General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User E300
(regular) Sun 01-Nov-20 08:28:17
Print Post

Re: Cerberus FTTP, anyone else having issues?

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

My chart is very much the same as yours. The original problem is still there with this regular repeating period of higher than normal latency, but no where near as bad, but I don't feel confident in Cerberus and their network as their latest service statement says the issue is resolved and they are closing the incident. Clearly whatever was faulty is still faulty and having an affect, yes it may be mitigated and not service affecting now, but there is definitely a weakness in their infrastructure that has not been fixed. Given the impending lock downs and needing a reliable connection and the premium many of us pay for a more business oriented ISP like Cerberus, I'm not impressed they are happy to suggest the issue is resolved when clearly it is still bubbling away..

The incident closed statement may just be poor wording and a break down in communication on their service status page and maybe some scheduled work is planned to swap out some faulty part and get things stable again in the week when parts arrive and we will get a more comprehensive update Monday.

For me I'm coming up to needing to move from FTTPoD first 12 months to a native FTTP product, I was planning on staying with Cerberus but now changing my mind.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

For comparison sakes this is my typical BQM from just before the issues started:

Edited by E300 (Sun 01-Nov-20 08:37:50)

Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 01-Nov-20 08:40:59
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

I feel your frustration. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt over the course of the weekend and see what happens on Monday...

I would recommend you speak directly with Bob Hendy about this if you’re contemplating a move away. I’ve always found Bob extremely polite, helpful, level headed and honest when resolving issues - as you would when you’re speaking to the boss.
Standard User brookheather
(member) Sun 01-Nov-20 11:22:06
Print Post

I had small regular spikes every two hours or so overnight but just noticed a much bigger spike around 11am this morning. Checking my ping log which I've left running I am getting latency of over 100ms on some pings instead of the usual under 4ms. It hasn't affected general browsing or streaming but clearly there is still an issue on their network.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD

Edited by brookheather (Sun 01-Nov-20 11:22:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lincsat
(regular) Sun 01-Nov-20 11:22:43
Print Post

I'm in a similar position with regular spikes still, in one right now but traceroutes look normal and performance seems OK, not tried Voip though..

I had just arranged to migrate from Cerberus to Trunk networks and Cerberus would have got the notification just as their problems started, so at least others having issues calms the conspiracy theorist inside me.
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 01-Nov-20 11:34:10
Print Post

[re: lincsat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lincsat:
I'm in a similar position with regular spikes still, in one right now but traceroutes look normal and performance seems OK, not tried Voip though..

I had just arranged to migrate from Cerberus to Trunk networks and Cerberus would have got the notification just as their problems started, so at least others having issues calms the conspiracy theorist inside me.

Darn! I just knew it was all your fault smile
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 01-Nov-20 11:39:27
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brookheather:
....but just noticed a much bigger spike around 11am this morning. Checking my ping log which I've left running I am getting latency of over 100ms on some pings instead of the usual under 4ms. It hasn't affected general browsing or streaming but clearly there is still an issue on their network.

Yes, seen that too. Just when it looked like things were calming down. They clearly have some sort of workaround / band-aid in place....but to claim its resolved....well I reckon their engineers didn't fancy the overtime / hanging around on a Saturday after they thought they'd resolved it.
Standard User E300
(regular) Sun 01-Nov-20 12:00:47
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

This will come as no surprise really but just to confirm I saw exactly the same spike. I'm on a video conference call later so I hope it behaves itself.

Has anyone tried opening another ticket with them?
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 01-Nov-20 14:07:30
Print Post

Ticket is still open.

They are maintaining that their senior network engineers have resolved the latency issue. I have been asked by their support engineer to setup and share BQM monitoring session for one of their core routers and also a cache, to see if its a 'local' issue....

The core router 46.37.32.14 is showing the periodic latency delay spikes that coincide with what I'm seeing on my connection. I've sent them links to the live graphs. Don't see ant reason why I can't share here too...

thn-core01.cerberus.net.uk (46.37.32.14)

cache0.cerberus.net.uk (46.37.32.22)
Standard User E300
(regular) Sun 01-Nov-20 14:48:45
Print Post

Thank you for the update, very timely as we head into another period of increasing latency looking at BQM and pings, looks like the worst we've seen today so far.

So I've been constantly pinging bbc.co.uk as I saw we were into another high latency period and pings are bouncing about, from 8ms up to 300ms as worst case, and generally a lot of jitter. Pinging 8.8.8.8 was jumping around from 8ms to 164ms and this variance and jitter matches what I'm now seeing from my BQM (and everyone else's sharing here) with some pings >160ms, i.e. off the chart.

46.37.32.22 stays at 8-9ms with 46.37.32.14 being a bit more jittery ranging from 8ms to 19ms and this matches what is seen in their respective BQMs.

Not sure what that proves mind you but it's a bit more data.

Standard User shortshrift27
(newbie) Sun 01-Nov-20 15:05:57
Print Post

Same:

Wonder what's going on!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to