General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chud51161
(newbie) Thu 05-Nov-20 00:01:24
Print Post

FTTP Cost

[link to this post]

Can't get fibre where i live and am stuck with adsl and crawling sppeds.
Anyone ever paid to have FTTP set up in a residential property? If so how much did it cost?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 05-Nov-20 00:09:40
Print Post

Re: FTTP Cost

[re: chud51161] [link to this post]

Thousands, usually tens of thousands. If at all. What does the BT Wholesale checker say for your line? Best to post a screenshot somewhere for us, after erasing the phone number but leaving the exchange and cabinet number in.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 05-Nov-20 00:10:16)

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Nov-20 08:04:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Also try linebroker.co.uk to see how much a leased line will cost (certainly hundreds of pounds a month, but normally without up-front cost if you take a 3-year contract).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Nov-20 10:00:31
Print Post

If talking FTTPoD which is the normal product then you would have to already be eligible to order FTTC - it sounds like you aren't. The alternative would be a lease line which will likely be even more expensive. Have you contact BT about the USO? Have you looked at 4G as a potential alternative?
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Nov-20 10:20:32
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
If talking FTTPoD which is the normal product then you would have to already be eligible to order FTTC
A property can also order FTTPoD if the serving cabinet is VDSL enabled but the property is too far from the cabinet to be eligible to order FTTC. I am not saying the OP is in this position but your original post is misleading to say you have to be able to get FTTC to be able to order FTTPod.

Edited by dect (Thu 05-Nov-20 10:21:50)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 05-Nov-20 10:44:18
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Are you sure? I don't recall any BTW availability results showing it without FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Nov-20 11:10:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are you sure? I don't recall any BTW availability results showing it without FTTC.
Yes I am, I have just double checked a few properties from a cabinet that is FTTC enabled where a few properties are 3 miles away from it, they don't show FTTC (because of the distance to the cabinet) but they do show FTTPoD being available.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Thu 05-Nov-20 11:20:30
Print Post

Depends on your location. They'll need to do a survey, it can cost thousands for FTTPoD. I was one of the lower end quotes, costing me a few thousand or so.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Nov-20 11:52:13
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Pretty sure that didn't used to be the case so if it is now then I believe that is a change. Although it is probable that in those cases the costs would be astronomical.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Nov-20 12:06:38
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Although it is probable that in those cases the costs would be astronomical.
You may be right but the quoting of FTTPod hasn't always matched reality.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to