General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User garethr
(member) Mon 02-Nov-20 23:32:59
Print Post

Vodafone Giga sllooooooowwww MK

[link to this post]

Hi,

Anyone else using Vodafone Gigafast via CityFibre. I know of quite a few people in my local area (Milton Keynes) that appear to be having massive performance issues.

It is better today as I can get 200-300 up and down but obviously not getting anywhere near the 1 Gbps I'm paying for. Prior to Friday for about a week at peak I was seeing down throughput as low as 10Mbps with 900Mbps up.

Since having a disaster of an install experience earlier in the year (I was cut off for 2 weeks Vodafone's fault) I'm beginning to think I should wait a few weeks for the fault escalation to takes it course then exit the situation via deadlock (because Voda wont be able to fix the problem) and move back to EE/SKY FTTP - I'm one of the lucky gits with both CityFibre and Openreach FTTP.

I really don't think Vodafone have a handle on what they are doing with Ultrafast broadband and seem to be making basic mistakes. CityFibre need to urgently get other providers onboard as the mud from Vodafone is going to stick.

Regards,

Gareth

Gareth
BT Infinity FTTP 80Mbps/20Mbps
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14188...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Nov-20 18:41:35
Print Post

Re: Vodafone Giga sllooooooowwww MK

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

Had seen a couple of moans on twitter about this.

Likely to be not a fault, since the fibre ONT would be moaning about los of signal if the actual fibre was the issue, but where data is aggregated and shared.

There is sharing in the local street as its GPON but given the likely mix of customers unlikely that the 2.4 Gbps down and 1.2 Gbps up is maxed out for long periods, but could explain very short latency spikes.

If speeds are slow for sustained periods of time then more likely to be the handover from CityFibre to the Vodafone network.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User garethr
(member) Tue 03-Nov-20 23:52:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew,

Isn't Cityfibre's network Calix NG-PON2 so symmetric 10Gbps.?

I've managed to raise the issue with Cityfibre. They didn't say 'ops are aware we'll sort it' instead they said 'we've raised it with Vodafone'.

The way Voda have their network is a bit odd. Basically they have POPs around the country with each having its own IP blocks so you can see what is going on pretty easily. From Milton Keynes your internet access can be delivered out from (I think) Bracknell/Slough or Manchester. Going from MK to Manchester makes total sense! Bracknell is much slower than Manchester.

My uneducated guess is Voda might be responsible for their own handover eg like they do with LLU or may actually just bring in Openreach fibre into the CF POP to backhaul the CF customers into their network at MK (Bletchley) and Bradwell Abbey Exchanges then push them out via a mux into their UK network.

Anyway. I think you're right!

Regards,

Gareth

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Nov-20 00:15:41
Print Post

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

Potential to be NG-PON2 but though just plain old GPON usually installed.

If the service sold via Gigafast was really 10 Gbps would expect a lot more to be made of it in PR

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to