General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Corbula
(member) Fri 13-Nov-20 18:20:39
Print Post

Anyone of checking an areas planned date for FTTP?

[link to this post]

Is there anyway of checking an areas fibre plans? For example when looking at moving house and you don't have a phone number only an address, can you find its planned fttp date?

The area in question is skelmersdale, I'm assuming you can't narrow it down more than that. It has been on one of the openreach lists of towns (can't remember when) but don't know if that means it's planned to have it by March 2021, by 2025 or even further away than that.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Nov-20 19:00:34
Print Post

Re: Anyone of checking an areas planned date for FTTP?

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

Is on the Fibre Town/Village list announced in July

My money would be on relatively new build such as WN8 6PT and WN8 6BN being some of the first bits to go live.

Some other places on the list have started to appear with build, so its a case of how long is the piece of string you cannot see problem. Would expect to see a start in next couple of months and carry on through 2021

They don't do a 100% build in the exchange areas, generally aim for 80 to 90%, sometimes more.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Fri 13-Nov-20 20:29:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I really hope at some point they publish a bit more info on where they are working and rough timescales for those areas.

Its become an annoying habit of mine constantly checking to see if any more progress has been made around my area... spotting new blue ropes appearing round poles... catching them down footway boxes etc.

I had a chat with one of the guys doing the ropes the other day and he said we are the first area they are doing (new build estate ME12) so it seems true they do hit the newer areas first as a quick win and helps them hit the numbers.

Would likely save a lot of enquiries if they was just to publish a little more info smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Sat 14-Nov-20 12:01:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
They don't do a 100% build in the exchange areas, generally aim for 80 to 90%, sometimes more.

I've seen you say this before no doubt to manage expectations. But do you have any idea of which parts of an exchange might be missed out and/or the reasons?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Nov-20 12:25:25
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Flats are often last or missed out. Last as waiting on way leave, missed as no way leave or just too costly.

Roads with all direct buried cables and no sensible overhead option, as for where those are local knowledge is the key.

The 80-90% is based on what I see for the longer term fibre first exchanges in terms of what have found built

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Nov-20 15:42:15
Print Post

[re: kjwkjw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kjwkjw:
Would likely save a lot of enquiries if they was just to publish a little more info smile
The problem with publishing rough dates is people will hold them too those dates and that would in turn generate as many enquiries about the dates being missed.

I have watched a work permit go in for a blocked ducted for nearly 7 months now and it keeps getting pushed back for one reason or another so planning and executing any rollout is not plain sailing and rough dates can be missed by months if not years frown
Standard User kjwkjw
(newbie) Sat 14-Nov-20 16:42:53
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Fair comment, I just hate knowing work has started but not when things may start going live smile I am hoping its going to be a fairly easy install as they have already been round and roped everything up so looks promising! The guys doing it said they will be back to install the fibre before Christmas this year so can only keep my fingers crossed!

Must be hell watching that same blockage keep moving back frown
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Nov-20 16:56:06
Print Post

Must be hell watching that same blockage keep moving back frown
Like many others I watch the roadwork websites smile the blockage I referred too doesn't directly affect me but I do know the properties it does and they are pulling their hair out waiting and their fear is Openreach may pull the plug if it goes on too much longer frown
Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Nov-20 23:05:47
Print Post

My area fibre all the way from exchange to the FTTC was pretty easy job by openreach who lay the 2.5km fibre from the exchange straight uphill on the footpath into my area footpath underground for FTTC in 2014. If openreach plan to bring in FTTP then I am sure it not very difficult job for them to do it again underground pathway with no digging up involved in the main road? Am I right MrSaffron.

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Nov-20 23:39:05
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Put it this way their plan 20 million premises by around 2027 and other 30 million premises in the UK. So not everyone is going to see it.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Nov-20 09:00:32
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Like many others I watch the roadwork websites smile the blockage I referred too doesn't directly affect me but I do know the properties it does and they are pulling their hair out waiting and their fear is Openreach may pull the plug if it goes on too much longer frown

That will be fun here when Zzoomm starts putting fibre here. This city comes to a standstill with one lot of roadworks.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Nov-20 09:02:47
Print Post

They've tried that before with other roll-outs and unsurprisingly it didn't work well. People just moaned about being a long way down the list then moaned when schedules slipped. Given that some people will moan no matter what they do BT have sensibly chosen the route of minimum effort.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User jamie1985
(newbie) Sun 15-Nov-20 09:32:11
Print Post

Keep checking the roadworks in your area for the nex't 3 months.

When work was about done for our area they hadblue draw rope on some of their telegraph poles and within weeks they started putting fibre cables overhead and underground.

normally when our area was done they would do digging and then come back about 1-2 months later to lay the fibre.

We also had set back when everyone was live, we had collapsed duct which had to be repaired so this went on for another month longer.

Also virgin media had dug up our street at the same time openreach did early this year so was all going crazy lol

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by jamie1985 (Sun 15-Nov-20 09:33:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to