General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jpm
(member) Fri 06-Nov-20 19:22:33
Print Post

Re: BT Oprenreach FTTP migration

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

If you're using FTTP then only 3 of those are available for LAN devices.
Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Sat 07-Nov-20 10:46:54
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

hmmm

might not be that simple as there wil be no copper on that site and it will be an FVA product not sure what skuy are doing on FVA and what you would have to do - its not the same as having FTTP where you have a normal copper service
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Nov-20 11:33:32
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman3:
hmmm

might not be that simple as there wil be no copper on that site and it will be an FVA product not sure what skuy are doing on FVA and what you would have to do

It is the same process as any other migration. The OP doesn't have to "do" anything.

Sky aren't doing anything with FVA. They have never sold it. Only BT have ever sold FVA.
Sky provide Voice via VOIP from their Hub the same way BT do Digital Voice.

its not the same as having FTTP where you have a normal copper service

Sky don't use the copper line with FTTP. It's the same with and without a copper line present.

You're just going to confuse the OP.

A simple 1 line message explaining that any landline phone will need plugged into the Sky hub instead of the ONT would have covered it.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 07-Nov-20 11:34:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadbandjockey
(committed) Sun 08-Nov-20 09:56:05
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jpm:
If you're using FTTP then only 3 of those are available for LAN devices.

Yes, makes sence, one of the sockets is allocated to the ONT link?

I presume the router should just 'auto' configure accordingly when (correctly) connected up. I couldn't find any specific 'FTTP quick start' diagrams downloading info from Sky's support pages?
Standard User jpm
(member) Sun 08-Nov-20 10:51:20
Print Post

It's basic but the steps are here

https://www.sky.com/help/home/broadband/sky-broadban...
(committed) Sun 08-Nov-20 17:21:45
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone for the advice and info.

(Phone line voice service, far from a problem, I'm not sure he's ever made a landline call in his life ! I will make sure the phone remains plugged in for emergency use though)
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Nov-20 17:46:28
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Sky will only provider a service on Port 1 unfortunately.

Sky's FTTP setup instructions here suggest otherwise:

Step 4: "Tip: If you've got an ONT with more than one Ethernet port, you need to use the one you told us to take over when you bought your broadband."

Step 6: "Tip: If your PORT/LAN light hasn't turned green and you've got an ONT with more than one Ethernet port, try a different one."
(committed) Wed 25-Nov-20 12:52:36
Print Post

Migration all going well, due next week. As expected a 'love letter' from BT acknowledging the transfer date next week, but stating that as the phone service will become 'unbundled' on that day, he will carry on paying BT for line rental at the standard rate ?

He's definitely signed up for a 'voice' service from Sky, so who has cocked up ?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Nov-20 14:11:34
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Sky's FTTP setup instructions here suggest otherwise:

Cheers for that.

Perhaps they have amended their ordering system since the initial soft launch.

There's been a couple posts on the Sky forums and even a thread on here where attempts to activate a new Sky FTTP service on Port 2 resulted in Sky trying to take over/migrate the existing Port 1 service.

CarlT was 1 of those who tried and failed to get Sky to provision on any port other than port 1.
Sky tried to take over Port 1 which was in use by BT.
After a bit of back and forth I believe Sky gave up, conceding they couldn't do it.

As mentioned in my previous post the only limitation/difference I'm aware of between Port 1 and any other port on a 4 port ONT is that only Port 1 can be used for Multicast services.

Could be that Sky's internal FTTP ordering system didn't (or still doesn't) cater for a 4 port ONT.
In that case they can manually place the order to bypass that limitation.

Would be good to get confirmation from a Sky user that they have successfully activated FTTP on any port other than port 1 of a 4 port ONT.
I haven't seen any such posts on the Sky forum (yet), though I haven't looked there much recently.
(committed) Wed 02-Dec-20 12:22:43
Print Post

Just to close this thread off, my lad's FTTP migration from BT to Sky went very well

His BT connection died this morning at 01:30hrs (according to my BQM monitor).

He connected up his Sky SR203 this morning at 8am, and after a couple of minutes it burst into life.

The only odd thing was the voice service. The Voice port on his BT ONT was dead (as you'd expect). The Voice LED on the Sky router was green, and plugging the phone into there, he could make outgoing calls, and they had the correct CLID, but attempting to call in was just a 'Number Unavailable' tone or announcement )

However, incoming calls started working at around Noon, so all good now.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to