted, 100 received, 0% packet loss, time 9977ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 9.607/9.827/10.132/0.164 ms

That's perfectly flat too (higher average latency, since their data centre is further up North, but that's just the laws of Physics)

I can't help thinking that:

1. This is nothing to do with Cerberus' BRASes - since a BRAS problem would affect all destinations, not just some
2. It must be a network problem do with transit to specific sites only (including TBB BQM)
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Tue 10-Nov-20 22:46:16
Print Post

Is this only apparent with IPv6?
Standard User E300
(member) Wed 11-Nov-20 08:15:27
Print Post

I've been seeing the same thing on this gateway we were moved to. IPv4 is flat but IPv6 shows congestion somewhere, flat overnight then rising during the day.

IPv6 on gateway 46.37.56.2

IPv6 on the original gateway immediately before the issues was flat.

Speed tests using Thinkbroadband and switching between an IPv6 and IPv4 test shows IPv6 often coming in slower on the single tests, nothing major but reflects what is seen on the BQM, so something somewhere on IPv6 is running pretty close or at capacity. This is hopefully temporary until we are swapped back to the original gateway, annoyingly delayed by a week.

I've pretty much decided I'm leaving Cerberus next month as my first year ends and I've paid my first year FTTPoD premium, I don't mind paying more if I feel like I'm getting more, but I haven't felt that has been the case these last couple weeks and we still haven't been reinstated back to as it was before.
Standard User E300
(member) Wed 11-Nov-20 08:16:29
Print Post

@Pheasant yes only apparent on IPv6 on 46.37.56.2, IPv4 is flat as a pancake.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Nov-20 08:30:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
Is this only apparent with IPv6?

Yes. Testing to the two TBB endpoints (2a02:68:1::164 and 80.249.99.164), with "ping[6] -q -c100 -i0.1" - during the day v6 has high variability and peak RTT, but v4 is flat as a pancake.
(member) Wed 11-Nov-20 09:24:13
Print Post

I was moved back to the 46.37.48.1 gateway a few days ago and my IPv6 BQM is still showing bad latency between 8am and midnight. My IPv4 BQM is perfectly fine. I haven't noticed any real world latency issues but I still have an open ticket with Cerberus.

Standard User E300
(member) Wed 11-Nov-20 09:35:55
Print Post

Thanks for the info, so it is not just this gateway some of us found ourselves switched to. Maybe the work delayed to the 14th Nov will add or switch back in some more capacity.
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Wed 11-Nov-20 12:50:09
Print Post

I got moved to the 46.37.48.1 gateway Yesterday and my IPv4 has been great ever since. I haven't reactivated IPv6 yet as due to migrate to Trunk Tomorrow.
Standard User E300
(member) Wed 11-Nov-20 14:11:51
Print Post

Yes IPv4 is fine, just IPv6 showing what appears to be a capacity issue.

Do let us know how you get on with Trunk Networks. I was looking at their products, the only negative for me is the 24 month contract.
Standard User E300
(member) Wed 11-Nov-20 17:16:06
Print Post

Not sure if anyone knows...

My first year of FTTPoD with Cerberus is up at the end of December. I'm keen to try and migrate to another supplier before the end date just to avoid Christmas/bank holidays should I get any issues.

So if I buy FTTP with another supplier a couple of weeks before my year is up, does this cause any particular issue? I know I would lose a couple of weeks with Cerberus and need to pay the whole of the final month regardless, but given it would still technically be in the first year of being FTTPoD by a couple of weeks, I wondered if a migration would be blocked because of that, or is it already considered native FTTP?
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Wed 11-Nov-20 17:35:50
Print Post

You can migrate anytime on a FoD service, whether on day 1 or day 365 of your 12 month min term, as long as you pay off any remaining days or months if applicable. Migrating at the end of your eleventh month is probably the sensible thing to do.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Wed 11-Nov-20 18:04:54
Print Post

I got moved to the 46.37.48.1 gateway Yesterday and my IPv4 has been great ever since. I haven't reactivated IPv6 yet as due to migrate to Trunk Tomorrow.

Been asked by Cerberus Support this afternoon if its OK to close my ticket. I said not yet, at least until I'm returned to gateway .48.1 and my baseline ping on IPv4 returns to what it had been prior to the incident and I see 72 hours of stable service.

As they've just postponed the planned changes now until Saturday 14/11, going to keep my ticket open until Tuesday/Wednesday of the following week and see where stuff is at.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Thu 12-Nov-20 16:09:28
Print Post

They've dropped me back to the initial gateway now. Loh and behold my minimum baseline pings have step changed back to where they were before all this.

I'll keep any eye on things, but will look to close the ticket in 72 hours if all is stable.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Thu 12-Nov-20 16:23:02
Print Post

I was moved back to the 46.37.48.1 gateway a few days ago and my IPv6 BQM is still showing bad latency between 8am and midnight. My IPv4 BQM is perfectly fine. I haven't noticed any real world latency issues but I still have an open ticket with Cerberus.

Yes IPv4 is fine, just IPv6 showing what appears to be a capacity issue.

Do let us know how you get on with Trunk Networks. I was looking at their products, the only negative for me is the 24 month contract.

Cerberus are claiming as of 8:40 this morning, that they only have 2 open tickets on the IPv6 issue - not that this is any measure of how widespread the problem necessary is:

"We have till now received only 2 Ipv6 report for erratic ping/latency. We had discussed this with Network team and couldn’t find any specific issues for Ipv6. Still, will double check and update further. Also, will update once gateway is changed back to primary gateway (46.37.48.1)."

Hopefully any changes made this Saturday can resolve this for you guys.
Standard User E300
(member) Thu 12-Nov-20 16:56:50
Print Post

@Phesant I've not specifically opened a ticket about the IPv6 issue, but same high latency peaks and generally seems to be congestion given how flat it goes overnight. IPv4 remains flat.

IPv6 Latency

I'm leaving Cerberus in the next few weeks hence not raised it as an issue, but the fact they are happy for even a couple of people to be seeing high latency on IPv6 and themselves don't find any issue (well look a bit harder then) is one of the reasons I'm not staying with them. Hopefully whatever is planned for the weekend fixes it.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 16-Nov-20 12:45:32
Print Post

I closed my ticket this morning. All looked good and stable, at least on IPv4, back on the original gateway this last 72+ hours.
Standard User E300
(member) Mon 16-Nov-20 13:12:23
Print Post

That's good news. I didn't see any sign of changes over the weekend here, still on the 46.37.56.2 gateway that still shows evidence of congestion during the day on IPv6 but IPv4 remains flat.

IPv6 on 46.37.56.2

Going to migrate away in a couple of weeks anyway, glad these issues happened now and not having just renewed for 12 months!
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Mon 16-Nov-20 13:27:40
Print Post

I hope the transition to your new supplier goes well.

I'm in contract with Cerberus until July next year, having regraded and renewed mid year. Hopefully the service will now settle back to its usual stable and uneventful past wink
(member) Thu 19-Nov-20 10:08:13
Print Post

It looks like Cerberus have mostly fixed the IPv6 latency issues this morning - my BQM is now showing near normal latency - still spiking slightly above my IPv4 latency but just about acceptable now.

Standard User E300
(member) Thu 19-Nov-20 10:50:04
Print Post

Yes same here, saw some blip just before 3am this morning so points to something being done and today the latency/congestion is looking much better on IPv6.

Edit: They have updated the service status page yesterday afternoon with:

We will be carrying out maintenance work on the network in order to resolve IPv6 latency issues that some clients are experiencing. The work will be conducted at the following time date and time

So they knew of IPv6 problems and ongoing latency issues but said everything was fine in my ticket and closed it.

Edited by E300 (Thu 19-Nov-20 10:55:01)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to