General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ponyman
(learned) Sat 28-Nov-20 19:41:47
Print Post

FTTP who does what

[link to this post]

I am due to get FTTP by June 2022 under the Welsh Government scheme. There is already active fibre at the end of my drive because it is on the route to the local primary school which is already FTTP enabled.
What else do Openreach do as part of the general deployment before I can get on to an ISP to sign up for decent speed?
(All services are overhead)
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Nov-20 22:51:53
Print Post

Re: FTTP who does what

[re: ponyman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ponyman:
I am due to get FTTP by June 2022 under the Welsh Government scheme. There is already active fibre at the end of my drive because it is on the route to the local primary school which is already FTTP enabled.
What else do Openreach do as part of the general deployment before I can get on to an ISP to sign up for decent speed?
(All services are overhead)
You may be asking a bit too much if you're hoping for a blow by blow account of a fibre infrastructure build from beginning to end.

The fibre passing your property is unlikely to have any bearing on a fibre infrastructure deployment to your property.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Nov-20 09:24:23
Print Post

The thing on the pole that accepts a connection to your property is called a Connectorised Block Terminal (CBT).

The infrastructure then goes:

CBT ------>
CBT ------> Splitter (usually underground) ------> Fibre aggregation node (ditto)
CBT ------>

The school may not have FTTP - it could be a leased line - in which case all the FTTP infrastructure has to be installed from scratch, all the way back to the fibre aggregation node. That could be many kilometres away and could involve digging roads, replacing bad poles, and so on.

Even if the school has FTTP, the cable which runs past your house doesn't help you; they can't cut the cable to pull fibres out. The only way it would help is if the existing splitter node is positioned such that it could also serve your property. In that case, the CBT on the pole outside your house can connect back to that splitter node.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman3
(regular) Sun 29-Nov-20 12:30:24
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

nothign going to happen any time soon it you by June 2022 thats nearly 18 months away
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Nov-20 22:56:04
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman3:
nothign going to happen any time soon it you by June 2022 thats nearly 18 months away
Possibly, lots of pre-build stuff that needs to be completed beforehand, lets hope for the OP that its June 2022 at the very latest.
Standard User ponyman
(learned) Mon 30-Nov-20 11:17:26
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Thank you very much, my knowledge has been greatly enhanced!
The reason I mentioned the school is because of this that I had from the council:
“Local Full Fibre Networks (LFFN) funding is designed to help roll out the next generation, full fibre broadband connections to public buildings like schools and libraries. The idea is that by taking full fibre out to public buildings, the successful contractor will then connect homes and businesses along the fibre route and in the vicinity of the newly-connected public buildings. Work should be completed by March 2021, although Covid-19 may have pushed the time scale back a bit.“
The “successful contractor “ has obviously failed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Nov-20 11:29:50
Print Post

Which operator got the LFFN funding?

In lots of the English cases it has been CityFibre - and Gigabit cities follow a year or more after the LFFN work is done.

LFFN does not guarantee the roll-out of residential FTTP, which in the case of Openreach means GPON. For schools and libraries that will invariably be on a council network LFFN tends to bring upgrades to the leased line network in the area, rather than GPON being deployed to schools. For schools above a certain size a leased line is the only realistic option.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ponyman
(learned) Mon 30-Nov-20 11:42:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Openreach have the contract because my contact at the council has meetings with them. Does this make it more or less likely that I will see anything soon?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Nov-20 12:33:54
Print Post

Pick a coin and flip it...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burble
(committed) Mon 30-Nov-20 16:28:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by ponyman:
Thank you very much, my knowledge has been greatly enhanced!
The reason I mentioned the school is because of this that I had from the council:
“Local Full Fibre Networks (LFFN) funding is designed to help roll out the next generation, full fibre broadband connections to public buildings like schools and libraries. The idea is that by taking full fibre out to public buildings, the successful contractor will then connect homes and businesses along the fibre route and in the vicinity of the newly-connected public buildings. Work should be completed by March 2021, although Covid-19 may have pushed the time scale back a bit.“
The “successful contractor “ has obviously failed.

But when did the school get fibre? the school just down the road from me got fibre a long time ago, before the scheme was dreamt up. We only got fibre years later, and it couldn't be tapped off the schools line, it was a whole new fibre scheme.
Standard User shortshrift27
(learned) Mon 30-Nov-20 17:16:46
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burble:
But when did the school get fibre? the school just down the road from me got fibre a long time ago, before the scheme was dreamt up. We only got fibre years later, and it couldn't be tapped off the schools line, it was a whole new fibre scheme.

CityFibre has in a number of areas started with a dark fibre network (connecting public sector sites) and then used this as a foundation for FTTH. In which case the FTTH is an outgrowth of the same basic network (though, no, you can't "tap off" a particular end-user fibre).

Apparently this is Openreach, not CityFibre, and I don't think we know on what basis the school got their fibre.
Standard User ponyman
(learned) Mon 30-Nov-20 17:25:21
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

I haven’t been able to find the answer to that question - I found out from a parent at the school and when I told my contact at the council he said “thank you, openreach wouldn’t tell me”!
I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that you are right about a long wait.
I just hope it gets done before the money runs out which is what happened with the last Welsh Government scheme.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Nov-20 17:35:26
Print Post

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shortshrift27:
CityFibre has in a number of areas started with a dark fibre network (connecting public sector sites) and then used this as a foundation for FTTH. In which case the FTTH is an outgrowth of the same basic network (though, no, you can't "tap off" a particular end-user fibre).

Apparently this is Openreach, not CityFibre, and I don't think we know on what basis the school got their fibre.

CityFibre apparently only has one network in Wales, at Newport, and this is not a Gigabit City.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to