General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadbandjockey
(committed) Fri 06-Nov-20 15:01:50
Print Post

BT Oprenreach FTTP migration

[link to this post]

My son is in a 2017 new build house served by BTO FTTP. Three years ago when he moved in he also had a BT Retail broadband service provided.

I 'babysat' the install. Took a while to get it going, nothing physically wrong, but lots of confusion involving the BT engineer ringing (whoever) to sort out the authentication of the ONT etc. It all bust into life after an hour or two.

His (second) 18 mth contract is up soon, and it seems he can migrate to Sky.

How is a FTTP migration arranged ? Sky send you their router, and you plug it in ?
Is the authentication process of the ONT now far more streamlined ?

The reason I ask, is that both he and his girlfriend are working from home, so being without the internet for more than an hour or two would be a bit of a disaster, so I'm inclined to advise he stays put with BT for the time being ?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Nov-20 15:17:57
Print Post

Re: BT Oprenreach FTTP migration

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

Do they have 4G phones they could tether to for Internet for the time it is out?

Going from BT to Sky ought to be fairly quick changeover - I would expect to switch the router as soon as you notice the broadband has stopped working. However, a few ISPs have a habit of disabling the broadband at midnight of the day it is due to change or of not enabling the new one until after they have a confirmed live signal - I don't think BT or Sky do either of these but I haven't done a FTTP to FTTP migration.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Nov-20 16:00:13
Print Post

FTTP now has a gaining provider led process similar to FTTC making migrations much easier.

You only contact Sky to arrange the migration.
There is no need to contact the old ISP. Doing so can confuse things as poorly trained staff can mark you as leaving which can cease your service.
The new ISP inform your old ISP on your behalf.

There is no ONT authentication that needs redone. That ONT is now associated with that particular property and will stay activated even after moving out and a new owner/tenant moving in.

With an FTTC a migration your port in the fibre cabinet is reassigned to the new ISP.
With an FTTP migration the Ethernet port on the ONT is reassigned to the new ISP.

As pointed out in the post above sometimes the old ISP disconnects you prior to the new ISP activating you on the day of switchover.
The ONT should remain connected with the PON light on throughout.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Fri 06-Nov-20 16:26:26
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks Chaps

Yes, they both have (company) 4G phones, so teathering is indeed an option

So, as you say should just be a case of swapping the routers over on the day.

I know from my own experiences of FTTC migrations you can be dual enabled on changeover day
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Fri 06-Nov-20 16:39:59
Print Post

A moot point if your son has a single port ONT installed but if he has the 4 port ONT (they were still being installed in 2017) then you could ask Sky to provision a new FTTP service on a different ONT port. The advantage of this is that the new service can go live in as little as 24hrs and you won't have any downtime, ie only cancel the BT service once the Sky service is up and running. But of course the downside is that your son will lose his BT number and BT *may* hit him with FTTP cease fees, although personally I've never been hit with such fees in the past after completely stopping FTTP.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Fri 06-Nov-20 16:42:31)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Nov-20 16:43:41
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Sky will only provider a service on Port 1 unfortunately.

Edit: possible reasons for this could be:
to keep the ordering process more simplified.
Multicast services are only available on Port 1 which Sky may choose to use when launching their dish free TV service.

Edited by j0hn83 (Fri 06-Nov-20 16:46:25)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Fri 06-Nov-20 17:05:53
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Sky will only provider a service on Port 1 unfortunately.

Edit: possible reasons for this could be:
to keep the ordering process more simplified.
Multicast services are only available on Port 1 which Sky may choose to use when launching their dish free TV service.

That's strange because its Openreach who usually decide on which ports to activate additional services on a multi-port ONT, not the CP. ONT ports 2/3/4 behave in exactly the same way as port 1. I don't think even the ONT type (single or multi-port) is known to the ordering CP. I know for a fact that BT and TalkTalk allow ports 2/3/4 to be used from my own experience.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Nov-20 17:15:06
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

BT retail will only provide FTTP on Port 1.
Only BT Business will provide on other ports.
Possibly for the Multicast reasons stated above (BT TV will only work on Port 1).

The CP can 100% see which port what service is on and choose which port to order the migration on. OpenReach don't choose, they provide what is ordered.

edit: typos

Edited by j0hn83 (Fri 06-Nov-20 17:16:14)

(committed) Fri 06-Nov-20 17:35:52
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

No worries anyway about losing his phone number. I just plugged a spare 5 quid Argos phone into the port, (the ONT is in his understairs cupboard,) and he uses the CAT5 tielines the builder put in to feed the router on his living room. The phone has only knowingly rung once, and it was a wrong number. Never knowingly had a spam call (which is interesting!)

BTW how many Ethernet ports does the Sky router have, 1 or 4? (because he uses a LAN connection for a few things)
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Nov-20 17:38:37
Print Post

They provide their SR203 router which has 4 Ethernet LAN ports.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to