General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joph
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 11:49:11
Print Post

BTNet Leased Line with Unifi Dream Machine Pro

[link to this post]

Hi

I had BTNet 1000Mb leased line installed on Monday. I have a single-mode fibre cable from the exchange dropping into an ADVA NTE box (FSP 150-GE102Pro), and offering a multimode sfp connection for me to use (I was expecting an ethernet port to be honest). This is the first leased line we've had and I'm a bit confused about connecting it to my UDM-PRO (bought as this has a WAN SFP port).

I have used a 10G SFP module (UF-MM-10G) in the UDM-PRO and connected the kit using a multimode LCLC cable.

When powering up the UDM-PRO it attempts to automatically detect internet and when that fails I can choose the SFP WAN port, enter the IP, Gateway, subnet mask and DNS server details. However, this still doesn't connect.

Any idea where the issue may lie please?

Thanks!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Nov-20 12:17:20
Print Post

Re: BTNet Leased Line with Unifi Dream Machine Pro

[re: joph] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by joph:
Any idea where the issue may lie please?

If you have a 1G service (1000 Mbps) why did you buy a 10G SFP ? The SFP's that I have used are not switchable, only work at the speed on the packaging. I suspect you will need a 1gig SFP.

Others may know more.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User joph
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 12:23:13
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for the response - I've not used SFP before and assumed that the higher the better and they'd be backwards compatible. I note from the spec of the ADVA box here that the SFP fitted is 10/1000 https://www.adva.com/-/media/adva-main-site/resource...

I have ordered new 1 gig module which will be here tomorrow. Hopefully that may resolve it!

Thanks again

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Nov-20 12:36:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by joph:
Thanks for the response - I've not used SFP before and assumed that the higher the better and they'd be backwards compatible.

They're not, and at 10G there are multiple standards to choose from as well.

For a 1G SFP you should be paying less than £10 each. fs.com is a good source for these.

You need to check with your supplier which standard to use to match the ADVA box facing you. There are two likely possibilities:

- 1000baseSX, which is multimode-only
- 1000baseLX (sometimes called 1000baseLH), which works on multimode and singlemode

You need the matching SFP on your side.

If you pull out the end-user-facing SFP from the ADVA side you may be able to work it out. With luck it will say the wavelength: around 800nm then it's SX, and 1310nm it's LX.
Standard User joph
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 12:39:39
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

That's brilliant, thanks so much for the info. I think we have found where the issue lies.

I'll check the module in the ADVA box when I'm on-site later and with a bit of luck it'll be compatible with the 1 gig module I have on order!

Thanks again.
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Wed 11-Nov-20 16:02:07
Print Post

I don't have quite the same setup, but I had to hard reset my UDM-Pro back to factory to get it to detect the connection, may be worth a try.

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile
Standard User joph
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 16:26:53
Print Post

[re: fredfox] [link to this post]

Thanks - I'll give it a go. I upgraded to the latest and greatest 1.8.0 firmware and sadly the setup process on that is goosed so I'll have to downgrade it.
Standard User PianSomB
(learned) Wed 11-Nov-20 17:02:16
Print Post

I have been using a UDM-P on consumer BT since January with a mostly positive experience.

Note that some people (including me) see a significant throughput hit when using IPS/IDS. This is thought likely due to the PPPoE connection to the ONT, so may not affect you - I would be interested to hear if you have issues

Also, you *may* find it helps to manually set the speed on the SFP WAN port - this is sometimes needed on the LAN side though I haven't heard of anyone using the SFP WAN so can't say for sure

Standard User joph
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 18:13:38
Print Post

[re: PianSomB] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply - I'll do some testing when/if I ever get this thing online!
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Wed 11-Nov-20 20:41:45
Print Post

A pair of matching generic SFP’s from fs.com with the appropriate matching LC ended fibre patch lead will get you out of trouble for less than £20 all in.

Alternatively if both boxes are immediately adjacent to one another get a gigabit direct attach (DAC) cable from somewhere like Amazon for a similar outlay.

In this way you can be sure that both ends match. Just don’t go getting a SFP+ modules instead of SFPs by mistake.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to