General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User No_One
(committed) Wed 11-Nov-20 19:13:13
Print Post

Can someone identify this connector?

[link to this post]

While up in the loft the other day I tracked the route out phone line comes into the house to the master socket and found this in the middle. The house was built in the mid 60s and I'd guess this is probably original to the house.

https://i.imgur.com/1tYq14J.jpg

At first glance it looks to be an old standard connector (Maybe a block terminal 20/4?) but I have no idea what the 2 rusty looking wires are (Earth maybe?). Ultimately I want to know if this could be having an affect on my VDSL. My predicted speeds are

Clean 80-71.3
Impacted 80-67

I'm actually getting 55 which although is decent and stable, I want to be sure I'm getting the best I can. The problem is that I'm using an openreach modem and therefore don't have access to any line stats. I know that as this connector is before the master socket it would be the responsibilty of openreach so just looking for comments at this point
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Nov-20 19:21:34
Print Post

Re: Can someone identify this connector?

[re: No_One] [link to this post]

Looks a little like a junction box, the two pairs of rusty wires are they bare metal? If so then not part of the telephone line

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User No_One
(committed) Wed 11-Nov-20 19:23:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah they're bare metal. I wasn't able to see there they go. The white cable down down through the ceiling and into the back of the mater socket

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MC31
(member) Wed 11-Nov-20 19:27:21
Print Post

Its just a old junction box with screw terminations. The wire is a earth wire and no longer used (but can be useful for testing)

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Nov-20 19:51:33
Print Post

[re: MC31] [link to this post]

As MC31 rightly says. It’s an old bakelite screw terminal connector. The bare wires were for an earth connection which used to be required.

I’d be tempted to unscrew the single screw in the lid and carefully remove the lid ... let’s have a picture of the guts of it. Depending on the location and local conditions, the screw terminals can get corroded and produce an HR fault.

Standard User No_One
(committed) Wed 11-Nov-20 19:56:50
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Is there any possibility that removing the earth wires would improve my connection speed?

I'll take the cover off and get a pic of the inside when I next get a chance to get up into the loft. Might not be for a while though
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Nov-20 21:10:59
Print Post

The earth wire isn’t connected to your pair. You’d have a huge earth ‘hum’ over the dial tone ... and it would test faulty (which you’d hope might have been picked up at some point since the property was built)

Standard User partial
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Nov-20 23:14:26
Print Post

The earth wire will have been disconnected when the line stopped being a party line back in the day.

Probably best off leaving the whole thing alone.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 11-Nov-20 23:43:56
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Odd that there are something like five "earth wires". Seriously to be hoped they aren't connected to anything.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User No_One
(committed) Thu 12-Nov-20 00:11:46
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

What is/was a party line?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to