General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 26-Nov-20 23:22:06
Print Post

Re: BT FTTP With Digital Voice - Alternative to Smart Hub 2

[re: chrisu] [link to this post]

chrisu

They planned to use the same IMS server as the capacity was huge so why buy two sets. It doesn't matter what the transmission medium is with IP can be Mobile or BB over Fibre or BB over Copper. The call server and SIP/UDP session is just between IP end points, ONT to Call server to set up the session then ONT ( UDP) between IP end points direct. Also ONT to Call server to close down the call and record usage.

Encryption is to prevent fraud and keep the whole system secure. It is also why it won't work over a different hub. ( and why they won't release the SIP server instructions).
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Nov-20 00:00:46
Print Post

[re: chrisu] [link to this post]

Have you tried setting up a PPPoE Service and SIP Service and have the SH2 connected to that.
And log the SIP Connection via the service if you are able to do so.
Maybe that might work.

What I was hoping to do was use my router I am using now to handle the connection and also have the SH2 on one of the routers ports (say port 10) and set it to route port numbers (5060 and 5061 etc) through to the router then over the connection.

This probably won't work, but something to think about.

Paul

BTBroadband - Full Fibre 900 Halo 1 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (CLI) | MikroTik Tik RB4011iGS+RM (BQM)
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Nov-20 08:01:23
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Have you tried setting up a PPPoE Service and SIP Service and have the SH2 connected to that.

Don't bother trying to set up your own SIP Service. If the SH2 is trying to connect to imsee.bt.com with TLS, you won't be able to spoof it (you can't get a valid certificate for imsee.bt.com)

PPPoE server on a Raspberry Pi though, that would be more interesting.

The other question is: do you have any user control of routing on the SH2, e.g. is there a CLI?

For example, say its LAN address is 192.168.1.254. If you could connect it to a port on your own router, where your own router has address 192.168.1.253, *and* you could give the SH2 a default gateway of 192.168.1.253, then it would be able to route upstream without having to mess with PPPoE.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User threelegs
(member) Fri 27-Nov-20 17:49:31
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
In reply to a post by brookheather:
In reply to a post by j0hn83:
BT Retail (residential, not business) don't sell broadband without voice,

They do now:

https://www.bt.com/broadband/broadband-without-landline

Interesting development. Cheers for the link.

Edit: looks like it's the exact same price as services with a landline. Using SOGEA/SOGFAST for FTTC with no Digital Voice.

that link brings up a price for the 150 service of £39.99 a month. another link i have been looking at which includes landline is £32.99 a month ???????? with 3 months free!!

Edited by threelegs (Fri 27-Nov-20 17:51:35)

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Nov-20 18:08:34
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

Yes you need to keep track of them, so far I have seen:

https://www.bt.com/broadband/deals
https://www.bt.com/campaign/full-fibre
https://www.bt.com/campaign/full-fibre-240
https://www.bt.com/broadband/bristol
https://www.bt.com/products/affiliate-packages-broad...

The "bristol" one is offering 150M for £29.99 currently (but with £9.99 setup and no three months free, so works out slightly more expensive over 24 months)
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Nov-20 18:59:53
Print Post

Different links have different offers running but after the minimum term the Fibre 150 service is £39.99 a month, with and without a landline.

The links I've looked at today go to a black Friday deal with the 150Mb package free for 3 months then £39.99 a month

Edit: another link shows £29.99 a month for 24 months.
Yet another link offers 3 months free then £32.99 a month for 24 months. That looks like the better offer.

They all revert to £39.99.

Edited by j0hn83 (Fri 27-Nov-20 19:05:34)

Standard User threelegs
(member) Sat 28-Nov-20 10:57:30
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I currently pay £34.99 a month for 150/30, but when i look on "my bt" to see what offers they are giving to existing customers they will recontract me for £39.99/month. what an incentive to take out a new deal!! why do they do this? is it just to generate work for the sales teams ? why not offer or just do it, a lower price for existing customers to keep them loyal. why do we have to keep haggling?
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Nov-20 11:06:30
Print Post

1. Because lots of people forget or are too embarrassed to haggle, and therefore pay exorbitant prices.

2. Because if BT made the "standard" price £34.99, the marketing people would still feed obliged to offer discounts on top of that to attract new business - like the never-ending sales at Allied Carpets.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sat 28-Nov-20 11:43:23
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
like the never-ending sales at Allied Carpets.

Showing your age there wink. They went out of business 5 years ago. Unlike DFS who still pull this old trick. Has anyone bought anything from DFS when the sale wasn't on lol?
Standard User chrisu
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-20 12:25:25
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jpm:
I can place 'HD' calls between my EE phone and my BT Digital Voice landline so it's a fair assumption that the voice bit is being handled by EE's network.

Edit: I presume you had no other clients on your network at this time or used the filters in Wireshark, so you weren't accidentally sniffing Wi-Fi calling traffic or anything like that.

I disconnected everything from the LAN ports and turned wifi off, so the only traffic was the SH2. I created a network tap between the SH2 and ONT using a Raspberry Pi, following the instructions here : https://surfingthecyber.com/howto/2017/03/30/Buildin...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to