General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nick9one1
(newbie) Fri 27-Nov-20 10:07:28
Print Post

Is this a good connection speed?

[link to this post]

I don't think my broadband speed is up to par,

these are my stats;

Annex: B
Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Profile: 17a
Line State: UP [0x801: showtime_tc_sync]
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS): Near: 0 / Far: 1044
Errored seconds (ES): Near: 0 / Far: 4
Severely Errored Seconds (SES): Near: 0 / Far: 0
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS): Near: 0 / Far: 0
Unavailable Seconds (UAS): Near: 84 / Far: 84
Header Error Code Errors (HEC): Near: 0 / Far: 0
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P): Near: 0 / Far: 0
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P): Near: 0 / Far: 0
Power Management Mode: L0 - Synchronized
Latency [Interleave Delay]: 0.14 ms [Fast] 0.0 ms [Fast]
Data Rate: Down: 24.928 Mb/s / Up: 9.988 Mb/s
Line Attenuation (LATN): Down: 9.4 dB / Up: 28.2 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN): Down: 5.2 dB / Up: 28.1 dB
Noise Margin (SNR): Down: 3.4 dB / Up: 5.9 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (ACTATP): Down: 7.4 dB / Up: 10.1 dB
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR): Down: 26.853 Mb/s / Up: 10.157 Mb/s

I think I am about 300m max from the FTTC, but will double check this
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-20 10:16:07
Print Post

Re: Is this a good connection speed?

[re: nick9one1] [link to this post]

Have you tried connecting via the test socket behind the master socket? This is needed as a start to rule out issues with internal wiring and tells us what the line is actually capable of.

Also, your 300m max as the crow flies may be very different as your line could be going the "long way" to get to the cabinet - where I used to live was about 300m as the crow flies from the cabinet but in reality the line went around the estate and was more like 600m.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Nov-20 10:18:16
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Also have seen people identify the wrong cabinets before now e.g. virgin media ones or just the wrong openreach one

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Nov-20 10:48:49
Print Post

Looking at your attenuation figures, it seems your router / modem is displaying the figures the wrong way round.

28db is a lot longer than 300m unless there is a line fault or dodgy extension cable somewhere. That's more like 700m+

Your noise margin of 3.4db - if reported correctly shows your on a 3db profile - very little errors.

Try the test socket but in all honesty, it's a clean but long line from looking briefly at the stats. Be surprised if the line improves at the test socket.

-

EE Fibre+ 78980 | 19999kbps

Zyxel VMG1312-B10A + Asus RT-AC68U
Standard User nick9one1
(newbie) Fri 27-Nov-20 11:30:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks for the suggestions.

I've checked my cabinet number on btwholesale, which tells me it's cabinet 1.
My local council planning site shows Installation of Broadband Cabinet | PCP001 on a map. I can also see 001 painted on the cabinet.

The distance by road is 482 metres, and 300 as the crow flies. Even at 482m, I think I should be getting more than 24Mbps?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-20 11:34:12
Print Post

Still need you to test via the test socket when you can - this then rules out issues within your house.

Wires don't necessarily travel straight to the cabinet - there are instances where they travel away from the cabinet on one side of the road to then cross the road and come back towards the cabinet - this could add significant distance to the cable. Without actually tracing the cable in the ground (or on poles which would be easier if they are overhead) then it is difficult to know actual route.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Nov-20 11:51:09
Print Post

What is the range of predictions on the BT Wholesale checker?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Nov-20 13:49:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
Wires don't necessarily travel straight to the cabinet - there are instances where they travel away from the cabinet on one side of the road to then cross the road and come back towards the cabinet - this could add significant distance to the cable. Without actually tracing the cable in the ground (or on poles which would be easier if they are overhead) then it is difficult to know actual route.

Not to mention that the VDSL cabinet may be a non-trivial distance away from the PCP. In my case it adds about 80m, although I think that's towards the upper end of what's allowed.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 27-Nov-20 14:32:36
Print Post

As mentioned, you neeed to consider teh postential for cporssing road, going round loops, or down sidestrees; then add the distance between te PCP and FTTC cabinets, plus the distance up/down poles ... An extreme example occurs with some friends: house to exchange (straight line) - 800m; by road - 1.5km; actual line length exceeds 9 km.

If it was 482m then you should be seeing a sync in high 70s, or maybe even into te 80s. Put teh unknownsd in and you coudl be well down.

What does the BT checker say for your number and also, your neighbours on either side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Fri 27-Nov-20 16:03:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

My FRITZ!Box says its 563m from the box. Knowing the run of the ducts I think that's reliable. I take it that not all routers report a distance then. But my router must be calculating it or obtaining data from somewhere. Can a line length be worked out for any router?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to