General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Jan-21 17:21:58
Print Post

Re: BT FTTP With Digital Voice - Alternative to Smart Hub 2

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
so Dan aka @openreachHelp on Twitter is....wrong.

He is "aloud" to be wong <sic>

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User MilesR
(newbie) Mon 25-Jan-21 17:57:38
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
so Dan aka @openreachHelp on Twitter is....wrong.

He is "aloud" to be wong <sic>

I'm a massive grammar pedant and yet I completely missed that! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jan-21 18:41:20
Print Post

Yes simultaneous FTTC and FTTP is completely feasible. Indeed many folks have both and it’s not as uncommon as “Dan” purports.

Yes. I have both.

You can either order a data-only FTTP service; or order an FTTP service with voice but with a new phone number, rather than porting your existing one (as the porting will cancel your phone line *and* attached broadband).

Many providers offer data-only FTTP. Even BT do now, at last: https://www.bt.com/broadband/broadband-without-landline
(although perversely, you may get a cheaper deal taking FTTP with voice)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MilesR
(newbie) Mon 25-Jan-21 21:46:58
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Yes simultaneous FTTC and FTTP is completely feasible. Indeed many folks have both and it’s not as uncommon as “Dan” purports.

Yes. I have both.

You can either order a data-only FTTP service; or order an FTTP service with voice but with a new phone number, rather than porting your existing one (as the porting will cancel your phone line *and* attached broadband).

Thanks for confirming 👍🏻

Many providers offer data-only FTTP. Even BT do now, at last: https://www.bt.com/broadband/broadband-without-landline
Standard User simon194
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-21 08:32:36
Print Post

I could even fire up a broadband connection in Australia and have my 01473 and 020 numbers picked up and made there if desired.

That's what I used to do when I used to have to travel. I have a SIP app on my phone so just needed to find a wifi hotspot and make UK calls at normal Sipgate rates and avoid the hefty roaming charges.
Standard User mikegg
(regular) Tue 26-Jan-21 10:16:49
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Yes. I have both.

I presume that there is nothing wrong with taking FTTP with voice (such as the BT Retail product) but not using the voice component and porting your original number to a third party VOIP ?
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-21 18:25:19
Print Post

[re: mikegg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikegg:
I presume that there is nothing wrong with taking FTTP with voice (such as the BT Retail product) but not using the voice component and porting your original number to a third party VOIP ?

Certainly. When you port the original number, it will cease the underlying phone line and attached broadband services.

There is an alternative which is "renumber and port out", that can be used to keep the existing FTTC service running but on a new phone number, whilst moving the existing number to VOIP. It's a little-known trick, but AAISP can do it.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jan-21 02:26:40
Print Post

[re: mikegg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikegg:

Porting the landline number that's part of a bundled broadband/phone package will cease the broadband.

If you try port your Digital Voice number I believe that will cease your FTTP.

You need to arrange it in such a way that you order FTTP separate to your existing landline number.
Either take a data only FTTP service (no landline number) or order FTTP with a new number.

If you are currently on FTTC then order FTTP separately. Wait till the FTTP is live and then port the FTTC number to a VOIP provider.
Your current ISP sees this as just another migration and this will cease the FTTC line.

As mentioned OpenReach do offer a service to overcome this called "renumber with number export".
It lets you port the number to VOIP and issues a new number, keeping the broadband active.
I'm also only aware of AAISP offering this to customers though.
I don't believe BT use it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to