General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User IHateADSL
(newbie) Mon 09-Nov-20 13:25:39
Print Post

Can't swap FTTC providers due to no ports?

[link to this post]

I've got an order in at the moment to swap from TalkTalk to Sky (I have nothing against TalkTalk, I've not had a single issue in the 4 years I've been with them - I just want all my bills under one account to make it easier)

Sky have gotten in touch with me and said they can't proceed with the order as there are no free ports in the cabinet. I already have FTTC with TalkTalk so I am already connected to a port in the cab. BT Checker states there is a "waiting list" for FTTC. If I already have fibre, why can't I swap providers since I'm already "connected"?
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(experienced) Mon 09-Nov-20 17:57:25
Print Post

Re: Can't swap FTTC providers due to no ports?

[re: IHateADSL] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IHateADSL:
I just want all my bills under one account to make it easier)

If you are happy with the service TT have provided (Happy TT customer of 10+ years here) why go to all the trouble just to have one account.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Nov-20 18:31:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by IHateADSL:
If I already have fibre, why can't I swap providers since I'm already "connected"?

Because that's how the system works.

I would say don't risk a migration: someone else may grab your port and you'll be stuck with ADSL for some time, possibly months, until the cabinet capacity is expanded.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Mon 09-Nov-20 18:44:40
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

could be depending on what sort of cab and how it was funded it might never be ungraded / or enlarged in the short to medium term
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Nov-20 22:06:52
Print Post

Wise words
In reply to a post by candlerb:
I would say don't risk a migration: someone else may grab your port and you'll be stuck with ADSL for some time, possibly months, until the cabinet capacity is expanded.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Mon 09-Nov-20 22:55:57
Print Post

Had similar issue recently trying to order a new line on my cabinet with OR stating no ports available.

My existing provider smelt a database error as they had 3 issues on 3 seperate cabinets in 3 different parts of the country and resubmitted the new line order and it went through with no issues second time around.

Ask Sky nicely to resubmit the order.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Nov-20 05:08:23
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Losing ports during a migration was a thing back when the port was physically changed for said migration.
It did indeed happen too frequently and i read numerous posts from people affected across a number of forums.

It hasn't been an issue for a few years now.
There shouldn't be any risk of losing your port when trying a migration as it's all done remotely now with a new virtual path built for the same port.

I can't remember exactly when the last time I read a post complaining about losing a port on a full cabinet due to a failed migration was, but it was certainly years ago.
  Print Thread

Jump to