General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Mon 02-Nov-20 19:15:33
Print Post

Re: Cerberus FTTP, anyone else having issues?

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

It's particularly bad again right now. Ping and tracerts seem OK but my Voip isn't registering with the server and even my Android mobile is reporting no internet on the wireless connection
Standard User shortshrift27
(newbie) Mon 02-Nov-20 19:18:49
Print Post

@Pheasant, Many thanks for this update.

I make it 8 user reports from the TBB community:
(1) @E300
(2) @brookheather
(3) @Pheasant
(4) @shortshrift27
(5) @lincsat
(6) @tdw42
(7) @JonRennie
(8) @Ixel

I presume no one impacted sees it as back to normal yet? ( I don't. Better, but not back to normal. My work PC has since Friday been reconnected to my old BT FTTC line, which wasn't what I had in mind when I paid for FoD. smile )
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Mon 02-Nov-20 19:20:34
Print Post

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

My BQM is no different, still impacted by this problem. I apparently had a very minor amount of packet loss earlier too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E300
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 19:42:09
Print Post

@Pheasant, thanks for the update from Bob Hendy, although it frustrates me even more when I read things like that. If there are ongoing issues that they are aware off, at least show that on the service status and make sure your staff are briefed and don't imply issues are fixed when they are known not to be and so enter into pointless ticket tennis. No excuse for his support staff not to have up to date information, they are not hundreds in number.

Just now I've received a reply to my support ticket with the exact same response they have given you asking me to monitor their DNS servers and setup SNMP over WAN? Do I really want to open SNMP to everyone on the Internet, at least let us know what source address/subnet to restrict it to. Also they are asking their customers to use a free resource on Thinkbroadband to monitor the various gateways and DNS servers to help troubleshoot their network issue, it's a bit cheeky when you think about it. Do they not have a Firebrick or similar hosted somewhere offsite outside their own network to do their own monitoring and quality control?
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Mon 02-Nov-20 19:47:43
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

Makes one wonder if they lack crucial diagnostics internally. Surely that's not the case.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Nov-20 20:19:31
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E300:
Do I really want to open SNMP to everyone on the Internet, at least let us know what source address/subnet to restrict it to.

I can answer that one, as I had already set up their interface graphing service, a.k.a. "NetSTATS" (*)

SNMP has to be permitted from 46.37.32.18 and 46.37.33.2. Of course, they'll also need your SNMP community string.

(*) I do my own graphs anyway, but was interested to see what they've implemented. It's Cacti. Cacti just reads the bytes in/out counters every 5 minutes. It won't tell them anything about packet loss or latency.
Standard User brookheather
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 21:10:17
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

I've enabled SNMP on my pfSense router and linked it to their NetStats - can't see anything about latency on their graphs though.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Tue 03-Nov-20 00:50:28
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Incorrect, due to the nature of issues with requirements of telephone/broadband engineers are allowed in to houses on Lockdown 2.0.

They will request you wear a mask and they will wear a mask and they have been advised to stay 2m from the customer.

So you are wrong.... again.....
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 06:42:38
Print Post

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

Well there’s definitely a big improvement since around 11pm (on my connection and 7pm on the main gateway) last night. All the very nasty 160+ ms max. latency spikes seem to have died down to around 20ms worst case. There is still a perceptible recurring pattern of raised latency going on but it’s vastly better.

I also noticed the ‘green’ average baseline latency appears to have increased since around 5am this morning on my connection. I’d estimate by around 50% from the previous and usual level, from what I can see on the BQM graph anyway.

My BQM snapshot: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Main gateway (46.37.48.1) BQM snapshot:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Edited by Pheasant (Tue 03-Nov-20 06:47:43)

Standard User E300
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 08:08:29
Print Post

Yes looking better this morning here as well. The minimum latency is unchanged on my connection but those nasty maximums have been tamed and generally it looks more stable.

Interesting that still there is the pattern present of the original problem, certainly seen quite clearly on the gateway chart. Seems the problem part hasn't been fixed, just further mitigated, but hopefully that brings them closer to finding the actual broken bit of kit. Of course this may be a supplier issue making it harder to diagnose.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

If you look at pheasants BQM, it's a world away to what we are seeing.

Edited by E300 (Tue 03-Nov-20 11:03:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to