General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jpm
(member) Wed 02-Dec-20 22:15:31
Print Post

Re: BT FTTP With Digital Voice - Alternative to Smart Hub 2

[re: WhySoComplicated] [link to this post]

For everybody who has been thinking that an ATA might become available for BT Digital Voice customers because there will be people who want to use existing phones, I had to be a little bit vague as the devices were on trial, but these situations will be handled via a little DECT adapter, detailed here:

https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/user-guides/D...

To make it clear, this still requires the Smart Hub 2.

Edited by jpm (Wed 02-Dec-20 22:16:40)

Standard User Rhubarb
(committed) Thu 03-Dec-20 13:36:00
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

Hi. Trying to decide whether to go for FTTP at this stage. Service just become available but it looks like I'd have to have Digital Voice meaning that I'd have to use the SH2. Does anyone know that if I were to turn of DHCP in the SH2 and redirect DHCP & DNS to the likes of pi-hole would DV still work via the router? Cheers - Andy
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Dec-20 14:29:46
Print Post

[re: Rhubarb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rhubarb:
it looks like I'd have to have Digital Voice meaning that I'd have to use the SH2.

1. Only if you decide to take FTTP from BT - other providers are available. Although they'll provide their own router with voice port, in some cases they'll release the SIP info for you to use with your own hardware.

2. You can migrate your phone number to a third-party VOIP provider, either before or after the FTTP migration. Then you can ignore the SH2 (which will have a new phone number that you don't use) and use your own ATA or other VOIP solution. If you make outgoing calls, this is generally way cheaper anyway.

To take your phone number without ceasing the underlying service, you need to use the "renumber with number export" process, which for example AAISP can do for you. Their voice service is £1.20 per month plus calls.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tdw42
(member) Thu 03-Dec-20 14:48:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rhubarb:
Trying to decide whether to go for FTTP at this stage. Service just become available but it looks like I'd have to have Digital Voice meaning that I'd have to use the SH2.

Only if you use BT Retail as an ISP, similarly Sky FTTP voice services requires the use of their router. I would expect this to become commonplace for the large ISPs which decide to offer a voice service on non-business FTTP connections.

You can always go data only e.g. TalkTalk, Zen and then port the copper line number to a VoIP provider, e.g. Sipgate, AAISP.
Standard User omnius
(member) Thu 03-Dec-20 15:20:54
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

Maby we will get lucky and all these ISP's will see fit to put a "modem" mode on their kit that would let their kit run the phone side but hand everything else to whatever router your using.

I give it 2 years max before someone works out how its all done, nothing on the internet stays hidden forever.

--

Just because i try to help doesnt mean i know what im on about lol
Standard User Rhubarb
(committed) Thu 03-Dec-20 15:52:33
Print Post

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

Thanks all for your replies. I'm just trying to keep things simple and economical at the moment. (I realise a pi-hole isn't keeping it simple but thought it might offer a stopgap until other options appear.) I've just ordered BT Fibre 100 to get the black Friday deal, installation isn't until mid Jan so I've got time to consider the options. I've got a reasonable FTTC connection at present so if I don't think things are going to work out I can cancel nearer the time and stay where I am. If anyone here has had experience handing off DHCP & DNS from the SH2 to something else with DV I'd like to hear. Thanks again. Cheers - Andy
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Dec-20 15:54:25
Print Post

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by omnius:
Maby we will get lucky and all these ISP's will see fit to put a "modem" mode on their kit that would let their kit run the phone side but hand everything else to whatever router your using.

That can't work, because VOIP requires IP (by definition), which means it has to be behind the router.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Dec-20 16:39:32
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
That can't work, because VOIP requires IP (by definition), which means it has to be behind the router.

Virgin Media support it, but I suspect they provision a private VLAN to the SIP side, and a public VLAN to the modem.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Dec-20 17:14:17
Print Post

Am I missing something?

Smart Hub 2 has an old fashioned phone socket on it, i.e. can plug in a phone to that or extension kits galore if that is your wish. That its provisioned using Digital Voice makes zero difference when using that socket.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rhubarb
(committed) Thu 03-Dec-20 17:33:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Am I missing something?

Not really. It's just that the only option for my connection is to take DV so I'm stuck with a SH2. I'd like to have a little control over DNS and IP allocation so something like Pi-hole might offer me this with the BT router. Andy

Edited by Rhubarb (Thu 03-Dec-20 17:43:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to