General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sat 07-Nov-20 11:09:57
Print Post

Re: BT FTTP With Digital Voice - Alternative to Smart Hub 2

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

MHC

The service he has brought has BB and Voice bundled. If he ports the number both will cease.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Nov-20 11:42:02
Print Post

BT Retail (residential, not business) don't sell broadband without voice, it's a bundled service.
The broadband is linked to the voice service and porting out the landline number will cease the broadband.

BT do not support renumber with export either.

This isn't a BT only thing either. If your port the landline number away on ANY bundled OpenReach service it will cease the broadband.

RevK from AAISP goes in to it in a bit more detail on his blog.

https://www.revk.uk/2016/04/number-porting-broadband...

edit: clarified I'm talking about BT residential services.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 07-Nov-20 12:12:47)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 07-Nov-20 12:05:38
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Don't they?

Should be interesting when I migrate to FTTP - imminently. My business broadband was contracted as Broadband only, and the copper it was delivered on was a residential service.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Nov-20 12:07:23
Print Post

Then that isn't a bundled service.

It's 2 separate services that are billed separately.

Edit: not sure that would necessarily be a migration either.

If you are migrating the residential landline number to FTTP then the BT Business broadband should continue on the copper line.

If you intend on keeping the copper landline service then the BT Business broadband would need manually ceased.

Edited my post above to clarify I'm talking about residential services.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 07-Nov-20 12:13:17)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sat 07-Nov-20 12:49:59
Print Post

BT Business no longer supply voice over copper on their FTTP services and you are forced to take out Digital Voice with FTTP whether you use it or not. However unlike their Residential sibling, BTB’s VoIP service can be used on any third party router as they send you a IP dect handset + base station preconfigured with your sip details. You can migrate any landline number (copper or VOIP based) onto BTB Digital Voice, I moved by Yay.com landline to BTB without any dramas.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Sat 07-Nov-20 12:53:12)

Standard User tdw42
(member) Sat 07-Nov-20 14:07:14
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

They also appear to use SOGEA FTTC for broadband delivery where FTTP is not available. I can confirm that you can ditch the BT Business Hub for a third-party router and still use the BT-supplied DECT SIP phone.
Standard User brookheather
(member) Mon 09-Nov-20 17:27:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
BT Retail (residential, not business) don't sell broadband without voice,

They do now:

https://www.bt.com/broadband/broadband-without-landline

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Nov-20 20:28:12
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brookheather:
In reply to a post by j0hn83:
BT Retail (residential, not business) don't sell broadband without voice,

They do now:

https://www.bt.com/broadband/broadband-without-landline

Interesting development. Cheers for the link.

Edit: looks like it's the exact same price as services with a landline. Using SOGEA/SOGFAST for FTTC with no Digital Voice.

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 09-Nov-20 20:34:15)

Standard User chrisu
(newbie) Thu 26-Nov-20 21:05:56
Print Post

I have BT 910Mb FTTP and a Smart Hub 2, and would also like to use my Asus AC88U Router rather than the Smart Hub 2, but would like to keep the digital voice.

As was suggested earlier in this thread, I have sniffed the traffic between the SH2 and the ONT and have seen the following:
1. It establishes a PPPoE session
2. It then appears to create an encrypted SIP session with imsee.bt.com on port 5061. It's TLSv1.2 encrypted so I can't see the password. Is imsee EE's IMS server they use for VoLTE/Wifi Calling and BT are using it for Digital Voice?
3. If I make an outgoing voice call, there is some data sent over the existing SIP session on port 5061, and then immediately UDP traffic starts arriving to the SH2 port 5050, and UDP traffic is sent from port 5050, which must be the voice data. It is all within the PPPoE session and the UDP packets have 802.1Q VLAN priority 7.

If the SH2 can't establish a PPPoE session, nothing works. As was suggested earlier, the only way it appears that it can be made to work is to create a PPPoE server on my LAN which forwards traffic to the internet. Incoming UDP data on port 5050 would need forwarding to the PPPoE server which would then forward to the SH2 within the PPP session. I don't have a router that is capable of running a PPPoE server, maybe I could set one up on a Raspberry Pi.

At the moment, I have the SH2 connected to the ONT and one of the SH2 LAN ports connected to one of the LAN ports on the Asus so I avoid double NAT, and am just using the Asus as a wireless access point and not using any of the router functionality. I have turned off wifi in the SH2. Although not ideal, it seems to work quite well and I am able to achieve download speeds of 910Mb over ethernet. Hopefully one day BT will release details of how to connect to the SIP server.
Standard User jpm
(member) Thu 26-Nov-20 22:54:44
Print Post

[re: chrisu] [link to this post]

I can place 'HD' calls between my EE phone and my BT Digital Voice landline so it's a fair assumption that the voice bit is being handled by EE's network.

Edit: I presume you had no other clients on your network at this time or used the filters in Wireshark, so you weren't accidentally sniffing Wi-Fi calling traffic or anything like that.

Edited by jpm (Thu 26-Nov-20 22:55:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to